Non resident LTC

I know no one has posted in here in a while but i have questions about non res ltc in ri. Has anyone gotten one recently? I live in a bordering town and i work in ri. Everything i do i have to go through ri. Its a pain

Yes, many have gotten their permits from many towns. If you have a permit from from another State you can apply in any town. I recommend you apply in a town you visit frequently.

Any updates on which towns are easiest?

Do you have to pick up or drop off the application in person? Is the standard application used (i.e. can I just print it and mail it to a town)?

I boat in RI waters during the summer (Block, Newport, etc). I don't think it makes sense to try to get one at Block (New Shoreham) unless its done through Washington County? Maybe Newport is a better choice unless Johnston or Westerly would be easier?

Thank you!

Any updates on which towns are easiest?

Do you have to pick up or drop off the application in person? Is the standard application used (i.e. can I just print it and mail it to a town)?

I boat in RI waters during the summer (Block, Newport, etc). I don't think it makes sense to try to get one at Block (New Shoreham) unless its done through Washington County? Maybe Newport is a better choice unless Johnston or Westerly would be easier?

Thank you!

You could apply to New Shoreham any by law they have to accept and process it. Likewise you could also apply in Newport. Just make sure that you have fulfilled all the requirements in 11-47-11, specifically the "Proper Reason" and to research relevant court cases to in which case law would support you.
In the winter, where do you keep your boat?

You could apply to New Shoreham any by law they have to accept and process it. Likewise you could also apply in Newport. Just make sure that you have fulfilled all the requirements in 11-47-11, specifically the "Proper Reason" and to research relevant court cases to in which case law would support you.
In the winter, where do you keep your boat?

i see the proper reason on the attorney general forum but is that necessary for applying through a town. if so, are there cliff notes here on 11-47-11 ? i.e. what people are listing as proper reason? i don't see a space to list even on the attorney general form so is it being asked in a face-to-face interview or what? thank you!!

so there is a spot on the form somewhere for that? I didn't see a space on the AG's form... may have overlooked it though... ?

I think you provide reason in the letter that you have to provide. If I remember correctly, you need 3 references and need to provide your own letter for why you "want/need" a permit

I think you provide reason in the letter that you have to provide. If I remember correctly, you need 3 references and need to provide your own letter for why you "want/need" a permit

I see it now on the AG application - thanks!

Does anyone have a local town's application (such as Newport)? Would save me a trip from having to go pick up from out-of-state! Or if not the application, a list of all the requirements so I can come prepared, fill out, and drop off the same day?

I am curious if towns just use the state form and then add their supplemental requirements?

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:
mystery, you can contact any of the local licensing authorities and request an application. Don't ask them if they issue, just say that you would like an application. If they give you a hard time, request it under APRA and they will give it to you since I have received applications from every licensing authority in the past. Most of them are probably outdated now so you should request the latest from them.

mystery, you can contact any of the local licensing authorities and request an application. Don't ask them if they issue, just say that you would like an application. If they give you a hard time, request it under APRA and they will give it to you since I have received applications from every licensing authority in the past. Most of them are probably outdated now so you should request the latest from them.

thanks. calling in got me no where. i then asked for the name of the person in charge (usually a captain), found their email address, and successfully got the forms emailed to me for a couple towns. now to pick which town to apply through...

I just got back from picking up my renewal at the AG's office. Everyone was very pleasant, almost no wait.

The big surprise is that RI has climbed out of the dark ages when it comes to form factor. The permits are no longer laminated paper with a photo glued on before lamination. The woman handling the permits took a new photo (did not use the one I sent), scanned my thumbprint and had me sign one of those digital signature devices. I was sent to the lobby and 5 minutes later was handed a credit card sized RI permit that fits nicely in the wallet.

The back of the permit contains a notice that any copying of the permit or state seal is cause for revocation, plus a bar code.

Nice to see the RIAG is finally getting with the program and making permits that seems legit..
I'm surprised that they won't let you photocopy it since many states requires that you send a copy of your home permit [frown]

Finally got my Mass LTC (with no restrictions) and going to tackle RI non-resident now. Has anything changed the past few months? Will probably apply in Newport or East Greenwich. Thanks!

Interested in this thread. I have my MA LTC and want my RI non-resident LTC because I float between these 2 states all the time. Just about all my reasons for an LTC in MA apply to RI.

I called a couple police stations and they pretty much all told me to apply at the AG office. I found this thread and realize that may not be my best course of action. Johnston was one of the stations that I called and they told me that they are "reviewing their policies and not handing out any" so I should go to the AG office.

If they give you a hard time, request it under APRA and they will give it to you since I have received applications from every licensing authority in the past.

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is APRA? Obviously I don't want to go down to a station and be argumentative. I want my non-resident LTC with as little hassle as possible.

Anyone have any suggestions above and beyond what's in this thread? Does the AG office have a habit of rejecting applications for no reason?

Interested in this thread. I have my MA LTC and want my RI non-resident LTC because I float between these 2 states all the time. Just about all my reasons for an LTC in MA apply to RI.

I called a couple police stations and they pretty much all told me to apply at the AG office. I found this thread and realize that may not be my best course of action. Johnston was one of the stations that I called and they told me that they are "reviewing their policies and not handing out any" so I should go to the AG office.

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is APRA? Obviously I don't want to go down to a station and be argumentative. I want my non-resident LTC with as little hassle as possible.

Anyone have any suggestions above and beyond what's in this thread? Does the AG office have a habit of rejecting applications for no reason?

Tons of info online if you search and google. Take a look at: http://www.rifol.org/References/RI_CCW_Permits.pdf Johnston is not a town that has issued a large # of permits. I'd pick one that has issued a larger number with no denials.

Tons of info online if you search and google. Take a look at: http://www.rifol.org/References/RI_CCW_Permits.pdf Johnston is not a town that has issued a large # of permits. I'd pick one that has issued a larger number with no denials.

Those FOIA numbers are from 2015. Is there anything newer? I’m thinking of Warwick as I have a few construction sites there coming up. They seem to have issued more than average. Is it still the same Chief/ issuing officer as 2015?

I recently applied to the AG for a RI non resident LTC (Mass resident). Needless to say I got a denial letter, which I'm planning on appealing. What experience/recommendations does anyone have? I'm a NRA certified instructor, RSO and 03 FFL holder. I'm also a member of the RI National Guard. Recently I started getting requests to do quals and training in RI, so I'm looking to expand my business. As such I wanted to get my RI LTC and was surprised at the denial. Should I get a lawyer to go to the appeal process? Recommendations? Anyone with experience with the BCI Chief, who I've been told is not pro military and is the person causing all the denials?

Thanks,

Chip

[email protected]
[email protected]

You never apply via the RI AG’s office, there are a towns that offer RI non-res LTCs on basically a shall-issue basis as long as you have a resident LTC in your home state. I got mine through the City of Johnston, I know others that got theirs through West Greeenwich (I have a MA res Class A unrestricted). The problem now is that you have been denied it’ll prevent you from getting one in ny of the towns and it could even affect your MA renewal depending on how much of a dick your local police chief is. Most of the towns in RI won’t outright reject you, they’ll tell you to come pick up your paperwork which while isn’t an acceptance doesn’t count as a denial either so you’re free to try elsewhere. The AG’s office doesn’t give them to anyone unless you know someone

I would suggest getting the application from a couple towns on that list that issue and see which one you want to do. Some have extra requirements and questionnaires.

APRA=Access to Public Records Act and you can read more about it here Chapter 38-2 - Index of Sections
Generally speaking, all documents owned by an official are public information unless they are exempted by law.
There is no update to the list from 2015 to my knowledge. I did it one year (2010), and it is a lot of work to contact them and keep track of all the requests and I was glad to see the AG do it in 2015. The first time it was done was in the mid 2000s I believe, and there has been a HUGE improvement to CCW since then. Back then only a few towns had applications and even fewer issued. It was a struggle to just get an application and many Chiefs had to get sued to just to get an application. Fortunately, every town now has a process and nearly all licensing authorities have issued permits. This is largely due to people being fed up with some LEO ignoring the law and instead forcing the issue and making a change. There are still some chiefs that ignore the law, but this battle is being one battle at a time in the RI Supreme Court.

I received my RI LTC through Narragansett where I own a vacation home. I took the a course on RI Laws at Elite Indoor Range in Peacedale and qualified with my 45 the same day. Everybody at the police department was very nice, polite, and respectful. Time from application to issuance was about 14 weeks. I do have my C&R and feel that it helped the process.

With the new red flag law in place, Narragansett requires that you sign medical releases for every mental health hospital in RI and McClane in Boston as well as the VA. I really suggest taking the course at Elite as the instructors were great and they are very knowledgeable about the towns in the North and South Kingston areas. PM me if you have any questions.

Interested in this thread. I have my MA LTC and want my RI non-resident LTC because I float between these 2 states all the time.

Like previous poster "mystery" said, go to Rhode Island Firearm Owners' League and browse the info. The Forum there is also full of good info and advice. Like you, I am in and out of both states every day and live on the border by Woony. Was a pain having to dress differently all the time. Not any more.

As to a town to apply, there are several that are issuing to Non-Res. I got mine out of EG. Great people and easy process. (Pro-Tip- I did not see or interact with an actual police officer the entire process)

Downside-about a 6 week wait for the appt and then another 6-8 for the license. The issuing office is a busy place because, well, they issue. But they will issue Non-Res as long as you meet the qualifications. PM me and I can send you a copy of the application, instructions, etc. if you want.

Good luck.

Like previous poster "mystery" said, go to Rhode Island Firearm Owners' League and browse the info. The Forum there is also full of good info and advice. Like you, I am in and out of both states every day and live on the border by Woony. Was a pain having to dress differently all the time. Not any more.

As to a town to apply, there are several that are issuing to Non-Res. I got mine out of EG. Great people and easy process. (Pro-Tip- I did not see or interact with an actual police officer the entire process)

Downside-about a 6 week wait for the appt and then another 6-8 for the license. The issuing office is a busy place because, well, they issue. But they will issue Non-Res as long as you meet the qualifications. PM me and I can send you a copy of the application, instructions, etc. if you want.

Good luck.
Pm inbound

Back
Top Bottom