North shore range

Anyone know of a good north shore range? i was originally from Quincy and we used to go to Braintree. We started going to Bobs but after seeing the crowds there its kinda scary. Anything like Braintree around the northshore?

Not sure what Braintree is like but Andover is nice. You should check the range forum as this has been asked over there plenty. Depending upon where you are Harvard is'nt to much further and is about the best around.

Georgetown.
No indoor ranges.
Outdoor 100 yd. rifle.
Pistol range.
25 yd. midrange.
Trap range
Archery range.
Nothing fancy, but a good place to shoot.

We started going to Bobs but after seeing the crowds there its kinda scary.
Yup. Next time you're thinking of going to Bob's....don't!!....I'd go literally anywhere else before I'd ever go there (or I'd wear Kevlar, ballistic helmet, full gear etc if you HAD to go)....As I've said here previously, the last time I was there, and definitely the last time I'll ever go, was the classic.... A group of young women simultaneously texting, laughing, joking, giggling...and TEXTING.....WHILE shooting.... I tried advising them about safety but they were much too busy taking "Selfie's" and posting them to Facebook than to listen to some "Grandpa" advising them to keep the muzzle (the one on the gun [wink]) pointed in a safe direction, etc etc... Never again!

are you looking for a range to join or one open to the public ? i ask this since you mentioned bobs . and where exactly do you live ? the north shore is a big area .

Any ranges that do not require a membership? I would eventually like to join one but money will be tight after i buy my m&p9c, shield or xds

Google "Martin Burns public range" - it's free you just have to write a letter to request a permit. There's some threads on it on NES.

After that, I'd go to Granite State just over the border in NH, that's the closest. If you're feeling like offing yourself, there's Bob's.

Google "Martin Burns public range" - it's free you just have to write a letter to request a permit. There's some threads on it on NES.

After that, I'd go to Granite State just over the border in NH, that's the closest. If you're feeling like offing yourself, there's Bob's.

Ive been to GS and it was a nice place. I will enjoy the drive and avoid bobs

cape ann
MRA
Woburn
North Reading
Georgetown
North Andover
Haverhill - remember them?
Danvers

I'm sure there are others but this is a start

Just go to Harvard or Pelham and suffer the commute - it's worth it

I wouldn't mind joining a club. Harvard is kinda far. I'm in revere if that helps. Andover is 30 minutes no traffic

MB is patroled by a JBT, steer clear.

did you read the Martin Burns thread, pertaining to the altercation between Ben, his Gf, and myself? The JBT was a dickless waste of skin.

Sadly no - interested and will read the thread - It is just hurtful that the LEO are so full of dick heads that we can't have nice things - it's one thing if there are dick head users to fawk it all up but to have LEO do the fawking...

I hate the state I live in - lots of meaning in that sentence, most apply - sadly

Yup. Next time you're thinking of going to Bob's....don't!!....I'd go literally anywhere else before I'd ever go there (or I'd wear Kevlar, ballistic helmet, full gear etc if you HAD to go)....As I've said here previously, the last time I was there, and definitely the last time I'll ever go, was the classic.... A group of young women simultaneously texting, laughing, joking, giggling...and TEXTING.....WHILE shooting.... I tried advising them about safety but they were much too busy taking "Selfie's" and posting them to Facebook than to listen to some "Grandpa" advising them to keep the muzzle (the one on the gun [wink]) pointed in a safe direction, etc etc... Never again!

Bob's as changed significantly since the last suicide. They will now only rent to you if at least one person in your party has a LTC, even though they're giving up a lot of revenue by not renting to non-licensees. You can't blame the owners if some whackjob decides to check himself out there, but they're hoping that if a LTC holder is bent on doing himself in, then he already has access to a gun at home and doesn't need to rent one from them.

I have been there a few times in the past couple months and they seem to be paying much more attention to what's going on in the range. I don't know if that is only because of the suicide, or if it also has to do with the son (or sons?) taking over the business from the father. I was talking to the new owner for some time a couple weeks after the recent suicide and he seems like a nice, hard working kid to whom I hope the gun owning community decides to show some support. I have bought a couple handguns there and felt I was treated well.

Bob's as changed significantly since the last suicide. They will now only rent to you if at least one person in your party has a LTC, even though they're giving up a lot of revenue by not renting to non-licensees. You can't blame the owners if some whackjob decides to check himself out there, but they're hoping that if a LTC holder is bent on doing himself in, then he already has access to a gun at home and doesn't need to rent one from them.

I have been there a few times in the past couple months and they seem to be paying much more attention to what's going on in the range. I don't know if that is only because of the suicide, or if it also has to do with the son (or sons?) taking over the business from the father. I was talking to the new owner for some time a couple weeks after the recent suicide and he seems like a nice, hard working kid to whom I hope the gun owning community decides to show some support. I have bought a couple handguns there and felt I was treated well.
I went by last week to check out an AK they have for sale, I can't speak for what they do now with renting but it was dark, cold and NO RANGE SAFETY OFFICER. I heard the guy say that the man sized target with a name on it was the Range officer. I didn't laugh.

I wouldn't mind joining a club. Harvard is kinda far. I'm in revere if that helps. Andover is 30 minutes no traffic
You're in Revere?.. Malden is very small, pistol only, but they have newer equipment than Mass Rifle Woburn. There's a very small range in Lynn.. Woburn has more space for everything, but I'm among the many (MANY) in there who are friggin tired of the old fashioned "hang some cardboard from a wire-coat-hanger thing that you have to twist and stab into the cardboard, then press the lever toward the "down" position only to have the thing try to reverse instead, etc etc... Minor inconvenience, but when you stop into a more modern facility (like Manchester Firing Line or the one in Attleboro, etc), you ask yourself "What the hell am I paying all this dough for at Mass Rifle, dealing with ranges and equipment that were "modern" back around the time Reagan was first inaugurated. I'd pay an additional 35 to 50 bucks a year there (maybe more) if they'd update the sh*t equipment.
Several members at Woburn have brought this up to the officials at MRA and the response is usually "No funds for it.. But we do have archery ranges, you can even bring your kids to, and outdoor clays, etc"

If I could build a Manchester Firing Line somewhere along the upper 128 belt I'd probably make a fortune. Especially if you add "archery" for the kids.. Mass Rifle Woburn? An expensive, antiquated (bad) joke.

You're in Revere?.. Malden is very small, pistol only, but they have newer equipment than Mass Rifle Woburn. There's a very small range in Lynn.. Woburn has more space for everything, but I'm among the many (MANY) in there who are friggin tired of the old fashioned "hang some cardboard from a wire-coat-hanger thing that you have to twist and stab into the cardboard, then press the lever toward the "down" position only to have the thing try to reverse instead, etc etc... Minor inconvenience, but when you stop into a more modern facility (like Manchester Firing Line or the one in Attleboro, etc), you ask yourself "What the hell am I paying all this dough for at Mass Rifle, dealing with ranges and equipment that were "modern" back around the time Reagan was first inaugurated. I'd pay an additional 35 to 50 bucks a year there (maybe more) if they'd update the sh*t equipment.
Several members at Woburn have brought this up to the officials at MRA and the response is usually "No funds for it.. But we do have archery ranges, you can even bring your kids to, and outdoor clays, etc"

If I could build a Manchester Firing Line somewhere along the upper 128 belt I'd probably make a fortune. Especially if you add "archery" for the kids.. Mass Rifle Woburn? An expensive, antiquated (bad) joke.

I just joined Andover, try it, nice place and they're building two new ranges. Hurry though cause they will shut down applications soon, until Sept I think.

Country pond fish and gAme newton nh. 24 hour indoor pistol range up to 44 magnum. 100 yard rifle with nice shooting benches. Trap 3 days a week. Plenty of events.

I just joined Andover, try it, nice place and they're building two new ranges. Hurry though cause they will shut down applications soon, until Sept I think.

Yeah they don't take new members over the summer and they have a cap most months on number of applications accepted but they are doing a big meeting in June. Info on deadline and big acceptance meeting in the directors notes. Definitely read the site before applying. I am a member there, and like it. I have met most of the officers over the course of my membership and they all are great.

http://andoversportsmensclub.org/content/articles/2016/board-directors-update-april-2016

I now shoot Trap there pretty much every Wednesday, and its a good group of guys. (Its Wednesday today!)

Back
Top Bottom