• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Normal wear on cam pin clearance cut for AR 15

I've a fairly new AR. I've put about 300 - 400 rounds through it. I'm noticing some of the finish wearing off around the cam pin clearance cut (seeing a sliver of bright metal). Is this normal or something I should be concerned with?

I've got all the finish worn off my cam pins, too. I've got thousands of rounds thru both of my ARs. As long as there's no actually metal displacement, you should be good to go. Keep the oil to it and run it.

Bob P, that is normal wear for that part. You will find that the cam pin gets polished as it moves through the bolt carrier raceway. When you clean it, you will certainly notice if it no longer feels smooth, indicating uneven wear or abrasion.

I have been using Tetra Grease on the cam pin and raceway as well as on the underside of the bolt carrier that the trigger rides against. This is probably a "feel good" exercise for me and just as effective as a liberal application of gun oil would be. That is what everything else gets. [wink]

Back
Top Bottom