Non resident with Hi-Cap mags

Sorry if this has been answered before but I didn't see an answer in searching this forum. I have a Ma non resident LTC A and I am RI resident. Am I in violation of any Ma laws if I am in Ma with Hi-cap mags? I ask this both from a CCW perspective and transport of empty mags going to a shoot. In RI I can legally own and carry Hi Cap but questioning where I stand in MA.

Thanks Dave

Sorry if this has been answered before but I didn't see an answer in searching this forum. I have a Ma non resident LTC A and I am RI resident. Am I in violation of any Ma laws if I am in Ma with Hi-cap mags? I ask this both from a CCW perspective and transport of empty mags going to a shoot. In RI I can legally own and carry Hi Cap but questioning where I stand in MA.
That depends. If the large capacity magazines are pre-ban (made prior to September 14, 1994), then you are fine. If the large capacity magazines are post-ban (made on or after September 14, 1994), that would be a felony.

That depends. If the large capacity magazines are pre-ban (made prior to September 14, 1994), then you are fine. If the large capacity magazines are post-ban (made on or after September 14, 1994), that would be a felony.

He's correct hun. [grin]

Gotta love Mass. They issue us "high capacity" licenses, but outlaw hicap mags. [rolleyes]
Nope, just post-ban ones. MA incorporated the 1994 federal assault weapons ban into state law. So when the federal ban sunseted, it lives on in MA.

Yes, it sucks, but let's not confuse the issue by saying large capacity magazines are outlawed in MA. That isn't an accurate statement.

Yes, I realize that pre-ban mags are legal, I was referring to purchasing new magazines. Finding pre-ban mags are not always easy, or when found can be expensive. Only a small part of what is wrong with our wonderful Commonwealth.[angry]

Yes, I realize that pre-ban mags are legal, I was referring to purchasing new magazines.
MA laws are terribly confusing, so it is best if we are careful about our statements, to avoid making things even more confusing.

Finding pre-ban mags are not always easy, or when found can be expensive.
And at times it is very hard to know whether a particular magazine is pre or post-ban.

My bad. I was just expressing my frustration on the difficulty of finding legal hi cap mags. Should have clarified myself.[grin]
I share your frustration. I just don't want some numb nuts to skim the thread and then tell his buddies: "hi-caps are illegal in MA. I read it on NES!"

We hear so much BS about MA laws. I don't want to add it. Sorry to beat this dead [horse]. I'll stop now.

Last edited:
Next question, Where do I stand if I convert a Hi cap mag to a 10 rd mag? Am I legal now or is the fact that it was originally a hi-cap still have me in trouble? No 10 rd mags for a XDm are made by anybody and Springfield has no plans at this time for 10 rd mags for this gun. My thought is shorten the spring and install a plug in the mag
Thanks

I would think as long that it is not dated after sept,14,1994 or says LE or military only.

If it only will hold 10rounds it only holds ten rounds.

I'm not sure what the baseplate is made of (I'm guessing plastic of some sort) but I think if you epoxied or welded (if it's metal) some sort of block to the floorplate or mag body, you'd be all set. That said, it's up to a judge.

All we really have to go on, I think, is the MA court opinions on a gun being a gun even if it doesn't fit the statutory criteria, if "a relatively slight repair, replacement, or adjustment will make it" fit the definition, because the intent of the law is to "protect the public from the potential danger incident to the unlawful possession". (Commonwealth vs. Bartholomew, 1950), (Commonwealth v. Prevost, 1998).

Given those decisions, a similar case could be made that a large capacity magazine does not lose it's character even if it doesn't fit the statutory definition, if it can be simply and easily converted back.

I'm not sure what the baseplate is made of (I'm guessing plastic of some sort) but I think if you epoxied or welded (if it's metal) some sort of block to the floorplate or mag body, you'd be all set. That said, it's up to a judge.

As I suspected there is no definite answer in the MGL's and as the quote says " It's up to a judge" Looks like time to have a new category in carry guns. Up until now I just had to decide on either small, large. or stainless depending on the place or season. Now I have to add in Mass compliant. Sounds like a Good reason to buy another gun I guess.

I guess if I'm going to drive up north, I'd better just carry a revolver to be safe. I can't bitch about RI anymore, your government is more conveluded then I thought.

Back
Top Bottom