Nordic NC22 .22lr AR Review

nordic%2022.jpg

A couple of months ago i picked up a Nordic Components NC22 18" upper. Since then I have put about 4k+ rounds through it. So here is a review of the upper

Nordic Comp NC22 website

The Nordic is a complete upper with a free float hand guard and a stainless steel barrel in 16", 18" or 20". The 20" barrel are either .750 or .920 the rest are .750. It uses Blackdog mags, which I have found to be extremely reliable. I have heard that Blackdog has changed the design slightly which may require a minor mod to work ( only read this on the internet and can not confirm either way)

The bolt is similar to a 10/22 design and the extractor is the same. The bolt runs on rails in the upper, so you can not use a upper insert vice block when working on the upper, you need to use a clamshell design

nordic%20bolt.jpg

The barrel comes with a flash hider that is easily removed. I pinned a JP Cooley comp on in its place, but quickly realized that even the copper washed bullets were leading up the comp pretty bad. So off came the comp and on went a YHM thread protector.

I have run Federal Bulk pack 550 and 525 (which are different) American Eagle and CCI AR Tactical through the upper with minimal problems. The biggest issue is that after 350 rounds the chamber will become dirty enough that it will stovepipe. A quick run of a bore snake once through the barrel and you a good for another 350 rounds. CCI AR is waxed covered and it will cause problems sooner. But once again a boresnake fixes it right up. I have had an occasional misfire. But these seem to be ammo related. If I rotate the round in the chamber, it will fire. This is using a Jard 3lbs trigger with lightened hammer springs. Now that I know it needs to be cleaned every 350 rounds, I run a boresnake before I hit the range. The last few times I have gone, I haven't had any problems

Accuracy with Federal Bulk pack is Ok, nothing great and I always seem to get a flyer that does its own thing, not sure why. CCI AR is much better. Both of these groups are at 25 yards off a bipod no rear rest using a Trijicon 3.5x

group.jpg

The rifle handles just like my .223 AR and I transfer the glass from one to the other to keep everything as similar as possible. The range I go to limits me to 25 yards, so I spend most of my time shooting 2" spinner from different positions and shooting USPSA paper or steel on the move or while practicing transitions.

I figure that 4K+ rounds of cheap .223 Tula would cost about $760 and the .22 upper was $425 plus ammo at an average of 500 for $20 is about $585, so I have saved $175 in 2 months.

If you are looking to practice your rifle skills for cheap, I highly recommend the Nordic

Last edited:
Nice review. I've been considering the NC-22 myself and still not sure which direction to go. I've been using a Spike's conversion on a backup 16" with mixed results. When it runs, it runs great. As it gets dirtier, I've have stove's and even cases getting stuck up into the upper between the bolt and the adapter. Those are a major PIA to get out at the range. Do you run the Nordics wet or does it prefer to run dry?

It was $450.00. That was with the Brain Enos 10% discount and free shipping. Swapped the flash suppressor out for a Nordic Corvette compensator. Still low round count but has run great with the Black Dog mags and Federal Bulk packs. Snow to deep for much range time.

does this unit, extract and eject a unfired round?
My only peev about the TacticalSolutions upper I purchased....

nordic%2022.jpg

A couple of months ago i picked up a Nordic Components NC22 18" upper. Since then I have put about 4k+ rounds through it. So here is a review of the upper

Nordic Comp NC22 website

The Nordic is a complete upper with a free float hand guard and a stainless steel barrel in 16", 18" or 20". The 20" barrel are either .750 or .920 the rest are .750. It uses Blackdog mags, which I have found to be extremely reliable. I have heard that Blackdog has changed the design slightly which may require a minor mod to work ( only read this on the internet and can not confirm either way)

The bolt is similar to a 10/22 design and the extractor is the same. The bolt runs on rails in the upper, so you can not use a upper insert vice block when working on the upper, you need to use a clamshell design

nordic%20bolt.jpg

The barrel comes with a flash hider that is easily removed. I pinned a JP Cooley comp on in its place, but quickly realized that even the copper washed bullets were leading up the comp pretty bad. So off came the comp and on went a YHM thread protector.

I have run Federal Bulk pack 550 and 525 (which are different) American Eagle and CCI AR Tactical through the upper with minimal problems. The biggest issue is that after 350 rounds the chamber will become dirty enough that it will stovepipe. A quick run of a bore snake once through the barrel and you a good for another 350 rounds. CCI AR is waxed covered and it will cause problems sooner. But once again a boresnake fixes it right up. I have had an occasional misfire. But these seem to be ammo related. If I rotate the round in the chamber, it will fire. This is using a Jard 3lbs trigger with lightened hammer springs. Now that I know it needs to be cleaned every 350 rounds, I run a boresnake before I hit the range. The last few times I have gone, I haven't had any problems

Accuracy with Federal Bulk pack is Ok, nothing great and I always seem to get a flyer that does its own thing, not sure why. CCI AR is much better. Both of these groups are at 25 yards off a bipod no rear rest using a Trijicon 3.5x

group.jpg

The rifle handles just like my .223 AR and I transfer the glass from one to the other to keep everything as similar as possible. The range I go to limits me to 25 yards, so I spend most of my time shooting 2" spinner from different positions and shooting USPSA paper or steel on the move or while practicing transitions.

I figure that 4K+ rounds of cheap .223 Tula would cost about $760 and the .22 upper was $425 plus ammo at an average of 500 for $20 is about $585, so I have saved $175 in 2 months.

If you are looking to practice your rifle skills for cheap, I highly recommend the Nordic

You forgot to mention the barrel in you quote on savings. An AR barrel probably won't last much more than 15,000 rounds. This upper should last should last a very long time so you can add the cost of a couple of barrels to your savings.

I tried a Jard trigger in a couple of 22 LR uppers and had a few light hits. The light hammer spring was the problem. A trigger from Accuracy Speaks cured the problem. This trigger uses a full power hammer spring and gives you a crisp 4lb pull.

I am currently using a Model 1 Sales upper with a 20 inch fluted SS barrel. Pretty, but a little heavy. This unit uses a Ciener style conversion with Black Dog mags. It is pretty much 100% reliable until it gets dirty, about 200 rounds. I have heard that opening the chamber up a little will improve reliability at the expense of some accuracy.

What is the difference between Federal 550 and 525? I am currently using 550 with good results. The best 22 LR ammo I could find for my upper was CCI Blazers; this stuff worked great until I recently bough some. This "new" Blazer 22 LR used bullets so heavily waxed that they wouldn't chamber; it was virtually useless, jamming ever second or third round.

I have had good luck with the aquilla manufactured stuff CMP has been selling... It is lead round nose and lubed but I go about 300 rounds before cleaning...only a few more rounds with the plated round nose fodder in the tacsol unit......and when I mean clean, bore snake and a quick wipe of the mags and bolt.

Same here. I’d guess I have 1500ish rounds through it and holy crap was it fouled up. I’ve got it soaking in Kroil at the moment.
But I’m going to order a thread protector now.
DDE0B4AD-79D5-4EED-8C77-5A160B151CD6.jpeg38163FC6-7B83-4FB1-B54D-21963D28C72C.jpegBB1E2BE1-0DC2-4C9A-9DE1-C58AA44C05AA.jpeg

The threads are 1/2x28 but the length of the threads is 0.400"
How do I know which thread protector to get that will be the correct length? The length of of the barrel before it widens to the larger OD, is roughly 0.48" long. The YHM thread protector is 0.625" long. So that means it will extended beyond the muzzle? @Supermoto any chance you still have this 9 years later? [laugh]
014392EC-0304-4583-81E6-F7B95F36C96C.jpeg

Last edited:
When the difference between 1st and 2nd place is 0.01 seconds, then yeah it is amazing.
no way thats the ammo , the winner used high velocity so the bullets hit the target faster! [rockon]
Maybe for those steel challenge shooters running those ultra light pistols it might help shave some time.

The threads are 1/2x28 but the length of the threads is 0.400"
How do I know which thread protector to get that will be the correct length? The length of of the barrel before it widens to the larger OD, is roughly 0.48" long. The YHM thread protector is 0.625" long. So that means it will extended beyond the muzzle? @Supermoto any chance you still have this 9 years later? [laugh]

I don't have the muzzle protector. The one I have now is thread with a can on it

If the cover extends past the barrel a bit, it will be fine. Just keep an eye on fouling when you do your maintainence.
Ordered the KIDD stainless 10/22 thread protector and it’s a little short.
4C85CD0F-C143-4E83-AB9A-69B113E241EF.jpeg
Wiith the washer that came with the Nordic FH, it extends beyond the muzzle a bit
B5B98294-D203-45D4-B19C-0B585EFF890A.jpeg
So I had some rubber grommets kicking around and installed that and got it snug and aligned fairly well with the muzzle. Yeah I know, somewhat ghetto/cheap. But this isn’t a long term fix as I’ll want to get a metal washer to ensure it lasts due to the heat etc. Then again it’s only 22lr...
49C3DD1F-D87F-4980-9280-1504279D29B6.jpeg
79056E5D-0ED5-46EB-8E31-DD98248B4098.jpeg

Ordered the KIDD stainless 10/22 thread protector and it’s a little short.
View attachment 400696
Wiith the washer that came with the Nordic FH, it extends beyond the muzzle a bit
View attachment 400695
So I had some rubber grommets kicking around and installed that and got it snug and aligned fairly well with the muzzle. Yeah I know, somewhat ghetto/cheap. But this isn’t a long term fix as I’ll want to get a metal washer to ensure it lasts due to the heat etc. Then again it’s only 22lr...
View attachment 400698
View attachment 400697
What size is the barrel? i figured it had a bull barrel ? Almost looks as if a regular "ar" thread protector might fit.
Looks like a mini barrel tuner.

Back
Top Bottom