1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Non Resident Connecticut LTC

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jkon, Jun 19, 2019.

1. jkon

jkon

How difficult is it to obtain a non resident Connecticut LTC? Does it help in any way to have my MA LTC which I do? Trying to find out the process but can only find the process for resident LTC. Thanks.

2. andrew1220

andrew1220 NES Member

Easy if you have the proper NRA safety course certificate (need at least the LTC-002 course) and some money.

3. MassPete

MassPete Instructor NES Member

Office Hours

Special Licensing & Firearms Unit - HQ
    1111 Country Club Road
    Middletown, CT 06457
    Tel. (860) 685-8290

• Monday through Friday: 8:30 am - 4:15 pm

Call them and ask. I had to take a trip down to Middletown, CT 4 years ago. I think the fees have gone up since then. They used to mail you the packet.

4. MassPete

MassPete Instructor NES Member

5. andrew1220

andrew1220 NES Member

I did mine all through the mail back in 2016. Didn't have to go to Middletown.

6. JRT

JRT NES Member

I hope ol’ One Eye Jack is ok, he’s usually weighed in by now with snark about post 3457.

andrew1220 likes this.
  7. JAD

JAD

The process should be fairly straightforward. A permit to carry from another state is required as a pre-req for obtaining a Connecticut permit to carry as a non-resident. It will be necessary to present an acceptable safety certificate. The most common course is NRA Basic Pistol Shooting (LTC-002). The NRA certificate is sufficient. There are also a couple of questions about your instructor on the 799C form as well.

Be sure to be honest when filling out the application.

It is possible for an applicant to be denied (or a permit holder to be revoked) for suitability reasons. State denials for suitability are pretty uncommon. There is an administrative appeals process for denials/revocations. (IF you would like to see what those hearings look like you can watch meetings/hearings of the Board of Firearms Permit Examiners (BFPE) on CT-N.

It is also important to note that Connecticut does have a list of prohibitive misdemeanors as well.

8. HorizontalHunter

HorizontalHunter NES Member

The best thing to do is call and get the application. The signatures need to be notarized.

I applied in person down in Middletown last year. They quoted a 4 month turn around and that’s what it took.

The staff there is terrific and very helpful.

There are 3,457 threads on this in the Connecticut laws forum. ( channeling JACK) :p

FWIW:
    They accepted my NRA Basic Marksmanship Training Program Pistol Shooting from 1984.

Four separate checks were required for:
    $15 fee to be fingerprinted.
    $70 application fee
    $75 CT fingerprint processing fee
    $12 FBI fingerprint processing fee

You can save the $15.00 fingerprint fee if your local PD will do the prints.

I got mine last year.

Bob

andrew1220 likes this.