• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

North Attleboro, Ma "gun violence listening tour

Anyone know if there are metal detectors at the NAPD?

The ones at the Fall River PD were off for the "listening tour"

Anyone know if there are metal detectors at the NAPD?

The ones at the Fall River PD were off for the "listening tour"

I heard that they are bringing in the TSA to do the groping before the hearing! [shocked]

I kid, I kid! [rofl]

There is a Sticky thread here someplace that admonishes us NOT to ask these kind of questions and explains why! I suggest searching for it. [thinking]

I heard that they are bringing in the TSA to do the groping before the hearing! [shocked]

I kid, I kid! [rofl]

There is a Sticky thread here someplace that admonishes us NOT to ask these kind of questions and explains why! I suggest searching for it. [thinking]

Duly chastised - Seeing as I was the only one to show up at the Fall River PD it is not hard to figure out who I am (Other than the 'blood in the streets' FUDD, of course)

Hopefully, there will be a decent turnout of NESers that can drown out the uninformed and emotional.

So, I'm hoping for updates!!! Other than, of course, Rosenthal's now famous "I only need two bullets to hunt ducks, why should anyone need more?" speech. I mean, thats a knee slapper...

It was nice to see so many people and the infamous Scrivener show up and speak tonight. The woman at the end really did a great job reinforcing and summarizing what was discussed.
One thing that I noticed tonight was that NONE of the politicians who organized this meeting took any notes for themselves or their colleagues to help come up with a solution that would be agreeable to all parties involved. So I ask, was this basically a venting session for the big screwing that we all are about to receive in the near future? I think I know the answer already!

It was nice to see so many people and the infamous Scrivener show up and speak tonight. The woman at the end really did a great job reinforcing and summarizing what was discussed.
One thing that I noticed tonight was that NONE of the politicians who organized this meeting took any notes for themselves or their colleagues to help come up with a solution that would be agreeable to all parties involved. So I ask, was this basically a venting session for the big screwing that we all are about to receive in the near future? I think I know the answer already!
Well, DeLeo, et al, already said they know whats in it, and what they want to see. Rather amusing how its always us showing up, in spades, as opposed to groups that are bussed in, on the other side, by billionaire money. I cant wait for these new "laws", that will turn 300,000 law abiding citizens into criminals overnight-not because of anything we did, but because they pass "feel good laws". Although, I will say, I'm not really expecting anything bad out of this-I've had my ear to the ground, and it doesnt seem like any new laws affecting us are being considered. But, this is Massachusetts-people call in gun spottings for umbrellas, sticks, and guns.... :)

Thanks LenS!

Hi folks - many thanks to those that attended - and it was a GREAT turnout. I counted over 70 and that did not include the folks that were crowded by the doorway. I thank Rep Betty Poirier for her support for putting the meeting together.

If there was any anti-gunners there, they didn't say a peep. A very STRONG 2A message was delivered by all that spoke. About 15 people spoke, and were well supported after their statements. The woman that spoke at the very end was GREAT. Nailed many great point on the citizens mistrust of the direction their representatives are going. Really from the heart and sincere.

OldSoldier, I thank you, I did threaten to read off a list 20+ unlicensed firearm offenders that the Commonwealth dismissed this year (for everything from assault and battery to intent to murder), much like you did during your testimony in Worcester. It is a very effective message. When put together with the common demand to enforce the freaking laws, and quit with the constant slow death Right infringement every few years, it's hard to disagree with. Rock on man!

Thanks to LenS and a group of NES others that I not get to meet. Your voices were inspirational and wonderful to hear.

There is not really much more to report on the current state of the proposed legislation. Basically more of - things would be rolling out after the first of the year. I will say that it was good to put that many PRo2A folks in front of them. But, not naive, buckling my seatbelt for after the new year now...

I appreciate Jim Wallace for coming out, and I know that just as soon as there is something to report to us, he will be all over it.

Met with Sen. Richard Ross after the meeting. Was really good to speak with, Pro2A and a gun owner. I will be speaking with him more.

Thanks again folks, appreciate your time. We can be impressive, and well spoken when we turn out in numbers.

Asked Sen Timilty if the committee would keep the gun community updated as to the progress on their comprehensive bill - He was less than pleased but when pressured that what was meant was to keep Jim Wallace informed and engaged to ensure there is no misunderstood language in anything proposed (and Jim would keep us informed) he relented and stated that Jim was and will be part of the process.

What does this mean? Who knows at this point but I don't really see any actual reduction in restrictions mixed in with a lot of new "mental health" gymnastics to perform.

One can easily gauge where all of this is going by the process of the pepper spray bills that are stalled in the ways and means committee - Pro = dead; Anti=run with it

PW, sorry for the "fly by" with no opportunity to chat. After chatting with the panel members, my SO was hungry for dinner and off we had to go.

I was also a bit perplexed that only a few notes were taken by Rep. Naughton. Speaking with each one one-on-one afterwards, they all gave the impression of sincerity . . . however I know how politics really works and that is what scares me about what's coming down the pike.

At least we tried and that is all we can do in this state. Expecting success is really expecting too much in MA.

Permanent waves, glad you brought that up again. They need to keep hearing how they don't enforce the 2200 current laws-why should we be subjected to more, when the real criminals will still not abide by them? I think it's going to largely be mental health (I pressingly think it's horrible to tie that to this, but they are completely blind to that fact), and some submission to the ncic-which I am fine with. I think our hope to get a better overall licensing deal may die. Hell, if they cannot do something as simple as deregulate pepper spray, I don't think they will be warm to license fixing.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk

No problem at all LenS. Was good to hear you speak.

You know, there probably isn't too much they haven't heard. Rep Naughton looked the most interested with the woman at the very end.

I only really expect to soften the blow, it's hard to know what to expect, and it's hard to wait to find out. It's like waiting for a parent to get home after you know you messed up bad as a kid...

Yeah, agreed on the mental health check. Surprised that has not shown up in more of a Federal ass kicking yet.

Hope everyone can enjoy their holidays, while this looms in the background.

With the exception of Boston, we routinely showed up in numbers 3:1 or better. Even Boston, we had a strong showing. And, we didn't cart in union members, or school kids, to boost numbers.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk

I went tonight and brought my buddy along. I have to say that I was impressed with the turnout too. I am still trying to figure out the comments about "mental health" and the spin put on about it. Not sure how to take that. Was he defending the proposed restrictions or saying that he doesn't see mental health as a big part of the issues? His examples of pass or future mental health issues seemed interesting. Again I am not sure where he was going with it.

One thing that I noticed tonight was that NONE of the politicians who organized this meeting took any notes for themselves or their colleagues to help come up with a solution that would be agreeable to all parties involved.

There is no such thing possible. There is very little that could be passed without creating further infringement. The only hope is that whatever is pitched is minimally damaging, and perhaps, on a good day, engineered to fail (the only upshot of the MA legislative process is that a lot of things fail at the slightest provocation, even gun control) dragging the whole "post sandy hook braying festival where antis like to dance on the corpses of dead children" meme into the ground with it.

-Mike

There is no such thing possible.

Agreed, the sides are diametrically opposed. The best we can hope for is a bill that does substantively nothing but allows the gun control freaks to tell the folks at their coffe klatch, or their constituents, that they fought the good fight.

WRT the mental health issue, I still see this as a major stumbling block for the other side. They are just so concerned with ostracizing the mentally ill(irony at its finest) that they are as likely to do something stupid universally as they are to actually unlock records, IMHO. When I talked to Sen. Spilka several months ago, it was clear that she was more concerned with protecting the privacy of the mentally ill than the rights of gun owners, but was keen to keep guns out of the hands of the mentally ill. The only way you achieve both goals is to keep guns out of the hands of everyone.

Back
Top Bottom