Noob CMP questions

About to place my first CMP order for a Garand and have some questions (noob with Garands as well, so pardon if questions are dumb)

1) I'm in MA, so once I receive the firearm, I need to file a FA-10/e-FA-10, correct?
2) Just received my C&R license, once I receive the firearm, must note it in bound book, correct?
3) Are Enbloc clips reusable? Or once you run it through the gun once that is it?
4) do Enbloc clips fit both .30-06 and .308?
5) do you need to order a cleaning rod? I have other rifles so have many cleaning rods, don't know if there is something special with the ones they sell as far as a Garand goes
6) I could have sworn when I looked at the CMP website a while ago it said each rifle comes with a CMP hard case. Just looked yesterday and it didn't seem to say that anymore?
7)do Garands come covered in Cosmoline like Mosin's do?

thanks!

1. Don't know
2. Don't know
3. yes, reusable
4. yes
5. nothing special
6. yes, they used to. thought they still did
7. no

2) Just received my C&R license, once I receive the firearm, must note it in bound book, correct?

1 yes
2 yes

I'm not so sure about that... if the gun wasn't purchased under a C&R (in other words, an FFL03 license wasn't offered during the transaction), I don't think that it does have to be entered in his bound book. <edit: as has been pointed out by LenS further down this thread, it DOES need to be entered in the bound book.>

I've got a C&R license, but haven't yet acquired anything with it (I know, shameful), so would appreciate some solid guidance on this particular point.

Thanks.

Last edited:
It will have cosmoline on it, not as bad as the mosins but there will definitely be some particularly on the stock and stock parts. And you do have to do an eFA-10 for them.

As far as recording it in your bound book, I too got a C&R recently and I don't think you need to record it if you didn't use your C&R to order it. They didn't transfer it to you as an FFL holder, they sold it to a private individual unless you provided them with your C&R (I didn't), so I don't see why it would need to be recorded.

I'm not so sure about that... if the gun wasn't purchased under a C&R (in other words, an FFL03 license wasn't offered during the transaction), I don't think that it does have to be entered in his bound book.

I've got a C&R license, but haven't yet acquired anything with it (I know, shameful), so would appreciate some solid guidance on this particular point.

Thanks.

if purchased through the CMP for example, or an out of state dealer with your C&R yes. If purchased in mass, probably no.

It will have cosmoline on it, not as bad as the mosins but there will definitely be some particularly on the stock and stock parts. And you do have to do an eFA-10 for them.

As far as recording it in your bound book, I too got a C&R recently and I don't think you need to record it if you didn't use your C&R to order it. They didn't transfer it to you as an FFL holder, they sold it to a private individual unless you provided them with your C&R (I didn't), so I don't see why it would need to be recorded.

BEFORE you guys order anything or buy anything you ought to actually read the rules and regs that you AGREED TO when you applied for your C&R FFL. If that doesn't do it for you there are C&R eLists and forums that answer all these questions.

You do not "buy with a C&R FFL"!!

If you read the rules you will learn that YOU are a "Licensee" when you get your C&R FFL. Therefore NO MATTER HOW you obtain any C&R-eligible gun, you MUST log it in your Bound Book.

If you get audited by BATFE (it has happened before, ask C-pher), you guys will have your ass in a sling when they get thru with you.

Seriously read and understand the rules before you set yourself up for trouble.

Last edited:
I dug around the google machine a little more and found the answer right here on NES from about 5 years ago!

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...ed-in-C-R-book?p=567872&viewfull=1#post567872

Answer from the ATF themselves:
Originally Posted by ATF
This is in regards to your letter to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) received on August 19, 2008.
In your letter, you presented two scenarios pertaining to the acquisition of curio and relic (C&R) firearms and the
recordkeeping requirements for such acquisitions. You asked whether or not a C&R license holder was required to enter
in their acquisition and disposition (A&D) records C&R firearms that were acquired without benefit of
use of their license in both scenarios.

To sum up your two questions, every licensed collector must enter all acquisition of C&R firearms into
their A&D records because the firearm is a curio or relic and will be part of their collection or
possession. This is required even if their Federal fierarms license was not used to acquire the
firearm (see 27 CFR 478.125(f) and 18 U.S.C 923(g)(2)). The regulations also require that the
licensee enter all the appropriate information whenever a C&R firearm is disposed.

Additional information regarding the acquisition and disposition of C&R firearms and your
responsibilities as a C&R firearms collector can be obtained in ATF Publication 5300.11 - Firearms Curios or Relics
List or on the Internet at: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/curios/intro.htm.

6) I could have sworn when I looked at the CMP website a while ago it said each rifle comes with a CMP hard case. Just looked yesterday and it didn't seem to say that anymore?

http://www.thecmp.org/Sales/m1garand.htm

Scroll all the way to the bottom, the part that says: ALL GARANDS OTHER THAN PLUGGED DRILL RIFLES ARE SHIPPED IN A CMP HARD CASE :)

Back
Top Bottom