Northeast Militia?

Ohio has an organized militia that is NOT the National Guard and is NOT under the thumb of the Federal government: Ohio Military Rserve.

Several other states do to. I know Alabama has one for sure.

Besides, the unorganized militia wears no uniforms and does not drill regularly under the auspices of the .gov. Read the US Code.

Massachusetts does as well. Great in theory, awesome in the event of a gov't shtf, but in reality all they do is clean the armories.

Nothing wrong with having a standby or other people to shoot with.

I believe the Militia in Mass is out of the Worcester area. I talked with one of their senior guys for a little bit last year. I was actuall thinking of helping out. It never came to be, but I did like the fact that they train with the NG.

Is this the Mass state guard ? I got the impression all they did was stuff like hand out waterbottles and as it has been said - clean the armories. I have an application and it asks about having an FID or LTC. I wouldn't expect to get trigger time on any full auto (Or any guard weapons) but I can't help but wonder what kind of training ?

It never came to be, but I did like the fact that they train with the NG.

They don't, really.

Is this the Mass state guard ? I got the impression all they did was stuff like hand out waterbottles and as it has been said - clean the armories.

That's about it. Not to diminish what they do or are capable of.

by joining this, would that increase your chances at an ALP, or decrease them because your chief now thinks you're a nut of some kind?

Contact them; they'll send you a letter and invite you down for a drill day. I contacted them a year ago but my foot was acting up and I never followed up on it as I was in a walking "boot". I'm hoping that it clears up so I can follow up on this next year.

Try contacting this guy: LTC(MA) Robert Karasinski - [email protected]

I'd love to see what their "Drills" are all about.

They probably involve heavy use of these:

brcp1397.jpg

xlbi2611.jpg

My opinion is this: when the SHTF, my place is protecting and safeguarding my family. Not delivering meals on wheels or directing traffic on an Interstate.

They probably involve heavy use of these
Might want to contact them before making fun of them, no?

My opinion is this: when the SHTF, my place is protecting and safeguarding my family. Not delivering meals on wheels or directing traffic on an Interstate.
Gee, I'm so glad that the police, firefighters & EMTs of Massachusetts don't share your attitude. Not to mention the Nat'l Guard units. [rolleyes]

Gee, I'm so glad that the police, firefighters & EMTs of Massachusetts don't share your attitude. Not to mention the Nat'l Guard units. [rolleyes]

Since I agreed with Jose, I'm gonna talk to this one luv. Those you mention get paid to do the job they signed up for. If the SHTF, I'm sure they would much rather be with their families, but they can't. Since I'm probably too old and have too many physical problems, the Militia probably wouldn't accept me, so, I'll use my brain and preparations to make sure my family is all right. That way the police, emt's, etc.etc. don't have to worry about doing that.

I'm gonna argue with you, Lynne. I know plenty of volunteer firefighters & EMT's (including my favorite nephew). I feel sure that they'll be on the job even if they're NOT getting paid.

And you might want to check with them before you assume that they won't accept you. IIRC, "uniformed" needs to be able to do some kind of physical drill; non-uniformed do not.

And you might want to check with them before you assume that they won't accept you. IIRC, "uniformed" needs to be able to do some kind of physical drill; non-uniformed do not.

I'm insulin dependent diabetic sweets, plus I have 4 stents in my heart. I've given up trying (for stuff like this anyway), but thanks. [smile]

One of my operators was in the MA state guard for a couple of years. I gave him his one weekend and two weeks a year to train, not only with NG but Regular Army as well. These guys are the true sense of militia. They answer to no government entity until asked to do so (they were federalized during WWII) They are supported by no government entity, unless they happen to get some surplus stuff headed for the dumpster. Most of their stuff belongs to them, equipment and all.

Don't discount what they do.

Might want to contact them before making fun of them, no?
I might. But after six years of active duty military service, I'm pretty sure the majority of their time is not spent on actual skills training.
I could care less what others do. I could not live with myself if something happened to my wife or daughter while I was away on "patrol" during times of unrest.

And since I did spend a significant amount of time away from my loved ones in the service of the nation, I am entitled to some leeway here. [rolleyes]

I might. But after six years of active duty military service, I'm pretty sure the majority of their time is not spent on actual skills training.
I repeat: you might want to ask them what they do before belittling them.

I could care less what others do. I could not live with myself if something happened to my wife or daughter while I was away on "patrol" during times of unrest.
I can understand that.

And since I did spend a significant amount of time away from my loved ones in the service of the nation, I am entitled to some leeway here. [rolleyes]
Yup... but you're not entitled to belittle others who are still in service, whether it's to the nation or the state... or a town, for that matter.

I'm insulin dependent diabetic sweets, plus I have 4 stents in my heart. I've given up trying (for stuff like this anyway), but thanks. [smile]
I don't know if this is one of their needs, but perhaps communications people are needed? Certainly I know ham operators who are laboring under the same kind of disabilities but who turn out for their field days.

Last edited:
I don't know if this is one of their needs, but perhaps communications people are needed? Certainly I know ham operators who are laboring under the same kind of disabilities but who turn out for their field days.

It seems I furthered this crap storm since I actually have a working knowledge of them.

First, they are a rag tag bunch. That doesn't diminish what they do. Why are they rag tag, then? Well, they buy their own uniforms and in most cases, equipment. They don't get paid. They don't have much support. Most of the one's I've met can't serve any other way for various reasons (criminal, medical, etc). They show up because they WANT to be there, and do what ever crap jobs they are asked to do. In between that, they find time to train and perform their other duties.

If you want to serve your community, state, and country, I'd first say contact me and I'll slap you in the National Guard. If you can't, for whatever reason, yet still want to serve then look them up. Even you, Lynn, could most likely find a spot to help out.

Hate to bump up an old thread, but are there any organizations like this in CT?

I haven't found anything via Google...

Back
Top Bottom