• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Norinco Hunter 386 in 7.62x39 probably a no-no in CT?

A buddy of mine has a friend, an older guy, who has had a Norinco Hunter 7.62x39 rifle with the circle 386 factory stamp sitting in his safe forever. The guy is looking to sell it outside of CT but my buddy in CT is interested and aksed me if it's ok in CT since it's not specifically listed by name and it's not technically an AK. If I read the CT ban correctly, any AK type (meaning AK action or it can share parts with an AK) is a no-no here. This gun sure looks like an AK action to me so I am thinking it's a no go but I thought I'd ask because I'm not that familiar with AKs and their variants. It looks like a nice gun but I don't want my best friend risking a felony over it.

So, is the Norinco Hunter 386 an AK variant and thus illegal in CT?

BTW, his nephew has a VZ-2008 that I am told is still OK in CT (just has to be registered) because it is not an AK action, can't share parts with an AK, even though it looks kinda like one and uses the same 7.62x39 round. Is that correct?

Thanks!

Even if its not an AK action, it fails on the number of evil features that it has.

No go.

This is the accidental felon that I keep talking about.

Well, luckily my buddy took my advice and did not buy it. I have to go back over the evil feature list just for funsies but I thought this particular gun only had the detachable mag, nothing else in the evil feature category. It had no pistol grips, no threaded barrel, no folding stock, etc. Anyway, it's all academic now but if it had not been an AK action I think it would have been legal as long as no mags over 10 rounds were included.

Based on your description just now. If it does not have an AK action, then it is legal.

For it to be an AK action, the only test with any case law behind it is if the bolt will interchange with an AK.

If its a traditional stock, with no threaded bbl, flash hider, bayonet lug, or pistol grip and parts don't directly interchange with an AK then its legal.

Think of a ruger mini 14 with a wood stock. Thats still legal, despite the fact that its identical to the banned mini 14 with a pistol grip stock and takes the same mags.

Back
Top Bottom