Non-residents: Legal info on bringing guns into Mass. for competition or hunting

Looking for clarification on one point, based on DRGrant's post referring to this thread here:
He might be able to get in under the fudd/low cap rifle/shotgun exemption if his guns are boring enough. (eg, anything that can't be considered large capacity)
GSG has a good write up on nonresident exemptions here:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...ng-guns-into-Mass.-for-competition-or-hunting

-Mike

...And based on this:
[...]
For non-residents bringing in rifles and shotguns, the law is fairly simple regarding who is exempt from licensing. In short, if it's legal to possess them in your home state, you can possess them in Mass.
[...]
p) Carrying or possession by residents or nonresidents of so-called black powder rifles, shotguns, and ammunition therefor as described in such paragraphs (A) and (B) of the third paragraph of section 121, and the carrying or possession of conventional rifles, shotguns, and ammunition therefor by nonresidents who meet the requirements for such carrying or possession in the state in which they reside.
[...]
Basically, if you're bringing rifles or shotguns into Mass., they have to be unloaded and in a case when transporting them, and as long as you can legally possess them in your home state you don't need a non-resident License to Carry. However, they have to be what is known as "Non-large capacity rifles and shotguns."

So...

Hypothetical friend is coming to MA for range fun unrelated to any organized gathering. He's bringing bolt-action only and mass-defined "non-large capacity rifles and shotguns." They're cased, locked, separate from the cased, locked ammo, and both not in the passenger compartment.

Legal without non-res LTC?

Hypothetical friend is coming to MA for range fun unrelated to any organized gathering. He's bringing bolt-action only and mass-defined "non-large capacity rifles and shotguns." They're cased, locked, separate from the cased, locked ammo, and both not in the passenger compartment.

Legal without non-res LTC?

Yes.

They do issue non-resident but those are reserved for resident aliens (no, not those space creatures). My uncle does not have US Citizenship, and has one of these licenses.

True, the law says "alien", but it is the position of the director of the DCJIS that someone living outside the US is not an "alien", and that the term "alien" is restricted to persons with US residency.

I have been reading this thread and it is indeed full of great info. I have a hypothetical question if I may. Say a Ma resident with a LTC would like to have a new glock. He/she has a friend who's residency in in a state that allows them to own a new glock. This person also own property in ma and has a non resident Ma LTC. Can they bring the glock to Ma and then transfer it to the Ma resident that in heat for said pistol?

Thanks,

Tom

This person also own property in ma and has a non resident Ma LTC. Can they bring the glock to Ma and then transfer it to the Ma resident that in heat for said pistol?
While each step of the process might be legal if the person had a legal residency in both states, it is something I would suggest avoiding since things can get very expensive if the state or feds take offense at a subject attempting to walk on the edges of the law through such creative constructs.

What is less of a stretch, since it does not involved playing "fed games" is if a stripped lower is transferred via FFL to FFL transfer, and the recipient subsequently uses it to construct a complete firearms and then submits a properly filled out FA10.

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply. Not sure as a newbie here what is ment by the term " a stripped lower"

Tom

The lower is generally the frame of the gun (the "lower" part), though with handguns, the term "frame" or "receiver" may be more precisely descriptive. Stripped means that all the parts other than the actual receiver (Trigger, screws, springs, grips, trigger bar, safety lever, mag release and assorted doodads) have been removed so that all is left is the federally regulated part.

I am so confused.

I live in NH and work in MA.
I do not have any special permits in either state.

As I understand it, I can't bring my handgun into MA at all unless I have a permit.

However, am I allowed to have my S&W M&P15 Sport (AR-15) in my trunk, locked up, in a case in MA?
(and some 10 rounds-or-less magazines?)

If so, am I also allowed to bring my .223 or 5.56 ammunition with me, locked away in a separate container?
(Confused about this, as the first page mentions you can't bring ammo in, but others seem to say you can.)

Lastly, am I allowed to have those items locked up in my trunk while I am not physically in the car (because I am in the office)?

Thanks for any info.
(Asking because I am a member of a gun club in Southern NH that I essentially drive past on my way home, so it would be great to be able to shoot on my drive home instead of going all the way back after getting my rifle.)

Last edited:
I live in NH and work in MA. I do not have any special permits in either state...However, am I allowed to have my S&W M&P15 Sport (AR-15) in my trunk, locked up, in a case in MA?

No, as it is "large capacity".

Generally, without a NR LTC, you can only possess/transport "non-large capacity" long guns, "non-large capacity" magazines and ammunition therefor.

Generally, without a NR LTC, you can only possess/transport "non-large capacity" long guns, "non-large capacity" magazines and ammunition therefor.

The gun isn't "large capacity," as it doesn't have a magazine and can thus only hold a single round... I thought large capacity was a term only used when magazines are involved.

Therefor, the rifle alone, or with a small-capacity mag (<=10?) would be fine, right?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Hi all,
New here, and have a question. I am a NYS resident and hold a NYS pistol permit. I have an apt in MA also. If I purchased a MA small game license would this allow me to bring my Star model B (semi auto with mag capacity only ever manufactured t hold 9 rounds) To MA for the purposes of pursuing small game?

Just acquired a Mossberg 500 (standard 18.5", 5 round capacity, etc).

Without having any permit, am I able to have it (and ammo?) in my trunk in MA, so that I can stop by the range in NH on my way home from work?

Just acquired a Mossberg 500 (standard 18.5", 5 round capacity, etc).

Without having any permit, am I able to have it (and ammo?) in my trunk in MA, so that I can stop by the range in NH on my way home from work?

Yes, providing:

1. Possession is legal in your state or residence; and
2. It is unloaded; and
3. It is enclosed in a case

MGL 140-129C said:
No person, other than a licensed dealer or one who has been issued a license to carry a pistol or revolver or an exempt person as hereinafter described, shall own or possess any firearm, rifle, shotgun or ammunition unless he has been issued a firearm identification card by the licensing authority pursuant to the provisions of section one hundred and twenty-nine B.

>snip<

The provisions of this section shall not apply to the following exempted persons and uses:

>snip<

(g) Possession of rifles and shotguns and ammunition therefor by nonresidents while on a firing or shooting range;

(h) Possession of rifles and shotguns and ammunition therefor by nonresidents traveling in or through the commonwealth, providing that any rifles or shotguns are unloaded and enclosed in a case;

>snip<

(p) ... the carrying or possession of conventional rifles, shotguns, and ammunition therefor by nonresidents who meet the requirements for such carrying or possession in the state in which they reside.

http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section129C

Maybe I'm reading this incorrectly, but this would seem to state pretty clearly that a non-resident can carry or possess possession of conventional rifles, shotguns, and ammunition therefor by nonresidents who meet the requirements for such carrying or possession in the state in which they reside without having to meet the "for the purpose of" requirements of the prior exemptions.
OK, I did a little digging on this subject, and it looks like you are right, you are exempt under both MGL 140-129C and MGl 269-10(a).

Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 269 Section 10(a) says:
Section 10. (a) Whoever, except as provided or exempted by statute, knowingly has in his possession; or knowingly has under his control in a vehicle; a firearm, loaded or unloaded, as defined in section one hundred and twenty-one of chapter one hundred and forty without either:

(1) being present in or on his residence or place of business; or

(2) having in effect a license to carry firearms issued under section one hundred and thirty-one of chapter one hundred and forty; or

(3) having in effect a license to carry firearms issued under section one hundred and thirty-one F of chapter one hundred and forty; or

(4) having complied with the provisions of sections one hundred and twenty-nine C and one hundred and thirty-one G of chapter one hundred and forty; or

(5) having complied as to possession of an air rifle or BB gun with the requirements imposed by section twelve B; and whoever knowingly has in his possession; or knowingly has under control in a vehicle; a rifle or shotgun, loaded or unloaded, without either:

(1) being present in or on his residence or place of business; or

(2) having in effect a license to carry firearms issued under section one hundred and thirty-one of chapter one hundred and forty; or

(3) having in effect a license to carry firearms issued under section one hundred and thirty-one F of chapter one hundred and forty; or

(4) having in effect a firearms identification card issued under section one hundred and twenty-nine B of chapter one hundred and forty; or

(5) having complied with the requirements imposed by section one hundred and twenty-nine C of chapter one hundred and forty upon ownership or possession of rifles and shotguns; or

(6) having complied as to possession of an air rifle or BB gun with the requirements imposed by section twelve B; shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for not less than two and one-half years nor more than five years, or for not less than 18 months nor more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction. The sentence imposed on such person shall not be reduced to less than 18 months, nor suspended, nor shall any person convicted under this subsection be eligible for probation, parole, work release, or furlough or receive any deduction from his sentence for good conduct until he shall have served 18 months of such sentence; provided, however, that the commissioner of correction may on the recommendation of the warden, superintendent, or other person in charge of a correctional institution, grant to an offender committed under this subsection a temporary release in the custody of an officer of such institution for the following purposes only: to attend the funeral of a relative; to visit a critically ill relative; or to obtain emergency medical or psychiatric service unavailable at said institution. Prosecutions commenced under this subsection shall neither be continued without a finding nor placed on file.

No person having in effect a license to carry firearms for any purpose, issued under section one hundred and thirty-one or section one hundred and thirty-one F of chapter one hundred and forty shall be deemed to be in violation of this section.

The provisions of section eighty-seven of chapter two hundred and seventy-six shall not apply to any person seventeen years of age or older, charged with a violation of this subsection, or to any child between ages fourteen and seventeen so charged, if the court is of the opinion that the interests of the public require that he should be tried as an adult for such offense instead of being dealt with as a child.

The provisions of this subsection shall not affect the licensing requirements of section one hundred and twenty-nine C of chapter one hundred and forty which require every person not otherwise duly licensed or exempted to have been issued a firearms identification card in order to possess a firearm, rifle or shotgun in his residence or place of business.

Stupid question, is this information still accurate? if so then I am guessing I don't need to freak out if I buy Ammo on the way into work in MA. as I am legal in NH, Or am I wrong?

I read the first few pages and got a headache.
I'm gonna ask the "for dummies" version.
can I bring a post ban config ar15 to a mass shooting range ?
a stag a2 ?
Thanks.

I read the first few pages and got a headache.
I'm gonna ask the "for dummies" version.
can I bring a post ban config ar15 to a mass shooting range ?
a stag a2 ?
Thanks.

If it complies with the MA AWB, you can ONLY bring it in IFF you possess a MA NR LTC. Otherwise, the legal answer is NO!

The "exemption" in S. 131G is totally bogus as Jason Guida did the research and claims that NO other state FOREVER gives PP-status to folks convicted of minor possession of MJ and therefore NO other state's license/permit meets the requirements. Also it ONLY applies to shooting in a competition, not for any other reason.

If it complies with the MA AWB, you can ONLY bring it in IFF you possess a MA NR LTC. Otherwise, the legal answer is NO!

The "exemption" in S. 131G is totally bogus as Jason Guida did the research and claims that NO other state FOREVER gives PP-status to folks convicted of minor possession of MJ and therefore NO other state's license/permit meets the requirements. Also it ONLY applies to shooting in a competition, not for any other reason.
Sounds like I need to get my NR LTC. I understand they are trying to make that more difficult so maybe I better git er done.

Not quite:

....for the purpose of taking part in a pistol or revolver competition or attending any meeting or exhibition of any organized group of firearm collectors or for the purpose of hunting

Curiously, people calling the FRB and asking are reportedly being told "as long as your are going to a match and have a permit in your home state".

Like another previous poster I got a bit cross-eyed reading through this thread. Let me simplify my questions as much as possible:

I am coming to Massachusetts (Smith & Wesson, specifically) in November for a pistol competition.
I have a home-state (PA) License to Carry (along with Utah and Arizona).
I will be bringing a 3" 1911 and no mags over 8 rounds, so no large-cap, long gun or assault-weapon issues.
I am scheduled to shoot Saturday morning and the awards banquet is Saturday evening. I expect to drive up on Friday, stay Fri and Sat nights (though probably *not* at the banquet hotel), then drive home Sunday.
The event (no refunds) and my ammo are already paid for, but I am currently unemployed, so the prospect of applying for a Mass non-res just ain't gonna happen.

1) I don't want to leave the gun in the car while I'm not driving, so I want to bring it into my room. Is this ok?
2) The awards banquet is *not* at the shooting location, but *is* part of the event. Can/must I bring the gun to my room and leave it there during dinner? Can I leave it in another shooter's room at the banquet hotel? Can I wear it at dinner since I'm still at the event?
3) My wife expressed interest in spending a few days in Massachusetts, probably prior to the match. Does the match provide enough 'permission' for me to keep the gun in my room for a few extra days?

Any input welcome.

Thanks,
Sgt.K

Back
Top Bottom