Noob NFA Question - 3 round burst kit for an AR

I am toying with the idea of getting a 3 round burst kit for my AR. I have done a little research on NFA stuff. Here is my question - assuming that I have the proper MA MG license and I have the appropriate tax stamp, can I lawfully install a 3 round burst trigger group on my AR? I was under the impression that the NFA prevented the manufacture of new machine guns. Is dropping in a 3 round burst trigger group into an AR considered manufacturing an new machine gun? I assume that this should be an easy question to answer. I have seen several companies selling 3 round burst trigger groups so I assume that this has come up before.

I would appreciate anyone's 2 cents and/or a point in the right direction of where to look.

Thanks.

Is dropping in a 3 round burst trigger group into an AR considered manufacturing an new machine gun?

Yes.

The 3 round burst kits need to be installed in an NFA registered lower.

The only MGs you can have are pre GCA-68. Meaning you need to buy a registered lower, or a DIAS.

... I have done a little research on NFA stuff. Here is my question - assuming that I have the proper MA MG license and I have the appropriate tax stamp, can I lawfully install a 3 round burst trigger group on my AR? ...

The way you pose your question is confusing me, because of your mention of MG's, a tax stamp and "AR" (as opposed to M16). If you have registered MG "AR" (like say an old SP1 conversion) then yes you can put in burst internals, though you will soon grow tired of them and just go back to safe-semi-auto. BUT if you mean you have a regular semi AR 15 can you put in a burst kit just because you got a green card, then no you can't do that until you invent your time machine and go back to some time before may of 1986.

Last edited:
Yes.

The 3 round burst kits need to be installed in an NFA registered lower.

The only MGs you can have are pre GCA-68. Meaning you need to buy a registered lower, or a DIAS.

What he meant to say was that the only MG's you can have had to have been registered by May 19th, 1986....when FOPA (firearm owners protection act) took effect.

Sorry I was not terribly clear, but you have all answered my question. I had come to the same conclusion but I wanted to make sure. Like I said, it was more of a curiousity than anything else.

Thanks

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think full auto parts will fit in an unmodified AR 15 lower.

Obviously with the exception of the sear (which would require a new hole and ussually the shelf milled out a little) the parts will fit in a lot of AR lowers, some companies like Colt (and others) have done things to prevent this in recent years, but that is hardly universal and over the years many factory AR's (even colts) have gone out with an M16 part here and there...

The older colts also have a different FCG pin dia. preventing the use of some parts. IMOP, the 3 round burst is a pain in the ass...try using a heavier buffer to lower ROF, you will more than likely be able to get 3 round burst with some decent trigger control.

Back
Top Bottom