Non Resident Connecticut LTC

How difficult is it to obtain a non resident Connecticut LTC? Does it help in any way to have my MA LTC which I do? Trying to find out the process but can only find the process for resident LTC. Thanks.

Easy if you have the proper NRA safety course certificate (need at least the LTC-002 course) and some money.

Office Hours

Special Licensing & Firearms Unit - HQ
1111 Country Club Road
Middletown, CT 06457
Tel. (860) 685-8290

• Monday through Friday: 8:30 am - 4:15 pm

Call them and ask. I had to take a trip down to Middletown, CT 4 years ago. I think the fees have gone up since then. They used to mail you the packet.

I did mine all through the mail back in 2016. Didn't have to go to Middletown.

How difficult is it to obtain a non resident Connecticut LTC? Does it help in any way to have my MA LTC which I do? Trying to find out the process but can only find the process for resident LTC. Thanks.

The process should be fairly straightforward. A permit to carry from another state is required as a pre-req for obtaining a Connecticut permit to carry as a non-resident. It will be necessary to present an acceptable safety certificate. The most common course is NRA Basic Pistol Shooting (LTC-002). The NRA certificate is sufficient. There are also a couple of questions about your instructor on the 799C form as well.

Be sure to be honest when filling out the application.

It is possible for an applicant to be denied (or a permit holder to be revoked) for suitability reasons. State denials for suitability are pretty uncommon. There is an administrative appeals process for denials/revocations. (IF you would like to see what those hearings look like you can watch meetings/hearings of the Board of Firearms Permit Examiners (BFPE) on CT-N.

It is also important to note that Connecticut does have a list of prohibitive misdemeanors as well.

The best thing to do is call and get the application. The signatures need to be notarized.

I applied in person down in Middletown last year. They quoted a 4 month turn around and that’s what it took.

The staff there is terrific and very helpful.

There are 3,457 threads on this in the Connecticut laws forum. ( channeling JACK) :p

FWIW:
They accepted my NRA Basic Marksmanship Training Program Pistol Shooting from 1984.

Four separate checks were required for:
$15 fee to be fingerprinted.
$70 application fee
$75 CT fingerprint processing fee
$12 FBI fingerprint processing fee

You can save the $15.00 fingerprint fee if your local PD will do the prints.

I got mine last year.

Bob

I submitted my packed, and it arrived in CT State Police Feb 8. Haven’t heard a word yet. Although there is a pandemic going on but no idea if they’re still processing

I sent my completed application in February 20 and exactly 3 months later I got my non resident permit

Wait about 30-45 days after you mail it and give the office a call and she will confirm she has the application and does not need any additional ifo

Very easy for the most part. However it is EXPENSIVE compared to any other state I have.
they also took the longest to issue.

I did the Mass Firearms School CT class and it is helpful as they do your prints, notarize everything, and walk you through all the intricacies of the forms. Worth it IMO if you dont want to drive to CT or run around doing all that yourself.

I did the Mass Firearms School CT class and it is helpful as they do your prints, notarize everything, and walk you through all the intricacies of the forms. Worth it IMO if you dont want to drive to CT or run around doing all that yourself.

This is a renewal. All of that has been done. This is 100% bullsh!t.

They shut down the phone line due to covid...

Call it right now and enjoy!!!

Special Licensing & Firearms Unit
1111 Country Club Road
Middletown, CT. 06457
Tel. (860) 685-8290

Finally spoke to someone today and they said they don't have the manpower to check and see if they received my application for renewal. They were very nice. Said to keep checking my bank. Once the check is cashed, it's approved.

I applied August 12th, 2020 and I’m still waiting on mine... no answer yet as of December 2nd 2020.

When looking at appeals for denials.... they go all the way out till 2023.

Does anyone know if they’ll accept my instructor credentials in place of the NRA Basic Pistol course cert? I have no idea where my NRA BP cert is...

Does anyone know if they’ll accept my instructor credentials in place of the NRA Basic Pistol course cert? I have no idea where my NRA BP cert is...
Call and ask. I did that for ME and they said fine, just send us a copy of your NRA Instructor cert.

Your permit is still good for 180 days after expiration just an FYI

Well, I officially expired, so I guess I'm in the grace period. Where are you finding this 180 day extension? This is unbelievable. Thanks Blumenthal, Murphy and Lamont. Might as well have reciprocity with Mass. Dealing with the same type of a**h***s.

Normally you would have 90 days anyways

The link doesn't want to paste but attached it

Attachments

• A2F6BB93F1D94D1D958D1492FD6786A8.ashx (1).pdf
    47 KB · Views: 5
Back
Top Bottom