Noob question about semi-auto rifles

Hi All,

I've gotten into firearms via skeet shooting. I bought an under and over and had no interest in handguns or rifles. Then I spent a bunch of time on this board and I bought a few handguns which are a lot of fun to shoot! So now I'm thinking about a semi-auto rifle and have done a little research on the internet.

I don't like the look of the AKs and similar rifles. I do like the look of the M1A and M14 and have been trying to figure out what to buy. Apart from knowing what I like the look of I don't know where to go with the decision making process. I'm looking for something that would be fun to target shoot, hunt (in a pinch), and use for home defense if a hoard of Mongols attacked my home or the SHTF.

I've read a few threads comparing the Fulton M14 to the Springfield M1A but don't have a good basis for making a decision. How plentiful and expensive is .30 vs .308 vs NATO 7.62×51 ammo? etc.

Any thoughts or guidance would be appreciated.

You'll get a lot of opinions here

Most people recommend whatever is their personal favorite. The M1A is a great gun and a lot of fun to shoot. But given the parameters of your search it might be a little too much for home defense. An AR-15 carbine is a lot of fun to shoot and would be a little more practical for home defense as it is shorter and lighter.
My all round favorite is the M-1 carbine. It's a hoot although gets an undeserved bad rap for being an underpowered round. All I can say is that I wouldn't want to be its recipient. I haven't kept up with the cost of ammo lately except that it is all getting really expensive

It's fun isn't it? Get them all!

I've gotten into firearms via skeet shooting. I bought an under and over and had no interest in handguns or rifles. Then I spent a bunch of time on this board and I bought a few handguns which are a lot of fun to shoot! So now I'm thinking about a semi-auto rifle and have done a little research on the internet.

[devil2]

I've got bunches of rifles and although I like most of them, my favorite, without a doubt, is my M1 carbine. Small, light, very accurate and powerful enough to have killed thousands of Germans, Japs, Koreans and VietCong in defense of our country.

No ammo is cheap today, perhaps the 7.62x54r is the cheapest right now...but if you have a Mosin for it, you'll know that it's not a rifle you'll want to shoot all day long.

Get what feels good to you, everyone is different in how a certain gun feels and shoots to them.

I don't like the look of the AKs and similar rifles.
Any thoughts or guidance would be appreciated.

What?[sad2] BLASPHEMY! You must be looking at the wrong AK's.. who could possibly not love the look?

Pictures1269.jpg

Pictures1270.jpg

Here's a good source of info on the "which one to buy" topic:

http://www.amazon.com/Bostons-Gun-Bible-Boston-Party/dp/1888766069

A must-read if you are interested in the comparisons of various "battle rifles" out there. The author's other books are great, too - I have most of them.

Best bet is to get to a range with someone who has what you're interested in and try it out. You don't want to dump a bunch of cash into something you just can't get used to or can't shoot well.

And, unfortunately, it's hard to pick out "one gun for all situations." That's why we tend to accumulate many different types.

Good Luck!

Having owned many semi-auto rifles over the years, I can say without hesitation that my Springfield Armory M1A SOCOM is my all-time favorite. My only regret is that I spent so much time ignoring, rather than buying these rifles - I want more of them.

As to which rifle to buy, I think it boils down to budget and patience. Fulton Armory makes a fine rifle to be sure and the example I fired, (18" Super Scout) was indeed a sweet, sweet rifle. Is it however worth $2500.00? In my opinion - not really. Springfield Armory makes a fine rifle which is by no means cheap, but commands a better price. With the funds you'd have left over buying a Springfield over a Fulton you could buy a lot of mags, ammo, accessories and tools. Springfield Armory tends to get a bit "over-bashed" on the Internet - where one tends to be easily led into hype over facts. SA has had some issues, but also produces more rifles in a month than most smaller builders do in a year, so obviously a bad rifle will get through QC. However, Springfield Armory has a lifetime warranty and superb customer service - the same claim cannot be made by Fulton or any other builder. As of the NES Members Shoot, I have 7,000 rounds through my SOCOM in a year and a half. The gun has been absolutely flawless - with 4 noted failures due to a bad magazine. The gun just runs and runs.

If I had to choose the M1A to buy, (if I could only have one), it would be the Scout. It offers all the accuracy out to 500-yards as a standard length and is only 2" longer than the SOCOM so it's still handy for close quarters. It also has the ability to be retrofitted with a variety of muzzle devices, (ie: Vortex or Standard NM flash suppressors) - although SEI is working out a Vortex for the SOCOM as I type this. I would be remiss if I didn't throw my 2-cents in about the SOCOM-16. To many M1A/M14 purists, it's the bastard-child of the rifle, but I love my SOCOM. It's designed for CQB, so working with the iron sights on small targets out past 200-yards may be a chore. However, hitting larger targets at extended ranges is not. Add optics, (either on the forward rail or side mount) and the SOCOM is a compact and deadly package at realistic ranges, (it's not a sniper or target rifle). The SAI comp is a thing of beauty at reducing recoil and bringing the rilfe back to point. I find follow-up shots are faster and easier and felt recoil is less than with a Standard or Scout. Much of the mythology behind the SOCOM-16 is generated by purists or platform haters. You'll read things like: "too loud" "too inaccurate" or "giant flame balls out of the comp". Yes it is loud as guns can be sometimes, but it's also accurate for the role it was designed and I have yet to see this mysterious "giant flame ball". I didn't hear any reports of them at the NES Shoot... [grin]

As for ammo, there's an absolute slump of cheap military surplus and though there are rumors of another influx, I don't see any in the foreseeable future. Still, military grade ammo is available and companies like Privi Partisan and S&B are making dents into feeding the need. I test drove 200 rounds of Privi at the NES Shoot and it ran well and was reasonably priced. There's plenty of commercial .308 out there, but be certain that you don't shoot exotic hot ammo out of this gun. There are differences between commercial .308 and 7.62x51 NATO - much having to do with pressure curves and headspacing. Staying within the 147 - 168 grain fodder will generally leave you GTG - especially in Springfield Armory rifles, though I have fired some 110gr TAP with zero issues.

Along with your rifle buy Scott Duff's and Walt Kuleck's books, the proper tools , set up, maintain and feed your rifle properly - you will be amazed at what a wise choice you have made. Good luck!

HPIM0879.jpg

There are alot of options out there that would fit what you are looking for.
Take a look at a PTR91, a FAL, M1a. The best bet is to try an shoot them to see what fits you the best.

Check out the Kel-Tec SU16, either the B or C model. They can be a bit hard to find. I got mine from Eric Manna.
su16b-right.jpg

su16b-folded.jpg

su16b-bipod.jpg

It's a fun carbine in 5.56. Takes AR mags. Gas piston operated instead of direct gas. I'd use it for home defense inside 200yds, not sure about hunting. If you want a little more oomph a Mosin-Nagant M38 or M44 would be a lot of bang for the buck.

With all these thoughtful responses, I'm surprised that nobody has suggested the venerable M1 Garand. I've had the opportunity to try many, many rifles. And I put more rounds downrange out of an AR than anything else I own (way too many). But the Garand has a feel that goes beyond simple powder, primer, and bang. You don't even need to shoot it to enjoy the shape, the heft, the warmth, the legend, the history. When you pick it up, it just feels right in your hands and against your cheek. It doesn't feel like just a firearm, or just a rifle; it feels like an honest to gosh GUN. (I better stop now before I start crying and sully my questionable reputation even further.)

And to get back to the original thread, many deer have been taken with Garands, and they are pretty much the original "homeland security" trademark. If you don't buy one first, you'll certainly buy one later.

Last edited:
Although not perticularly good for home defense, I think everyone should own at least 1 Ruger 10/22. If nothing else, it makes a great plinker. If you want more of it, try RimFireCentral.com

No ammo is cheap today, perhaps the 7.62x54r is the cheapest right now...but if you have a Mosin for it, you'll know that it's not a rifle you'll want to shoot all day long.

I really can't understand why people keep insisting that shooting Mosins, M44s and the like hurts. They really don't. The only danger is burning your hand once you put 60 or so rounds through one.

Don't forget the Ruger carbines such as the Ranch rifle, mini 14, mini 30, PC9.

Here is the PC9 from their site:
167L.jpg

[banana][banana][banana][banana]

Congrats!

Come to an Appleseed shoot an we can turn you into an expert Rifleman with it. They're right up the road from you at Harvard Sportsman's Club.

Next one is July 23rd at 6pm and after that I think the next one will be August 4th. [smile]

I also suggest a Ruger semi auto. Proven designs, light, fairly inexpensive price tag and can be sold easily if you get tired of it. The Mini 14 isn't the most accurate semi auto out there, but its fun to shoot.

Mini.jpg

Gentlemen, he already bought his rifle. Please lay off on selling him the next one until he has already put a few bullets down range with this one. [smile]

I picked up the SAI National Match and just bought some pre-ban 20 round mags for it. I bought Fred's rifleman guide and plan to make it to an appleseed shoot at Harvard if I can ever get out of work on time !!!!

As it is I'm having a lot of fun and going through a ton of ammo!!!

The current goal is to keep all shots inside a 4" square at 100 yards from a bench rest. I'm having a hard time (this is my first rifle) but am making some progress.

It's hard to resist setting up full size targets at 25 yards and just running around and unloading mag after mag into them :)

David

Ruger Mini 14 MSRP $995

Or, a National Match RRA AR15/A2 for a grand that will shoot 1/2 - 3/4 MOA out of the box.

You forgot to mention the cost on your alternative suggestion. If you are a serious competitor, it might be worth any extra cost. For someone who just likes to target shoot, it probably isn't.

It's hard to resist setting up full size targets at 25 yards and just running around and unloading mag after mag into them :) ...

That said, it sounds like Boltonguy is happy with his purchase, and enjoying it, and that's what counts. Congratulations, and good luck!

You forgot to mention the cost on your alternative suggestion. If you are a serious competitor, it might be worth any extra cost. For someone who just likes to target shoot, it probably isn't.

Or, a National Match RRA AR15/A2 for a grand that will shoot 1/2 - 3/4 MOA out of the box.

I thought the - "for a grand" covered the cost of my alternate suggestion. Maybe you just missed that.

Back
Top Bottom