• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Non-Resident RI permit.

Until you've been there and driven around the state it's hard to have an idea of how big it is.

On a "good day" it's a four hour drive on I-35 from Austin to Dallas. That's if there isn't a jam on I-35, which there usually is.

It's two hours from Austin to Houston.

"Houston" is.... i had a friend who lived there when they had a ton of flooding, i called to see if she was alright... that's when i learned that what they call Houston is bigger than RI

I had to look it up bc I'm a factoid nerd.. Houston (proper, I assume) is 665 sq miles. RI is 1545 sq miles.. so about 43 percent, which is pretty freaking big.. Now if you include Houston's suburbs, the metro area is 10000 sq miles. or about 7x the size of RI. :oops:

For scale, Boston proper is 89 sq miles. NYC is 302 and Chicago is 232. NYC Metro area is 13318 sq miles.

I could do one together in Hopkinton in the March timeframe - we would have to schedule a good day (no long term scheduling). Someone would need to put together the group.

$20 per head, $100 minimum, payable to Hopkinton Sportsmens Association. I don't get any of the $$, but I do want the club to get something. As a paid activity, I will also be able to reserve my choice of ranges on the calendar. The best way to make any activity welcome at a club is to turn in money from the event.

You could also try Mass Firearms in Holliston or American Firearms School in North Attleboro.

RI Qualification...

Residents of Rhode Island and out-of-state applicants are legally mandated to pass the shooting qualification set forth by the RI Attorney General, to obtain a RI License to Carry a Concealable Weapon (CCW). The shooting exam consists of firing a total of 30 consecutive rounds with a semi-automatic pistol or revolver, at 25 yards, at an Army ‘L’ Bullseye Target. Each round has the potential to score up to 10 points, which means the maximum score you can achieve is 300. You need a minimum score of 195 points to pass (65%). This shooting exam is limited to 30 minutes.

Shooters may use any handgun of their choice, of any action, non-magnifying sights, and caliber. However, whichever caliber the shooter qualifies with, that is the largest caliber they can carry with their license. So, if you qualify with a .22 pistol, you can only carry .22 caliber handguns. But if you qualify with a .45 pistol, you can carry that and everything below (.40, .357 magnum, .38spl, 9mm, .380, .22lr, etc.). RI CCW is good for 4 years.

Rob said he could do early afternoon at 1:30pm on Wednesday, August 9. The range closes at 2:45. If he reserves the range, he needs to make sure 5 of us show up. He is smart enough to have someone else organize it, so I am collecting the donations. $20.00 per person. I will write the $100.00 check to the Hopkinton Sportsmens Association. You can PM me and send the cash via Venmo. If we don't have 5 donations by the 1st, it will be cancelled. If it cancels, I will return the money. Let me know as soon as you can. Thanks.... I'll keep this list up to date..

1. MassPete
2. Toast
3. Rockrivr1
4. Hoagie1
5. Captainbly
6. Rat
7. Broc..

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
RI Qualification...

Rob said he could do early afternoon, (maybe 2pm) on Wednesday, August 9. If he reserves the range, he needs to make sure 5 of us show up. He is smart enough to have someone else organize it, so I am collecting the donations. $20.00 per person. I will write the $100.00 check to the Hopkinton Sportsmens Association. You can PM me for my address and send a check or send the cash via Venmo. If we don't have 5 donations by the 1st, it will be cancelled. If it cancels, I will return the money. Let me know as soon as you can. Thanks.... I'll keep this list up to date..

1. MassPete
Ah bummer, unfortunately I'd only be free after 5:00 PM.

I don't know where you got 89sq miles for Boston. I've always known it to be about 49 sq miles. I certainly drove in it long enough.

I had to look it up bc I'm a factoid nerd.. Houston (proper, I assume) is 665 sq miles. RI is 1545 sq miles.. so about 43 percent, which is pretty freaking big.. Now if you include Houston's suburbs, the metro area is 10000 sq miles. or about 7x the size of RI. :oops:

For scale, Boston proper is 89 sq miles. NYC is 302 and Chicago is 232. NYC Metro area is 13318 sq miles.

Until you've been there and driven around the state it's hard to have an idea of how big it is.

On a "good day" it's a four hour drive on I-35 from Austin to Dallas. That's if there isn't a jam on I-35, which there usually is.

It's two hours from Austin to Houston.
In the 80's my Brit friends loved to tease me (and Americans in general) because they thought they were much better traveled. It was not uncommon to travel Europe on "Holiday" and they lamented how many Americans never leave their own country.

They were here a few months and were shocked to find out they couldn't drive from Boston to LA over a long weekend. They thought was "Well maybe we'll add another day on there". I said "Driving Boston to LA is like starting in London and driving to New Delhi, India"...and when you get there they'll still speak the same language (mostly) and use the same money.

Then they set sights on some place closer...they wanted to drive to Dallas, TX (why they chose there I don't know). So I said "OK, instead, so it's like you're driving to Rome instead....now do you see why many Americans never leave the US?". Then they asked how big Texas is...could they see it in a day or two if they flew? I said you could start at one end of the state, drive all day and still be in Texas. You can be in swamps on one end and mountains the other. They were slack-jawed

A friend who grew up and has lived most of his life there said that in the horse drawn wagon days the sayin was that a baby born in Texarkana would be rolling his own cigarettes by the time they got to El Paso.

In the 80's my Brit friends loved to tease me (and Americans in general) because they thought they were much better traveled. It was not uncommon to travel Europe on "Holiday" and they lamented how many Americans never leave their own country.

They were here a few months and were shocked to find out they couldn't drive from Boston to LA over a long weekend. They thought was "Well maybe we'll add another day on there". I said "Driving Boston to LA is like starting in London and driving to New Delhi, India"...and when you get there they'll still speak the same language (mostly) and use the same money.

Then they set sights on some place closer...they wanted to drive to Dallas, TX (why they chose there I don't know). So I said "OK, instead, so it's like you're driving to Rome instead....now do you see why many Americans never leave the US?". Then they asked how big Texas is...could they see it in a day or two if they flew? I said you could start at one end of the state, drive all day and still be in Texas. You can be in swamps on one end and mountains the other. They were slack-jawed

Last edited:
RI Qualification...

Residents of Rhode Island and out-of-state applicants are legally mandated to pass the shooting qualification set forth by the RI Attorney General, to obtain a RI License to Carry a Concealable Weapon (CCW). The shooting exam consists of firing a total of 30 consecutive rounds with a semi-automatic pistol or revolver, at 25 yards, at an Army ‘L’ Bullseye Target. Each round has the potential to score up to 10 points, which means the maximum score you can achieve is 300. You need a minimum score of 195 points to pass (65%). This shooting exam is limited to 30 minutes.

Shooters may use any handgun of their choice, of any action, non-magnifying sights, and caliber. However, whichever caliber the shooter qualifies with, that is the largest caliber they can carry with their license. So, if you qualify with a .22 pistol, you can only carry .22 caliber handguns. But if you qualify with a .45 pistol, you can carry that and everything below (.40, .357 magnum, .38spl, 9mm, .380, .22lr, etc.). RI CCW is good for 4 years.

Rob said he could do early afternoon at 1:30pm on Wednesday, August 9. The range closes at 2:45. If he reserves the range, he needs to make sure 5 of us show up. He is smart enough to have someone else organize it, so I am collecting the donations. $20.00 per person. I will write the $100.00 check to the Hopkinton Sportsmens Association. You can PM me and send the cash via Venmo. If we don't have 5 donations by the 1st, it will be cancelled. If it cancels, I will return the money. Let me know as soon as you can. Thanks.... I'll keep this list up to date..

1. MassPete
2. Toast
3. Rockrivr1
4. Hoagie1
5. Captainbly
6. Rat
7. Broc..

Thanks guys.
“Non-magnifying sights” isn’t in the statute. The statute is silent on what optics you use or even if you shoot from a bench rest position.

If it’s not in the 1959 statute, then it’s not in RIGL 11-47-15. RI laws are bad enough, why add to it?

Same with a colleague from Holland. He had spent a week in our plant here, and I asked him on Friday what time he was flying back. He said his wife was arriving that night and they were planning a driving vacation, with the intent being to go from Boston to LA, then drive up to San Francisco, then back to Boston. When I asked him if he was taking a full month off, he laughed and said "No, only a week." When I told him that he wouldn't make it to LA in under 5 days and that it was like driving from Madrid to Moscow, he didn't believe me. I had to pull out a road atlas with a "Distance Between" chart.

He spent the rest of the afternoon on the phone (pre-Internet days) making plane and car reservations. At the end of the day, he informed me that they were flying to LA on Saturday morning and were going to drive to SF before flying home. Made a lot more sense.

Just realized my RI non-res expires in January so I called Johnston PD and spoke w/ the Chief's Assistant Lori, who as usual was extremely friendly & helpful and will be emailing me the renewal packet. This will be my third one through Johnston and every time I have called I have gotten through to Laurie right away and she's been great each and every time. I know they charge more than other towns, but for me it's well worth it.

Just realized my RI non-res expires in January so I called Johnston PD and spoke w/ the Chief's Assistant Lori, who as usual was extremely friendly & helpful and will be emailing me the renewal packet. This will be my third one through Johnston and every time I have called I have gotten through to Laurie right away and she's been great each and every time. I know they charge more than other towns, but for me it's well worth it.
Are they still extorting $300 for an “application fee” or have they decided to follow the law?

Back
Top Bottom