• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Non Resident LTC

MJM

just received my non-res MA LTC..........now trying to figure out the big difference between carrying in NH and in MA [frown] [banghead]
like, obligation to present LTC to LEO while carrying? where you cannot carry ie. bars, restaurants that serve alcohol, pet stores [wink]. do i need a MA compliant handgun when carrying in MA? just looking for some basic info without trying to decipher the cryptic scribes that are known collectively as the Mass gun laws.[thinking] thanks guys.

BTW my LTC is "no restrictions" is that good, should i be OK with that? should i try and appeal [wave] (sarcasm alert)

just received my non-res MA LTC..........now trying to figure out the big difference between carrying in NH and in MA [frown] [banghead]
like, obligation to present LTC to LEO while carrying?
No obligation to notify in MA.

where you cannot carry ie. bars, restaurants that serve alcohol, pet stores [wink].
You can carry in bars, restaurants, churches, etc.. "No guns" signage is not legally binding in MA, other than if the property owner tells you to leave and you don't then you are trespassing.

do i need a MA compliant handgun when carrying in MA?
No. But be sure you do not violate the assault weapons ban. Any handgun magazine greater than 10 rounds must be pre-ban (pre Sept 14, 1994, IIRC).

came across this statement in Mass Non-Res post "This means that even if you do have a non-resident Massachusetts License to Carry, you cannot possess what is commonly known as "post-ban" high capacity magazines unless you are a police officer. Violation of this law is a felony." i need a little clarification regarding this statement. am i to interpret this as i can only posses a 10 rd magazine while carrying in MA with my non-res LTC???? [thinking]

...am i to interpret this as i can only posses a 10 rd magazine while carrying in MA with my non-res LTC???? [thinking]

No, you can possess a magazine with a capacity in excess of 10 rounds ("large capacity"), but ONLY if it was manufactured prior to 9/14/94 ("pre-ban").

Last edited:
came across this statement in Mass Non-Res post "This means that even if you do have a non-resident Massachusetts License to Carry, you cannot possess what is commonly known as "post-ban" high capacity magazines unless you are a police officer. Violation of this law is a felony." i need a little clarification regarding this statement. am i to interpret this as i can only posses a 10 rd magazine while carrying in MA with my non-res LTC???? [thinking]

As posted above, you can carry a high capacity magazine ONLY if it is preban -- that is, manufactured prior to Sept 14, 1994.

BTW my LTC is "no restrictions"

I thought that non-resident licenses are generally issued with restrictions these days. Did you have to do anything (or be someone) special to get an unrestricted LTC?

thanks for the info guys, per usual rapid responses [cheers]. in terms of non-resident no restriction LTC i honestly don't know why i got no restrictions. another buddy of mine from NH just got his "unrestricted" as a first time non resident LTC as well. they must figure that if we get them without restrictions we will be more willing to go back year, after year, after year each time dropping $100 [wink].

oops....license says "non-resident class A large capacity LTC" minor oversight [rolleyes]

I thought that non-resident licenses are generally issued with restrictions these days. Did you have to do anything (or be someone) special to get an unrestricted LTC?

CHSB or whatever they call themselves now is blowing hot and cold. Not long ago the word was that they would unrestrict after a year, or that they may have been game-able with a dog and pony show. Some of it might depend on how one constructs their "need" statement in their application. If you put a big dog and pony show in there, they might be less likely to hassle you.

For awhile they were also just lying to people, too... would go something like this:

Applicant: "So is my license going to be issued unrestricted?"
Smarmy state douche guy: " There shouldn't be any problem. "

(much time passes, guy gets envelope with license in it)

Applicant: "That f**king weasel lied to me- it says Hunting and Target on it. "

-Mike

No, you can possess a magazine with a capacity in excess of 10 rounds ("large capacity"), but ONLY if it was manufactured prior to 9/13/94 ("pre-ban").
no, no, no........"possessed" on or before 9/13/94. if they are stamped "manufactured 9/13/94" they could not have been possessed by you at that time, unless you can prove you were at the glock factory that morning to pick them up!

Last edited:
no, no, no........"possessed" on or before 9/13/94. if they are stamped "manufactured 9/13/94" they could not have been possessed by you at that time, unless you can prove you were at the glock factory that morning to pick them up!
What are you going on about?

The only thing that Kevlar got wrong was that he was off by one on the date. A pre-ban magazine is one that was manufactured on or before 9/13/94. You do not need to have possessed it on that date. It just needs to have been legally possessed by somebody (i.e., the manufacturer) on that date. Then it is preban and you are good to go. It could have sat in the manufacturers or a distributors warehouse ever since. It is still preban.

Last edited:
whatever, the Law says posessed, not manufactured!
I have 2 glock 23 mags that say 9/13/94 on them, and I for one would never think about using them for carry!

I have 2 glock 23 mags that say 9/13/94 on them, and I for one would never think about using them for carry!

The law does not say that you must have possessed them on 9/13/94. It just says that the magazines must have been lawfully possessed on 9/13/94. Specifically:

(2) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to the possession or transfer of any large capacity ammunition feeding device otherwise lawfully possessed on or before the date of the enactment of this subsection.

You don't understand the law. Please stop posting misinformation about it.

Last edited:
no, no, no........"possessed" on or before 9/13/94.

The law doesn't indicate "lawfully possessed" by whom.

At the time of manufacture (assuming prior to 9/14/94), they were "lawfully possessed".

if they are stamped "manufactured 9/13/94"...

They would be "post-ban", as such markings were a requirement under the Federal AWB.

...they could not have been possessed by you at that time, unless you can prove you were at the glock factory that morning to pick them up!

SEE: answer #1

The only thing that Kevlar got wrong was that he was off by one on the date.

+1 Thanks for catching that. Previous post edited.

Those are definitely "post-ban", and if you are a resident of MA, are a felony to possess.

You don't understand the law. Please stop posting misinformation about it.

Seriously.

Last edited:
fine, all I am saying is I would not feel comfortable carrying the 9/13/94 mags on me. too shady as to legality. As far as I'm concerned, I will consider them illegal.

fine, all I am saying is I would not feel comfortable carrying the 9/13/94 mags on me. too shady as to legality. As far as I'm concerned, I will consider them illegal.

1) I don't know when your magazines were manufactured. You'll need to research that.
2) Preban magazines manufactured on or before to 9/13/94 are completely legal. Nothing shady about preban magazines.
3) Proving that the magazines were, in fact, built prior to 9/13/94 is another ball of wax.

I'm telling you they say right on them.....9/13/94 lets end this debate please! legal or not, I'm not willing to take the risk, so they stay in NH until i find someone up there willing to trade me for some Ma compliant ones.

The ban went into effect on 9-13-94... correct?? and I do understand the wording of "on or before 9-13-94" But is it worth the money to try and fight it in court? Technically these mags were manufactured on the day the ban came into law...for me that would be cutting it a bit close...It would probably be good advise to avoid these mags....But I tend to be cautious...unlike most people that interpret laws on their own, thinking it will stand a snowballs chance in hell in court because its the way "they" read it...lawyers cost a lot more money than a High cap mag, so why not just play it safe..besides you can carry as many 10 rounders as you like..and if you can't make 10 rounds work you have bigger issues than the extra 5 in the high cap

I completly understand that it only applies to after the day it took effect....I'm not going to be the one to try and prove that in court though...and I think it would be safe to say it is not worth the aggrivation.

Every summer I drive from Mass to Washington state, Before leaving I call EVERY state I will pass through and explane what I am doing (traveling with a firearm) I let them know I have permits in several states including my end destination of Washington state...You would think I was protected under the federal transportation act right? WRONG! New York and Ill both told me if I was pulled over for a minor traffic violation that I would be arrested the weapon confiscated...I said but I am covered under the federal law...they said you can prove that in court....Is it worth the money? New York finally told me that I can pass through as long as I make NO stops what so ever...Illinois finally budged and told me to just stay out of Chicago...unfortunately I-90 runs right through Chicago...so I just take the scenic route and drive around the city....just for the record I also told them it would be unloaded and locked seperatly in the trunk...they did not give a rats a**

All I am trying to say is that it could cause more aggrivation than it is worth to chance something like this

Back
Top Bottom