North Woods Law - Animal Planet

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I've only ever had encounters with the Mass Environmental Cops. They stand at launch ramps checking every boat and busting people's [email protected] But watching the Maine show I just viewed it as harassment. Most recently I saw a show...don't remember if it was NH or ME. Three brothers got deer with a bow and they all tagged them. So the game wardens thought three in the same family all getting deer with a bow was unusual and worth investigating. Basically these guys were too successful so we will investigate you and try to get you to admit to a crime. There was no other reason to investigate. The tags were in order and there was no evidence or any report of them taking deer illegally but still they were investigated. Then if you do not cooperate they revoke and suspend your hunting license for a year. On the show they made one of the brothers take them to where he killed his deer and they didn't prove that he didn't take the deer illegally they just proved they couldn't prove otherwise. But it's good the government has control....(sarc) Kind of makes you not want to hunt.
That was in NH during the first NH season, over in my corner of the state.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0

thanks. I can't keep track. Is my assessment fairly accurate? and do you think those events that turn out that way are real investigations or do you think they get the buy in from the hunter and stage the investigation just for some drama on the show?

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
thanks. I can't keep track. Is my assessment fairly accurate? and do you think those events that turn out that way are real investigations or do you think they get the buy in from the hunter and stage the investigation just for some drama on the show?
It seems legit to me. I have not heard anything to the contrary, but who knows. I bet they toss a bunch of investigations that would otherwise not be interesting enough to show on TV.

But it wouldnt surprise me if they need permission before airing it. Good question.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I agree that some of their prosecutions are BS. And others I can understand their point of view.

Poaching pretty much decimated deer populations 100 years ago. So I get it.

But some guy shooting across an empty road in the middle of nowhere to get a buck or a turkey? I'm less worried about that. Ditto fro the guy shooting a turkey with a shotgun near a dwelling. They talk like #4 shot goes for miles after it leaves the bbl with enough energy to drop an elephant. Meh.

I'll say it again, though. My interactions with the MA folks have been less than positive. They seem very anti-sportsman to me.

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
We happened to walk by "Lucas" from North Woods Law today in Bass Pro. He was shopping there with his son and the cute black doggie that was used on the show. He was busy chatting with someone so we didn't say anything to him, just petted the doggie and kept going.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The show just drives home the rule: do not talk to the cops

But it adds the rule: make sure your wife/relatives do not talk either
Or simply don't do stupid stuff you KNOW is against the law. Then, you don't have to talk to the cops about anything more than the weather. I know, I know, cop apologist here.

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Or simply don't do stupid stuff you KNOW is against the law. Then, you don't have to talk to the cops about anything more than the weather. I know, I know, cop apologist here.
i tend to agree. But it is geting to a point where just WAKING UP in the morning will be against the law. Why end up jacked up for some minor offense that you might not even have done?

I am no lawyer, but when one of those game wardens says "hey, if you tell me all about X, then i can treat you right".....why is it legal for this officer of the law to be able to lie to you?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am no lawyer, but when one of those game wardens says "hey, if you tell me all about X, then i can treat you right".....why is it legal for this officer of the law to be able to lie to you?
I've only watched a couple of episodes of that show:
As for stupid laws, I've already said I don't agree with them, and generally I don't enforce them unless by proxy helping a local LEO with something. I find nothing scary about a 30 oz paperweight, hell, I have one in my nightstand.

If you watch the show, from a technical sense, they do tend to go easier on people who are up front with them. There's a huge difference between a summons and an arrest. You are free to go until the court date, or you're in the back of the truck. To me at least, that's a pretty big difference: Have some time to get legal advice before you see a judge or see the judge within 48 hours, post bond, spend a day or two in jail, and then get a lawyer.

Generally speaking, I don't ask questions I don't already know the answer to, at least when I start questioning someone. Then it's verbal judo, see if the story holds up from multiple angles. If you really watch that show, they don't just 'randomly' show up places. Granted there's editing and all that, but I've worked in very small towns. There are known troublemakers, every LEO knows them in their area (at least in small towns). X goes missing, it's probably Bob. Y goes missing, it's Stella. It's not rocket science. Look at the difference in solving murders when it's a family member vs a complete stranger. The random stranger who kills is incredibly hard to figure out. Who shot a turkey out of season, in the middle of nowhere seems to me a little easier to deal with when you have known poachers in the area.

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Interesting article about the shortage of NHF&G officers:

TV fame hasn't helped Fish and Game with hiring more officers | New Hampshire

I met one a few weeks ago while up in Milan riding the ATV's.
I had seen him on the show, but he's not a weekly regular.
He was a real nice guy, me and my buddy had a great conversation with him.
(no, we weren't doing anything wrong and he didn't stop or ID us)
Some of these guys actually get fan mail from the show. [laugh]

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
$60K may be be acceptable if someone wants to live up north where the options are slim, but I would be less eager for that kind of pay down in the south and seacoast areas.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
And it's $60K/yr for 60 hours a week much of the year.

I think those guys on TV love their jobs. The rank-and-file? Not so much.

I'm surprised there is such competition for police recruits across NH. I would have thought that was a tough job to get in the first place.

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I just watched a rerun of one of the Maine episodes from 2015.
A guy in a pickup truck ran over a beaver at night, in a parking lot in Skowhegan.
They tracked the guy down with the help of a network of PD surveillance cameras set up around the town.
What I find surprising is the amount of police video surveillance is out there. If a small town like Skowhegan (pop. 8300) has these kinds of resources, imagine what the larger, better funded towns have, that the public is largely unaware of.

[tinfoil]

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think there IS some staging, and the cops act a lot more RAMBO than normal.

It is revealing how they try to trick everyone into talking and giving up all of their rights.

barnabus

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I think there IS some staging, and the cops act a lot more RAMBO than normal.

It is revealing how they try to trick everyone into talking and giving up all of their rights.
I stopped watching because of this.

I half expected the "Bad Boys" theme song.

Asaltweapon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
I just watched a rerun of one of the Maine episodes from 2015.
A guy in a pickup truck ran over a beaver at night, in a parking lot in Skowhegan.
They tracked the guy down with the help of a network of PD surveillance cameras set up around the town.
What I find surprising is the amount of police video surveillance is out there. If a small town like Skowhegan (pop. 8300) has these kinds of resources, imagine what the larger, better funded towns have, that the public is largely unaware of.

[tinfoil]
There is a reason Skowhegan has a bunch of cameras around.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Is that reason Meth or Heroin?

I keep watching the show. I'm not sure why. They seem to be taking a "we're not d-words" tack to the show now. Guys on ATV's with mod-exhaust - just a warning. 2 guys stealing tidal-pool immature lobsters (I think they had 22 - at $93/ea per in fines) and they didn't do a whole lot to them up front. TWENTY-TWO UNDERSIZED LOBSTERS! Those guys should be boiled alive!

In a way, I appreciate the non-d-word attitude.

radioman

NES Member
Rating - 96%
24   1   0
Oh you mean like this guy?

Man came to Brockton hospital with cut on hand, gun on his hip

Man I'd come to respect your opinion over the years but some pretty strange craps being said as of late...
First time I saw this link.
Quote from the article “the guns had trigger locks in place but weren’t in locked containers therefore improperly stored and seized for safe keeping” ??? Are you kidding me? I thought trigger locks were all you needed for proper storage in MA? I don’t use them because I have a safe but I thought trigger locks were good to go? This guy got screwed by cops who have no idea of what the law is.

Asaltweapon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Is that reason Meth or Heroin?
My biggest bitch is them not equally enforcing the laws. Modified pipes on a sled in the dead of winter with windows and doors closed up tight gets you a ticket but loud pipes on a bike, boat, car or truck in the middle of summer gets nothing from them.
They spy from the cover of shoreline to pounce on a boater under the vessel safety check BS. These guys buy there gas on the same dock as my boat is slipped. Surely they can see the condition of the boat and it’s safety equipment in plain view.

BigTimber

NES Member
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
My biggest bitch is them not equally enforcing the laws. Modified pipes on a sled in the dead of winter with windows and doors closed up tight gets you a ticket but loud pipes on a bike, boat, car or truck in the middle of summer gets nothing from them.
They spy from the cover of shoreline to pounce on a boater under the vessel safety check BS. These guys buy there gas on the same dock as my boat is slipped. Surely they can see the condition of the boat and it’s safety equipment in plain view.
they are more concerned about noise levels in the winter because of the added stress to wildlife during a already stressful time. ie chasing deer and moose off there yards when they may already be at a breaking piont.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
That's not what they said on TV. They said the noise level was to keep trails open. Land owners don't want the noise and are closing trails all over because of d-wad gas-powered-go-machine owners.

What we need is Elon Musk to make a quad.

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
My statement stands, the law says keep your paperweights locked up. He didn't.
Quote from the article “the guns had trigger locks in place but weren’t in locked containers therefore improperly stored and seized for safe keeping”

This guy got screwed by cops who have no idea of what the law is.
No kidding. Tell me about it...

BigTimber

NES Member
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
That's not what they said on TV. They said the noise level was to keep trails open. Land owners don't want the noise and are closing trails all over because of d-wad gas-powered-go-machine owners.

What we need is Elon Musk to make a quad.
Wouldn’t surprise me if that was part of their thinking as well.

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Last night there was the same situation with Turkey hunting. A father and son both bagged a Turkey , the same flock, the same time, within seconds of his fathers shot he shot both got their birds. The envirocops suspected the father shot both birds. There was a third brother who witnessed it and they questioned him too.

Rating - 80%
4   1   0
f***ing flatlanders.
The red plates are coming, the red plates are coming!

Maines a scary place. Had a guy shoot at a white bronco in the middle of the woods because he thought it was a bear. Good stuff.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
$60K to be a F&G officer???? Not surprising. Maybe NH could start an income tax. LOL
Yep. Overpaid for a job a lot of cops would like to do.

$60K may be be acceptable if someone wants to live up north where the options are slim, but I would be less eager for that kind of pay down in the south and seacoast areas.
I'd kill for that kind of money anywhere. (yeah, I know, not in NYC or something similar). I had to work all sorts of weird hours (come in at 6am/you're staying until 2am/ come in on your day off for mandatory training) for high 40's, and that was living paycheck-to-paycheck in western NH.

And it's $60K/yr for 60 hours a week much of the year.

I think those guys on TV love their jobs. The rank-and-file? Not so much.

I'm surprised there is such competition for police recruits across NH. I would have thought that was a tough job to get in the first place.
If they didn't have such ridiculous standards, they wouldn't have to pay so much. My grandfather became a cop in his 30's. Was he perfect? Nope, but he lived and grew up in the town where he worked. Things were more like Mayberry. Now, they want you to be an olympic athlete with a master's degree and a spotless record. Bunch of BS. No wonder they have to pay so much to find those people - and then they get fat from riding around, working weird hours, and turn dirty anyway.

Top Bottom