Non resident Open carry in Maine ?

roccoracer

NES Member
I am going Deer hunting in Maine next week and I would like to open carry a handgun while hunting. Is this legal? I think I have to keep the handgun unloaded and separate from the ammo in the trunk while driving, Is this true.
Thank you very much I dont want
To break any laws. I have my Mass LTC with no restrictions.
Scott

Thank you for looking
Scott

It is legal to conceal carry while in the act of hunting in the field with out a CCW. Just make sure that before you leave the field it is no longer concealed. Open carry is a good way to go as well. There are two basic laws you need to be aware of with guns in Maine. The first one is that with the exception listed above, and with out a CCW, you cannot conceal on or about your person's person a gun. The other law is that with out a CCW a gun cannot be loaded in your car, this would mean nothing in the chamber and no loaded mag in the gun. An unloaded gun sitting on the seat next you in plain view with a loaded mag right next to it is perfectly legal. The same with a jacket over it is not. The same in a unlocked gun case right next to you is not as well. In the back seat, in an unlocked case out of reach of any person is ok as well. There is no need to keep the ammo separate either and nothing needs to be in the trunk. Also, when the hunting rifle or shotgun is in the car or you are carrying it on a public way, the action needs to be open as well as unloaded.

There are plenty of posts on this board where this is discussed and the laws are cited. I would suggest finding them if you want read the laws themselves. You can go to the ME fish and wildife website to see the law about carrying concealed while hunting. It is best that you read the laws for yourself. There are almost no gun laws in Maine and almost no case law to follow, so what you find is what you get when it comes to law. Good luck hunting. Hit the oak stands. The deer are eating acorns heavy right now.

Last edited:
So if I read that correct I can open carry a handgun during rifle season. It looks as though I can conceal carry while actively hunting also. I wont risk that.
Can someone confirm this for me?

Thank you for looking
Scott

Anyone over 18 (or accompanied by someone over 18) with no prior felonies are legal to OPEN carry a handgun anytime. OC is legal in Maine. I wouldn't risk CCWing because there is really no benefit at all from doing it.

Anyone over 18 (or accompanied by someone over 18) with no prior felonies are legal to OPEN carry a handgun anytime. OC is legal in Maine. I wouldn't risk CCWing because there is really no benefit at all from doing it.

There is no risk as long as you follow the law. The law clearly states that while in the field hunting, the gun can be concealed. This law was passed because Mainers understand that it would be nice to have a handgun on you while hunting (for the obvious reasons) and that is difficult to NOT conceal it when wearing winter gear. It is a practical approach to making life easier for gun owners in Maine. Just make sure that when you leave the field, it is no longer concealed. Maine is a pro-gun state. I have driven through toll booths with rifles on the seat next to me. I have been pulled over with hand guns on the seat next to me. I walked around walmart with my concealed handgun no longer concealed because I reached up to get something off of a top shelf and my jacket got caught on the gun and exposed it. I walked around for 20 minutes like that before I noticed. No one cared. It is a different state. Just know the laws and follow them. They are simple to understand and follow. They are so simple and gun friendly that people from away have a hard time believing it. :)

http://www.eregulations.com/maine/hunting/firearms-laws/

Carrying concealed firearms

A permit is required to carry a concealed firearm in Maine, except that licensed hunters and trappers are exempt while engaged in these activities; the latter provision does not authorize the carrying of a concealed or loaded firearm in a motor vehicle. Some town offices or city halls issue these permits to residents. If not, contact Maine State Police. Nonresidents may obtain concealed weapons permits from the Maine State Police: (207) 624-7210.

Last edited:
I can understand their hesitation. When you live in a state that has gun laws that are vague on purpose, cops who want to arrest you just because you have a gun too and DA's that are willing to try to re-interpret any law in any way so they can to bust your ass and get you jail time, a person begins to look at clearly written pro-gun laws and think there must be some trick they are missing. I do not mean this sarcasticly, I truely understand why folks from MA look at Maine laws and think it is too risky to follow them. It is a defensive mindset that they need for survival down there. It took me a while to get use to as well.

I can understand their hesitation. When you live in a state that has gun laws that are vague on purpose, cops who want to arrest you just because you have a gun too and DA's that are willing to try to re-interpret any law in any way so they can to bust your ass and get you jail time, a person begins to look at clearly written pro-gun laws and think there must be some trick they are missing. I do not mean this sarcasticly, I truely understand why folks from MA look at Maine laws and think it is too risky to follow them. It is a defensive mindset that they need for survival down there. It took me a while to get use to as well.

Is that like an abused dog that learns to fear a gentle hand?

I'd like to apply for a ME CCW only because I own property in Maine and it is rural. I don't want to get my chops busted over carrying outside of the law. :-/

I'd like to apply for a ME CCW only because I own property in Maine and it is rural. I don't want to get my chops busted over carrying outside of the law. :-/

I'm in the same situation and have just been open carrying in and around my rural land. Most people I encounter are carrying something too, a welcome change from MA.

i'm on my way up to kittery.
can someone define open carrying.
i've got an iwb holster on but will just tuck my shirt behind my piece so it's visible. or does it not count since part of it is concealed? no big deal either way, i can just leave it unloaded in a locked container if need be.

Back
Top Bottom