Non-Resident RI permit.

If you have your permit to carry you do not need the blue card to buy ammo or a firearm.
It calls specifically for the blue card the way the law is written but this brings up a good point. Knowing RI, anything that makes it a bigger burden on gun owners then I could see them being prick's about it at least for the ammo part of it. I have my carry permit and have only been asked by one store for my blue card when making a pistol purchase.

It calls specifically for the blue card the way the law is written but this brings up a good point. Knowing RI, anything that makes it a bigger burden on gun owners then I could see them being prick's about it at least for the ammo part of it. I have my carry permit and have only been asked by one store for my blue card when making a pistol purchase.
No, it doesn’t call specifically for the blue card.

11-47-64 is very clear.

It’s amazing to see people mad about a 8 man police department in the middle of the woods taking a long time to issue pistol permits when a handful of other friendly places have been posted. Some of which have renewal applications that are less work than Foster since they require the same stuff on renewal that they do on initial issuance.

There should be a sticky in this Subforum with the list of RI towns, their stance/difficulty, cost, and a link to the town's applicable webpage. I can start it and maintain it if people want to PM me the info. Might be a good sticky like the MA one was.

Rhode Island Attorney General Concealed Weapons Permit
Barrington
Bristol
Burrillville
Central Falls
Charlestown
Coventry
Cranston
Cumberland
East Greenwich
Exeter
East Providence
Foster
Glocester
Hopkinton
Jamestown
Johnston
Lincoln
Little Compton
Middletown
Narragansett
New Shoreham
Newport
North Kingstown
North Providence
North Smithfield
Pawtucket
Portsmouth
Providence
Richmond
Scituate
Smithfield
South Kingstown
Tiverton
Warren
Warwick
West Greenwich
West Warwick
Westerly
Woonsocket

The process is straightforward, although they do seem to have a fondness for notarizing documents.

Two things to note. They do not notify you that the permit is about to expire and they DO require another qualification course at renewal. At least as of November. What will happen as Bruen ripples through the country I have no idea.

And BTW, Cranston was also where I got my permit as well, but that was a couple of years ago. They were great to deal with.

Frank

So can we set up a group ri qualification? I’ll pay to borrow a .50 + ammo for the test (just to say I can carry a .50).

But happy to bring my .45.

If someone sets up a group of 5+ I can do one at Hopkinton on a Saturday. It would show class to make a donation to the club or Comm2A, but I won't be charging. We keep ArmyL targets at the club for RI qualifications.

But, please, don't bring people who need coaching to get through the test. It's not a hard test for someone already at the basically competent level.

I will be doing a qualification at Hopkinton Sportsmens (weather permitting, any cancellation in this thread) at 1400 tomorrow 11/13/2022. This was set up to take care of a few close friends, however, as long as I am going to be there, I might as well open it up to NES members. Rightmost of two gates, follow past right range to far pistol pit. PM for cell #. No RSVP happening - I already have quorum.
I know I'm a little late but is there anything going on for RI Qualification anytime soon?

I could do one together in Hopkinton in the March timeframe - we would have to schedule a good day (no long term scheduling). Someone would need to put together the group.

$20 per head, $100 minimum, payable to Hopkinton Sportsmens Association. I don't get any of the $$, but I do want the club to get something. As a paid activity, I will also be able to reserve my choice of ranges on the calendar. The best way to make any activity welcome at a club is to turn in money from the event.

You could also try Mass Firearms in Holliston or American Firearms School in North Attleboro.

I could do one together in Hopkinton in the March timeframe - we would have to schedule a good day (no long term scheduling). Someone would need to put together the group.

$20 per head, $100 minimum, payable to Hopkinton Sportsmens Association. I don't get any of the $$, but I do want the club to get something. As a paid activity, I will also be able to reserve my choice of ranges on the calendar. The best way to make any activity welcome at a club is to turn in money from the event.

You could also try Mass Firearms in Holliston or American Firearms School in North Attleboro.
Anyone trying to do the RI Qualification in March in Hopkinton? Need 5 total and I am 1 so just need 4 other people. $20 per person for the Hopkinton Sportsmen Association club and tips (not necessary but appreciated) to Rob the instructor. Just quote this in the message and say IN and we'll get a group for March. I'll keep a list going if people are interested. Let me know peeps!!

So.. can anyone provide info on the blue card test? Any questions that a non-resident would not generally know the answer to?

I assume the test is the same for everyone.
So I needed Blue Card because I live on the border of RI and I have a few stores closer to me in RI for ammo then in MA.

I just took the Blue Card test today. Honestly everything is about safety and the answer is always whatever is the safety out of all of them. I did read the booklet (there's 33 pages total with the RI laws from where I got mine). There's chapter review questions the last few pages of the booklet that help, however I do feel like I could have passed it without reading. I do encourage people to read it though because it is a really short read and it is a great refresher on information you may have forgotten. It helps to brush up some things you might not do normally or forget to do as well.

There's only 7 points that is given for RI laws that will have one or two questions on the exam. I attached a picture below. Pretty simple stuff. If you read the booklet once and read these points below you should pass no problem.

Just remember safety things and that's almost all of the exam. Any questions send me a DM.

Took at Sakonnet River Outfitters in Tiverton, RI (wanted to shoot after taking exam and one of the only places open on Sunday) and worker checked my answers before sealing it to send in and assure I passed. (Most places want you to pass so they can have your business. Remember that if you have any questions on the exam.) Goodluck if anyone decides to take it!F3E39BC6-1202-4934-AD49-9466910D4BD4.png

Based on last time, I recommend you get the money up front.

And once again, thank you to you and the others for a very enjoyable day.

About charging - I really don't want to waste my time and have several booked and only 1 or 2 show up. Last time, I had a couple of friends but the "show up" rate from NES people who said
Anyone trying to do the RI Qualification in March in Hopkinton? Need 5 total and I am 1 so just need 4 other people. $20 per person for the Hopkinton Sportsmen Association club and tips (not necessary but appreciated) to Rob the instructor. Just quote this in the message and say IN and we'll get a group for March. I'll keep a list going if people are interested. Let me know peeps!!
Tips will not be accepted (except if you want to tell me how to shoot better), but additional donations to the club are welcome.

Based on last time, I recommend you get the money up front.

And once again, thank you to you and the others for a very enjoyable day.
Absol-f'in-lootley. Not counting the close personal friends (which is I why I was doing the qual), the NES show-up rate was 50%

About charging - I really don't want to waste my time and have several booked and only 1 or 2 show up. Last time, I had a couple of friends but the "show up" rate from NES people who said

Tips will not be accepted (except if you want to tell me how to shoot better), but additional donations to the club are welcome.
Ahh okay I was just trying help you out but noted!

Anyone interested??

Absol-f'in-lootley. Not counting the close personal friends (which is I why I was doing the qual), the NES show-up rate was 50%
Back when I taught NRA Basic Pistol classes, I learned quickly to get payment in advance, for the very same reason — people who paid in advance usually showed up.

Back
Top Bottom