Non resident Ltc with pre ban mini 14 side folder

Hey guys. I’ve got an unrestricted non resident ltc for massachusetts. I own a preban mini 14 with a factory side folder. I live in Vermont. Would I be able to travel into the commonwealth with it in my truck?It fits perfectly under my lockable seat. I’ve heard that it would have to be pre 98 registered in the state. This came from my interviewer in Chelsea. Any non legal binding opinions?

Two questions:

(1) What are you doing in Mass?
(2) Is Mass your ultimate final destination?

I own property and have business dealings in mass. That is why I was granted ltc. So it’s my final destination. Could I purchase a pre ban long gun in mass? I know it’s possible federally but will the commonwealth agree to it?

Regarding the question in your first post - yes you can travel with your mini 14 in your truck (following applicable laws regarding transport, of course). There is no requirement for pre-ban guns to have been in MA prior to the ban, it simply needs to have been "lawfully possessed" on Sept 13, 1994 (see MGL ch 140 sec 131M). The "must have been in MA" requirement is entirely made-up.

Regarding your second post, no you cannot purchase any guns in MA. Under MA laws, MA dealers are only allowed to sell/transfer to MA residents (so even though it would be kosher per Federal law, they can't do it).

You could ask them to send it to an FFL in VT and then the VT FFL could transfer it to you.

Great stuff guys! Thanks for help with navigating the mass laws. I’ll continue my homework. I left mass nearly 20 years ago never thought I’d be back. Got spoiled up here in Vermont. I lost my mom in 2014, she was on her deathbed while I was on a job in New Hampshire. Was two hours away from home. Had to make a decision of risking coming into mass with a firearm or not being able to say goodbye.

Mini-14s are specifically exempt from the Mass AWB, like Springfield M1As. So to answer that question, you can bring one into Mass. I think you're also asking if a Mini-14 can also be used a "truck gun" and the answer to that is probably no because of Mass safe storage laws.

Frequently Asked Questions about the Assault Weapons Ban Enforcement Notice

A fun and effective new Rifle (Mass ok)
I read the exemption on the mass site. Does that include an evil side folder with a pistol grip?

make sure any mags you bring are pre-ban if they are over 10 rounds!
No doubt. I’ll not even bring pre bans, too ambiguous in identification. I plan on printing out the Ruger serial number list that proves age by serial for the rifle.

Regarding the question in your first post - yes you can travel with your mini 14 in your truck (following applicable laws regarding transport, of course). There is no requirement for pre-ban guns to have been in MA prior to the ban, it simply needs to have been "lawfully possessed" on Sept 13, 1994 (see MGL ch 140 sec 131M). The "must have been in MA" requirement is entirely made-up.

Regarding your second post, no you cannot purchase any guns in MA. Under MA laws, MA dealers are only allowed to sell/transfer to MA residents (so even though it would be kosher per Federal law, they can't do it).

You could ask them to send it to an FFL in VT and then the VT FFL could transfer it to you.

Ah. That explains something I'd wondered about for a long time. I bought a rifle at a gunshow in Massachusetts. The seller transferred it to a CT FFL who was at the show, who subsequently transferred it to me back in CT. It seemed odd, but the price was good and the CT dealer was in a nearby town so I didn't care. This was back in 2014, and I had a vague understanding of gun laws at the time.

video - Everything's illegal in Massachusetts.

Mini-14s are specifically exempt from the Mass AWB, like Springfield M1As. So to answer that question, you can bring one into Mass. I think you're also asking if a Mini-14 can also be used a "truck gun" and the answer to that is probably no because of Mass safe storage laws.

Frequently Asked Questions about the Assault Weapons Ban Enforcement Notice

A fun and effective new Rifle (Mass ok)
Note that strictly speaking the law exempts "Mini-14s w/o a folding stock" as recently discussed in another thread.
If it's pre-94 it's fine either way.

I read the exemption on the mass site. Does that include an evil side folder with a pistol grip?
See above. The 922r appendix says "Mini-14 w/o a folding stock." Presumably a bayonet lug and pistol grip would be fine, ironically.

Curious about this use case:

Said rifle:
- Purchased in MA by a MA LTC holder pre-7/20
- Rifle was in "MA Compliant" configuration (target crown, no lug, fixed stock)
- Rifle kept in said config
- Owner of rifle moves out of state
- Owner obtains non-res LTC ALP

Is owner of said rifle free to bring it to MA in "MA Compliant" format?
Unsurprisingly, Chelsea office advised "No" - an FFL I spoke with advised "Yes."

The FAQ as of right now does say "The Enforcement notice will not be applied to possession, ownership or transfer by an individual gun owner of weapons obtained on or before July 20, 2016."

Hey guys. I’ve got an unrestricted non resident ltc for massachusetts. I own a preban mini 14 with a factory side folder. I live in Vermont. Would I be able to travel into the commonwealth with it in my truck?It fits perfectly under my lockable seat. I’ve heard that it would have to be pre 98 registered in the state. This came from my interviewer in Chelsea. Any non legal binding opinions?
If you really want to be cautious, drop in a full stock/forend and install the factory 5 round mag that shipped with the rifle. Now you have a simple semiauto hunting rifle. Cops see folding stock or other evil features in this Communist state, you may get hassled at best or arrested at worst. Not worth chancing it. You could lose your NR LTC and have to eat thousands in legal fees. My wife owns a late-model Mini 14 ranch rifle on her resident alien rifle/shotgun permit, which is also legal on my FID. To avoid trouble, she keeps it bone-stock.

Got to say they were very pleasant and helpful in the non resident ltc process.
Nice is one thing. Giving people their personal interpretation of the law is another.
True, good people but no lawyers and very little real knowledge of gun laws. FRB is basically a data center with added duties (interviewing and issuing NR LTCs). Not a place to ask legal questions about the MA AWB.

Curious about this use case:

Said rifle:
- Purchased in MA by a MA LTC holder pre-7/20
- Rifle was in "MA Compliant" configuration (target crown, no lug, fixed stock)
- Rifle kept in said config
- Owner of rifle moves out of state
- Owner obtains non-res LTC ALP

Is owner of said rifle free to bring it to MA in "MA Compliant" format?
Unsurprisingly, Chelsea office advised "No" - an FFL I spoke with advised "Yes."

The FAQ as of right now does say "The Enforcement notice will not be applied to possession, ownership or transfer by an individual gun owner of weapons obtained on or before July 20, 2016."
FAQ is irrelevant really. Follow MGL and you are GTG. More so even if you believe the AG's BS if it was in MA and compliant previous to her press conference and memo.

Back
Top Bottom