• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

non-steel core 7.62X54R

So I just won $100 on a scratch ticket and was going to use that money to buy a Mossin Nagant. I'm a member at Hopkinton Sportsman Association and they do not allow steel core ammo. How hard is it to find ammo that is not steel core? It would be a new caliber to me. I currently only use .22lr and .38 special. Also, any idea on price for the ammo? If i'm going to be spending more then 50 cents a round i'll just find a slightly more expensive gun thats cheaper to shoot.

Also, what about non-corrosive ammo, price? Availability? I hate cleaning my guns...

Thanks for any feedback.

Last edited:
You should be able to get ammo for .18 to .20 per round for surplus and it is all corrosive. There are a few companies making new but it is expensive.
I believe most is steel core on the surplus.

the mosin is in 7.62x54mmR

try to find some like this:
ap76254sp150.jpg

abb76254sp.jpg

http://www.aimsurplus.com/catalog.aspx?groupid=186&name=7.62x54R

I would think $.50 is where you'd be hovering around if you can find it. AIM has cheap prices, so they are a good baseline to use for pricing.

find a better club that doesn't dictate what you allowed to shoot. and shoot steel surplus all you want.

cleaning corrosive salts from a bolt gun is easy, when you get into semi-autos that are not chromed then it gets bothersome.

i clean my mosin by just flushing the bore w/water and rinsing bolt head. than wipe/brush and oil. so far so good.

Last edited:
Tula and brown bear are gonna run you about 50 cents a round, Prvi Partizan about 1 dollar a round. Keep in mind the brown Bear and Tula are bi metal jackets and will attract a magnet.

find a better club that doesn't dictate what you allowed to shoot. and shoot steel surplus all you want.

cleaning corrosive salts from a bolt gun is easy, when you get into semi-autos that are not chromed then it gets bothersome.

i clean my mosin by just flushing the bore w/water and rinsing bolt head. than wipe/brush and oil. so far so good.

what he said, for the price difference in ammo, a membership in another club would pay for itself. ... or just find drinking buddies who belong to a cooler club so you can mooch off them via guest status.

Back
Top Bottom