• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

North Central/Central Worcester County Ranges?

This is my first post so let me just start by saying hello to everyone and by posting a bit about myself! I'm an MA native and while I've had an interest in firearms for a while I've not had as much opportunity to shoot as I would like. I'm mostly interested in casual rifle/pistol shooting and at this point I own a CZ-75B and a Savage MK II. I'm 23 years old and am currently a meat cutter's apprentice, which I very much enjoy.

Now, I am looking for a range around Hubbardston Mass, but looking around it seems like many ranges in the area either don't offer much as far as facilities go, or require sponsorship from a member. At this point I'm only a very casual shooter, so I haven't really met many people who shoot yet.

For the time being, I just really want somewhere I can legally shoot rifle/pistol. I don't have much preference on indoor or outdoor, but I would like ranges at or beyond 25 yards so my ideal club would probably be outdoor. Trap/skeet is not a requirement, but options are always nice. I'm not adverse to putting in work time at a club, but I do work full time and most weekends so I am looking for some flexibility on that point.

Basically I'm looking for a club that is newbie/casual shooter friendly. I went to the GOAL site and saw the Eight Point Sportsmen's Club in Sterling that seemed to fit what I was looking for, but I'm not sure how they decide who becomes a member and who does not. It seems like they don't require new members to attend a meeting or have a sponsor or anything, so I don't know if they essentially just let anyone in who will pay and weed problems out afterwards? I will probably email them and check before I apply, but if anyone here has some experience with them let me know.

Anyways, thanks for any help you can provide! I'm glad to finally be posting here! I registered right about the same time I started to get busy with work and I've never had the opportunity to spend much time here! [rolleyes]

Welcome!
There are a couple of clubs near Hubbardston.
N Fitchburg Rod and Gun
Royalston Gun Club
Woodsman R&P club in Ahol
Ptersham GC

A quick Google will get ya some numbers.

Thanks for the replies! Yes, the Athol club seems to be like what I am looking for. Both indoor and outdoor is nice. I will be checking out everything posted so far though.

As of right now, I'm not currently a member at any gun club. I believe there is a range/club in Hubbardston off of Williamsville Road (right behind Calico and Creme Ice Cream). I would also check out Woodman's in Athol, nice heated indoor range during the winter and a good outdoor range, as stated before, more than likely you'll have the range to yourself. (Personal experience.) [grin] I would also check out Barre Sportsman's Club as well.

Good luck!

Thanks for the new recommendations!

Eric H said:
I believe there is a range/club in Hubbardston off of Williamsville Road (right behind Calico and Creme Ice Cream).

There is the Hubbardston Rod & Gun Club in town, but to my knowledge they only have a tiny 25 yard range. I have been told they're a more social club and I can see that almost the entirety of their grounds are dedicated to their softball field rather than a shooting facility (Unless they have another range somewhere else?) . They have a waiting list anyways.

I'm actually trying to get in touch with someone at the Woodsman Rifle And Pistol Club in Athol but they don't have a phone number listed and I'm still waiting on a reply e-mail from them. Does anyone know what I need to do to join up there?

Yeah, Hubbardston Rod & Gun is more of a social club, even though it's only 25 yards. It's "nice" having a range relatively close by. If you intend to shoot pistols, it'll get the job done.

Since your located in Hubbardston, these guys are relatively close by; Barre Sportsman's Club @ http://www.barresportsmansclub.org/

Well, I ended up getting in contact with the Woodsman Rifle & Pistol club in Athol, and I just got back from getting the orientation! Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I'll save this page for future reference.

Back
Top Bottom