• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Non Traditional Easter Dinner

wilkoi

NES Member
It seems that many people have a ham dinner (evening or mid day) as a traditional Easter meal. And I say eat what pleases you.

Just finished a New England boiled dinner with corned beef brisket, potatoes, carrot's, turnip, and cabbage. And to make the veggies even more flavorful threw in a smoked shoulder. Followed by cheese cake with strawberries and whipped cream.

What was on your plate? Swedish meatballs, steam ship rib of roast, pork loin??

It seems that many people have a ham dinner (evening or mid day) as a traditional Easter meal. And I say eat what pleases you.

I never understood this myself.
Easter is supposed to celebrate the resurrection of Christ, but Jesus was Jewish, so he himself would never eat pork.

I never understood this myself.
Easter is supposed to celebrate the resurrection of Christ, but Jesus was Jewish, so he himself would never eat pork.

Jesus was alive during a time when cooking was a dicey proposition and sanitation was iffy at best. Pork was banned, along with many of the strictures from Leviticus, because they were unsafe more than taboo.

Now that cooking is well understood, and smoking in particular has been vetted as an appropriate, even preferred method of preparing pork, I think that Jesus would encourage us to enjoy pork in all its many delicious forms.

Hallelujah.

I had ham and bacon for brunch, and I am having grilled boneless pork ribs for dinner. I am a card-carrying member of the Swine is Fine Association.

I made "Zsa Zsa Gabor's Hungarian Goulash" from Robin Leach's Cookbook of the Rich and Famous.

My dad grew up in Vienna and had his own recipe for that, my siblings and I used to refer to it as "gruel". [laugh]
It was actually pretty good, he started with a base stock of a few cans of Campbells Beef Consomme.
Then he added big chunks of beef, potatoes and carrots, with smaller pieces of tomatoes, celery and onion.
It took him two days to make a big pot of it because he'd let it simmer on low heat for over a day before serving it.
Then it would take us a week to finish it all.
He was a complete kitchen disaster, the place looked like hell when he was done, thankfully he didn't do much of the cooking.

Got a nice roast beast in the oven--some taters and green beans; Jeebus would be proud

I tossed some chili I made last weekend in a tortilla with cheese, scrambled eggs, & salsa..... yummm !!!

We did a brunch , including (but not limited to) ham, scrambled eggs, kielbasa, baked French toast, bacon, many desserts ...

Back
Top Bottom