• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Northeast Kingdom VT

tuna

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Just got an unofficial offer for a job in Canaan Vt. I accepted and now I’m waiting to find details.

Anyone live in the area that has any advice?
Should I look for a place to live in VT or NH? Any benefit either way?
What should I be worried about? Where should I be looking? Is there any “bad” locations to be aware of?
Which state is better to reside and get an out of state license for the other?

Continued thoughts and prayers that I can do this.

Racenet

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got an unofficial offer for a job in Canaan Vt. I accepted and now I’m waiting to find details.

Anyone live in the area that has any advice?
Should I look for a place to live in VT or NH? Any benefit either way?
What should I be worried about? Where should I be looking? Is there any “bad” locations to be aware of?
Which state is better to reside and get an out of state license for the other?

Continued thoughts and prayers that I can do this.
Banjo music playing in the distance. [smile]

JayMcB

NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Higher cost of living? The real estate is dirt cheap up there. There are a ton of old farmhouses for sale under $100k.
ok, I made up that VT property taxes are the second highest in the US and the 4th worse overall tax burden

a cheap mortgage doesn't help when you add a crippling amount every month on the payment for taxes and insurance.

I say this with irony, because in metrowest where I live, our property taxes and insurance are more than the principal and interest in our monthly payment

bigben111435

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes VT property tax is astronomical.
Also no hi cap mags anymore.
The anti gun legislation is coming hard and fast in VT.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
More and more law makers in VT are transplants from NYC. The politics are crazy bad and VT is full of democrat voters. In fact Gun Owners of VT needs to censor anyone who comments that democrats are the problem when it comes to gun ownership rights. They need pro gun dems (politicians and voters) up there to survive.

Remember, VT gave us Bernie sanders.

Also VT taxes you on a home purchase, then they tax you on a home sale. So they get you coming and going.

C. Stockwell

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I absolutely love the NEK, especially Lyndonville, but I couldn't live there because of Vermont's overall higher cost of living (which drives down real estate values) and the mag ban.

Move to a town in NH.

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
Wow, that really is up there.

As far as working in one state but living in another, I would think that living and working in the same state would be best. UNLESS there were some really strong reason(s) such as working in Mass but living in NH. One other reason would be to consider the feelings of the people in the place where you would be working. This appears to be a very small town and they might be a bit off-put by a newcomer taking a job there but living in NH. Living there may help you integrate into the community a bit easier.

In any case I hope that if you get the job it's what you hope and that you enjoy the move.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
a cheap mortgage doesn't help when you add a crippling amount every month on the payment for taxes and insurance.

I say this with irony, because in metrowest where I live, our property taxes and insurance are more than the principal and interest in our monthly payment
Sorry, but I don't buy your numbers. Are you claiming that your annual property taxes and insurance exceed your annual mortgage P&I payments, or just that your annual property taxes and insurance exceed one month of P&I? If the latter, that is true for just about everyone, so no big deal.

In the greater Boston area, a tiny starter house would cost $400k. Yes, I would be willing to pay $10k a year more in real estate taxes if I could get a comparable house for $300k less. It would take 30 years to make up the difference.

bigben111435

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, but I don't buy your numbers. Are you claiming that your annual property taxes and insurance exceed your annual mortgage P&I payments, or just that your annual property taxes and insurance exceed one month of P&I? If the latter, that is true for just about everyone, so no big deal.

In the greater Boston area, a tiny starter house would cost $400k. Yes, I would be willing to pay $10k a year more in real estate taxes if I could get a comparable house for $300k less. It would take 30 years to make up the difference.
Hahaha at this juncture, a single family home worth 400k in boston is either held together with paper clips and glue, or it is in a turbulent neighborhood.
A 1500sqft move in ready home in or around boston is 500k plus all day long.

A home with t111 siding and roll roofing in VT or NH is worth it in spades just to be out of boston area.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
VT is desperate for people to move to the more rural areas. The old timers are dying off and the yutes are in full retreat, destined for more hip urban areas. There are towns on the verge of not existing in any meaningful way. However, it you are an outdoors enthusiast, it is incredible. Hiking, skiing, MTB, canoeing, snowshoeing, hunting, and fishing opportunities abound. There are backcountry skiing opportunities away from the resorts and just a ton of things to do. That is unless you are looking for nightlife or stuff you really need a city for.

As has been stated already, there are lots of lefties. Tons of them. They congregate in Chittenden county and Montpelier, where they control the rest of the state. The sticks are far more conservative or at least live and let live. It can get weird in some of the out of the way towns. Some of the border towns have very little going for them and it shows.

The beer is world class.

JayMcB

NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0

Your math sucks. Any appreciation would be zero on the tax dollars amount as opposed to the real estate.

mtnbiker26

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
East Burke is a mountain bike mecca in the summer. Kingdom Trails and Burke Mountain are EXTREMELY popular with all types of riders...Some hardcore and some family oriented. Lots of tourism, Air BnB's, etc. Could be an opportunity for a side hustle in hospitality or owning some sort of rental property, cabin, etc.

SpaceCritter

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely love the NEK, especially Lyndonville, but I couldn't live there because of Vermont's overall higher cost of living (which drives down real estate values) and the mag ban.

Move to a town in NH.
KT is just a 45-minute drive from our house lot across the river in Lisbon. [banana][cheers]

tuna

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Thanks for the responses so far.

We’re looking to rent to start with, so we have time to decide on where to stay.

As for loonie lefties, I’m in Mass so what’s the difference? Lol.

While I support standard cap mags, it isn’t a dealbreaker for me. My free(er) state gun would be along the lines of the Rossi Ranch Hand, not an AR with bayonet and collapsible stock.

Im probably still phucked in regards to income tax no matter which side I settle on, no?

I’m looking both sides of the border. I think it’s still a move up from Springfield no matter what. B

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Your math sucks. Any appreciation would be zero on the tax dollars amount as opposed to the real estate.
I kept it simple for you. You're welcome.
Here is a real world example: a current listing for a 3 br/1 ba, 3200 s.f. home in Canaan VT for $69,500. RE taxes are $2,500 annually, according to the listing--hardly a crushing tax bill.

C. Stockwell

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the responses so far.

We’re looking to rent to start with, so we have time to decide on where to stay.

As for loonie lefties, I’m in Mass so what’s the difference? Lol.

While I support standard cap mags, it isn’t a dealbreaker for me. My free(er) state gun would be along the lines of the Rossi Ranch Hand, not an AR with bayonet and collapsible stock.

Im probably still phucked in regards to income tax no matter which side I settle on, no?

I’m looking both sides of the border. I think it’s still a move up from Springfield no matter what. B
I haven't worked in VT but I'd imagine they collect VT income tax if you live in another state and commute in for work.

There's a vast difference between Mass, VT, and NH communists. The best way to describe VT's is "crunchy granola transplants." Although in the end, they all want to enforce communism. Hint: Comrade Sanders is from NY, not VT.

If you're willing to live in a state with a mag ban, VT is tolerable but you're still paying through the nose for everything. Gas in VT is more expensive than in Mass or RI, never mind NH. Vermont is a relatively poor state in comparison to NH and Mass.

I think the worst part of VT is that their Republican governor sold gun owners down the river for absolutely no reason. On purely 2A issues, Sununu is better than Phil Scott.

Visit VT a few times before picking a place. Think about why no one lives there.

Asaltweapon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
My sister has a nice place in East Burke they snowmobile and ski out of. I never heard her bitch about the taxes but she doesn't bitch in general.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I'd say to try and stay on the NH side. Shall issue pistol permit. $10 and due within 14 days of application. You will need this to purchase handguns in NH from other residents (if you don't know them); however, VT now has a UBC. Standard cap mags are still legal. VT you needed to own them prior to the ban. You will pay income tax to Vermont, and even higher property taxes in NH (on house and yearly at car registration) but even when I worked in VT, I lived in NH for the above FA Freedom reasons.

tuna

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
As fortune would have it, house rentals are much more available in NH. Looks like NH it is.

So, should I refer to myself and family as refugees fleeing Mass, or as escapees? I need some term to get the point across that I want to integrate, and not bring Mass ways north.
Maybe if I started to use my directionals when driving?

Top Bottom