• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

non-resident resident

ok so i'm a MA resident and home-owner but am about to buy a vacation home in FL. Am I only eligible for a FL non-resident or can i apply for a resident LTC when i technically own a residence in FL and MA? can one posses two resident LTC's?

ok so i'm a MA resident and home-owner but am about to buy a vacation home in FL. Am I only eligible for a FL non-resident or can i apply for a resident LTC when i technically own a residence in FL and MA? can one posses two resident LTC's?

Florida doesn't distinguish between a resident LTC and a non-resident LTC. If you want to use your Florida address on your Florida LTC then you will need to get a Florida-only drivers license. This is a drivers license that is only valid when driving in Florida and doesn't require you to give up your Mass. drivers license. If you don't want to go this route you can just use your Mass. address on your LTC application.

In order to be considered a resident you have to reside in a state for "more" than 6 months. So it is impossible to reside in more than one place.

According to the ATF, if you own two residences in different states, then you are considered a resident of state X while in state X, and a resident of state Y while in state Y. I believe MA doesn't follow this rule. However.

Not correct, dhuze. Federal law requires simply that you reside in said state rather than just visit it, however. Vacation home doesn't really do it.

In order to be considered a resident you have to reside in a state for "more" than 6 months. So it is impossible to reside in more than one place.

Residency is a very complicated legal subject, and requirements for residency differ depending upon who is asking. ATF, IRS, USCIS, and various different states all seem to define residency differently.

Ask any of the lawyers here and you'll get huge rambling paragraphs about the subject.

But if we're assuming Hanson is interested for purposes of the GCA, bostonasphault2 is correct. While you are staying in FL you are a FL resident and while you are staying in MA you are a MA resident, according to ATF.

According to the ATF, if you own two residences in different states, then you are considered a resident of state X while in state X, and a resident of state Y while in state Y. I believe MA doesn't follow this rule. However.

dhuze, NOT true. He should ASK his local licensing authority in FL and he should get a FL-Only DL as well. It's cheaper and faster for residents to get a FL permit. [Since FL NR permits are taking many months, make a phone call down there to determine how best to proceed, unless you'll be down there shortly.]

MA is not so generous, but MA does NOT have to know any more than that you have a FL permit. They don't need to know if it is Resident or NR.

BA is correct here. MA does whatever the local MA chief wants to do. I've seen soldiers/airmen denied as "NR" while on active duty in MA (and living in-state) . . . told that they would have to change their DL, Reg, voting, and "state of record" with the US Military. I know of others in the same situation where the local chief issued them LTC-A Resident permit. Totally arbitrary.

The OP will qualify under Fed Law as Dual Resident . . . do a search in MA Gun Laws sub-forum for a LOT more info.

Back
Top Bottom