• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Non-resident LTC

Hello,
I am new to the forum. Thanks to the folks who post here... very informative.
This question is also in the General Discussion area since I did not know where the proper place to post was.
I am a PA resident with a PA CCW permit. The PA permit has no restrictions.

I am a business owner with a factory in Western Mass and I spend a good deal of time up here.

1) How difficult is it for a non-resident to obtain a Mass LTC? I believe that your unrestricted version is called all legal purposes. Is this correct?
2) If I already have a Pennsylvania permit, do I still need to show proof of attending one of the firearms safety courses that Mass requires?
3) Does Mass have any provisions like Maine, where they waive the firearms safety course requirement if you are a veteran? (I am a former Army officer and spent five years in the infantry.)

Thanks for any assistance.

1) Not difficult. Non-Resident all get "All lawful purposes" or "no restrictions" $100 and only good for a year though.
2) Yes you need a safety class or proof of one.
3) No exemptions for anyone, doesn't matter what your job was either. [sad2]

4) thank you for your service.

thanks & two quick questions...

Thanks for the responses. Two other quick questions...
Upon further digging, it looks like non-residents must apply through the Commonwealth offices versus local police department. Can someone please confirm?

Also, the application for the resident permit asks for proof of firearms safety class or hunter safety class. Would my old PA certificate from a hunter safety class in 1976 pass muster?

Thanks

Yes, non-residents must obtain a permit through the Firearms Record Bureau. The phone number of the FRB is (617) 660-4780. However, if you are a MA business owner, talk to the PD in the town your business is located in. You may be able to receive a 'resident' LTC from the local PD instead of a 'non-resident' LTC from the FRB. You're technically able to get one, but not all PDs are willing to give them out. The 'resident' one doesn't give you any more abilities than the non-resident one, but you wouldn't have to go through the hassle of renewing every year.

No, unfortunately, the hunter safety class or basic firearms class has to be given by a MA certified instructor.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. Two other quick questions...
Upon further digging, it looks like non-residents must apply through the Commonwealth offices versus local police department. Can someone please confirm?

Not sure if you read my reply in this thread:

http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59956

But with your circumstances (business owner in town) I would try to get LTC A ALP through local PD first (talk to them before applying though).

That way you only will have to jump through hoops once every 5-6 years, compared to yearly pain of renewing non-res LTC.

Back
Top Bottom