Northeast Preppers?

Funny Pictures of the Day thread has a little more than double the posts but 5x the number of page views. That's where their minds are...

Personally, my prep kit consists of cash and a passport.

Curious, short of a deserted island, you really think the rest of the world is status quo if America is belly up? I'll take my chances here, although, Northern Canada sounds nice.

Curious, short of a deserted island, you really think the rest of the world is status quo if America is belly up?

I don't know. US is a huge land mass; it has a relatively small population but incredible wealth. Would be an interesting exercise for some macro-economist.

In the MENA area, when SHTF for real, anyone with a little bit of money got the hell out of there. Those that didn't, fought or hid. I wasn't knocking anyone's strategy, just sharing mine.

To my surprise, I never had any problem with the "other half" when it came to prepping. Infact she calls the basement food racks..zombie racks. Tonight our discussion over pizza and a glass of wine was how to find fuel to power the generators and M35, and she started the conversation. Every 2 weeks we go grocery shopping, and every trip we now get at least 2 #10 cans of something for the zombie rack. This week she learned about Mylar bags and o2 absorbers.

And one thing I over looked that she brought up was medical supplies, which I will start on next. She has allready learned how to shoot a weapon, repair a weapon, start a fire with a 9 volt battery and steel wool or dryer lint, dress a deer and she even has her own magnesium stick, knife and survival blankets in her car.

So far so good.

OK, frozen pizza and a wine cellar are doable. Bandaids and peroxide are also good and useful year 'round. What are O2 absorbers? Don't we WANT O2?

I make my own wine so I am all set in that area, it also has a certain medicinal value as well. 02 absorbers are packets that go inside the sealed mylar bags of rice, oats, ect. They absorb the 02 inside so food wont go bad.

I, like most people have trouble finding like minded individuals when it comes to prepping. I thought finding someone I could talk about gun stuff with was difficult to find!

Last edited:
I don't know. US is a huge land mass; it has a relatively small population but incredible wealth. Would be an interesting exercise for some macro-economist.

In the MENA area, when SHTF for real, anyone with a little bit of money got the hell out of there. Those that didn't, fought or hid. I wasn't knocking anyone's strategy, just sharing mine.

No worries, I didn't think you were knocking it. To me the world financial system's backbone is the American dollar and if that falls apart its like kicking a pile of dominos. You might be right though seeing as we also have the most guns per capita, makes for an interesting situation.

Hiya, I'm Mahk and I'm preppin' for the big twistah.

Now I've hear all about these big twistahs since I was kid - I saaw that little girl from Kansas goin' all ovah the place relyin' awn all kindsa strangahs and thawt it waas a bit much and since then I've been preppin'.

Last yeah we had one hit just down the road a ways in Westin' Mass and it shook the whole region up sumpin' fierce I tell ya. All the folks down at the dinah was talkin' 'bout it fuh weeks.

Well, I'm doon my paht and gettin ready - heahs what I gawt so fah:
Ovah heah I gawt a shelf with enough stuff to last me out a big twistah. I gawt a case of Allens cawffee brandee and a couple cases o' Cheez Whiz to go awn the crackahs I gawt right heah.

Now on the wall I got my twistah clawk - its just like the doomsday clawk only for twistahs. Right now weah awn "Left Hand Yellah" which is the lowest t'reat level for twistahs - When the clawk elevates a level Chubby Chekkah comes ovah the loud speakah and we "twist again, like we did last summah!"

Um tellin' ya I'm all set for the big twistah if it happens b'tween Augustah and Bangah - Dat reminds me ,you evah heah da love song from Maine? It's called, "I drove from Augustah to Bangah and awl I did was kissah!" Oh itsa butte.

OK so thats awl from me, Mahk, down heah in the twistah bunkah - If you gawt any questchuns just post 'em down heah and I'll try to answerum. See you necks week awn New England Preppahs

None of us know if or what might happen so it is pointless to prepare for some specific type of calamity.

To me, prepping is having a good supply of durable food and water, basic survival (read as camping gear for convenience) and some thought on how to use the stuff and protect oneself, without getting so obsessed that it controls your very life...

I have a better chance than many, less of a chance than some, depending on what happens.

Check out my post on medical lessons to be learned by 76 year-old diabetic with heart disease who survived 10 days in the desert eating snow.

Do you agree with the points I make? Anything to add? Has anyone had similar experiences for even a day or two? http://www.thesurvivaldoctor.com/2012/04/10/survival-lessons-why-did-only-one-man-live/
Good info, and well worth a read for the folks that think they can just walk off to safety without proper planning and skills.

"Due to budgetary reasons, the end of the world has been postponed indefinitely..."

I read that funny line on this forum and I love it... it sums up my thoughts exactly as to how some people fail to prep seriously, others just bury their heads in the sand.

I started by picking up a few extra items with every trip to the supermarket or walmart... and I've stockpiled a stash of ammo and supplies. Just a few months ago I had almost no preps, now I'm happy to see my SHTF stash has actually become pretty respectable--> without breaking the bank!

Relating to the topic, one of the best parts is that my girlfriend went from thinking I'm nuts.... to now where she actively participates in preps and she helps out. Like someone else said in this thread, she really seemed to change her attitude about preps when she saw what used to be a perpetually empty pantry is now stocked. She feels safer and she's happy to be more prepared and thanks me for what I have done.

I suggest getting your lady involved in areas she likes and explain how realistic disasters such as the twistah show how important it is to be prepared and not wait for handouts that aren't coming when SHTF. Show her YouTube videos of real, recent U.S. riots, etc... that helps...

YouTube has a hurricane Katrina video and someone is bitching "Where is the gov't to take care of us? They HAVE to take care of us!"
Well, we see how that played out...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom