Non-Resident MA & CT permits with RI Restricted Permit

I am looking to obtain Connecticut and Massachusetts Non-Res permits, but currently have a C&R restricted permit from the RI AG's office.

I wanted to see if anyone else has tried to get them on a restricted AG's permit, and, what their experience was.

Your current state permit has zero to do with other states and what they will give you.

For instance in CT you WILL get a full permit if you are not a felon. Period. It's shall issue.

I am looking to obtain Connecticut and Massachusetts Non-Res permits, but currently have a C&R restricted permit from the RI AG's office.

I wanted to see if anyone else has tried to get them on a restricted AG's permit, and, what their experience was.
CT is no problem.

MA will require that you prove you are special.

CT in the wake of Sandy Hook changed a few things. We now have three different permits. Apply for a pistol/revolver permit, (as opposed to a longarm or ammunition permit). If you're over 21, and can truthfully answer the standard questions and pass a NICS background check I believe that they won't deny you the permit.

You'll probably have had to have taken an NRA course within the last 5 years and probably a CT specific course. CT's pistol permit allows you to carry pistol concealed or unconcealed, but there are a lot of laws about "high capacity magazines" and "assault weapons" that you need to be aware of, (and then make a decision about following or not).

Brochure including contact info to Special licensing and firearms unit at: http://www.ct.gov/despp/lib/despp/slfu/firearms_brochure_12-03-14.pdf

Your current state permit has zero to do with other states and what they will give you.

For instance in CT you WILL get a full permit if you are not a felon. Period. It's shall issue.

CT is a MAY issue. Hence my inquiry. (Sec 29-28(b))

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless they have reason to NOT issue to you, it will be issued to you; at least that's been my experience and the experience of everyone I know. The plural of anecdote is data. Some towns will make you jump through more hoops than others. I'm a CT resident, I'm not sure of the process for applying as a non-resident, call the SLFU.

I had restrictions on my LTC when I applied for my CT non-res and they did not care. They issued the permit without any issues. NH is the same way. I'd say since your RI license is restricted there is a 99.999% chance that MA would restrict yours as well.

I have no experience with CT permit, but be aware that MA non resident is a yearly thing, $100.00 a pop and a trip to Chelsea to roll fingers and have a pleasant conversation for 5 min. That is AFTER your initial NRA certified pistol class- as MA requirement.

DPS interpretation is shall issue. If you aren't a felon you will get it. DPS is also very good about smacking down any PD or chief that tries to draw you out past the statutory timeframe.

In this instance CT is nothing like MA or RI.

Gotta love the fact that Connecticut law is MAY issue, but their system works like SHALL issue....meanwhile Rhode Island is shall issue, and the system works like MAY issue.

WTF!!!!!!

What is a C&R restricted permit

Most Rhode Island Atty. Gen. permits have some type of "restriction" on them.

The restriction has no statutory standing, and there is no written interpretation as to what they are (like in MA)

I have even met with the chief of BCI, who issues these permits, who was very vague about telling me exactly what the restriction meant. Basically, he told me that anytime I'm doing something in regards to my 03FFL. My personal belief is that they know the restriction has no legal standing, but they put it on there in an effort to restrict when you will actually carry.

What is a C&R restricted permit

The equivalent of nothing! Only good when your doing something involving a C&R weapon according to the AG. RI restrictions are only a quick administrative way to suspend your permit and deny a renewal. There is nothing in 11-47 pertaining to restrictions the last time I looked and no penalties in the statute for violation. Since there is nothing pertaining to a C&R carry permit in the law as it is written, does a C&R permit even legally exist? I can understand a work permit where there are defined times and locations pertaining to employment but there is nothing in the law specifying a work permit either. These restricted permits only exists still because nobody has gotten jammed up and challenged the law.

Gotta love the fact that Connecticut law is MAY issue, but their system works like SHALL issue....meanwhile Rhode Island is shall issue, and the system works like MAY issue.

WTF!!!!!!

Town permits are shall issue AG permits are may issue. This is a fight that has gone on for years in RI with the town trying to dump everything to the AG who has discretion where the town doesn't.

Back
Top Bottom