Non-resident CCW?

sent mine in last month(end of September) and interview still February, expires end of March
But i have to say the folks i have interviewed with made the process easy compared to the way some residents are treated in their own town

sent mine in last month(end of September) and interview still February, expires end of March
But i have to say the folks i have interviewed with made the process easy compared to the way some residents are treated in their own town

Yeah, I never had a problem from then at an interview. In fact, several years back, one guy said they would probably be looking for mention of travel to high crime towns in the future- hint, hint. So my text got revised on the next re-up.

They aren't bad to deal with at all.It just takes quite a bit of time to get your permit after the interview

Aug 20 interview. Got my alp yesterday

Going on over 8 weeks, still nothing. I emailed at 6 weeks and 7 weeks, nothing back. I emailed 2 other people can got email rejected. Looks like I might have to make a call. They never sent mine until I emailed them last year, but they actually got back to me last year..... ridiculous.

edit: called and it's being processed... shouldn't be too much longer. 6 month process so far.

Last edited:
Sent my non-res renewal in last week. My appointment is scheduled for mid-March. So, four months out.

And yes... I'll be expired by then. My own fault. Somerimes life gets in the way of getting the darn annual paperwork done.

Every year I swear I'm going to apply for renewal the week my license comes in the mail. Every year I get busy and fail to do it. Sigh.

This year, I sent in my renewal app in early June, had my appointment in early October, and received the LTC in late November.
When I was at the interview, they gave me a copy of the new in-person requirements, and I received a copy with my LTC. So, in-person only every 6 years for the future depending on when your birthday is. Still have to renew every year.

I try not to voluntarily cross the border, and never w/o first cleaning out the car.

...in-person only every 6 years for the future depending on when your birthday is. Still have to renew every year.
6 years between interviews almost makes a MA LTC worth the hassle.

This is my first time doing this. CT permit holder, sent my MA application in September, have my interview in January. Has it gotten any more straightforward as far as whether you get unrestricted or not?

Should take about 3 months after the interview. .

My first year it took 3.5-4 weeks...

This year, I sent in my renewal app in early June, had my appointment in early October, and received the LTC in late November.
When I was at the interview, they gave me a copy of the new in-person requirements, and I received a copy with my LTC. So, in-person only every 6 years for the future depending on when your birthday is. Still have to renew every year.

Interview late Sept- still no LTC. They told me it was being processed a week and a half ago, its been over 10 weeks. I need to call them again, this is ridiculous....

My first year it took 3.5-4 weeks...

Interview late Sept- still no LTC. They told me it was being processed a week and a half ago, its been over 10 weeks. I need to call them again, this is ridiculous....

When you call them ask if they have any specific info at hand about where in the process. My initial, for example, got held up because DMH took forever to get back with a response.

When you call them ask if they have any specific info at hand about where in the process. My initial, for example, got held up because DMH took forever to get back with a response.

Called yesterday. Guy on phone who actually was the 'interviewer' during my appt said the woman that approves the changes to the restrictions (employment to unrestricted hopefully) only comes in a couple days a week. He moved my app to the top of the pile so hopefully she'll look at it by the end of the week. Soooooo sloooooow the process this year. I didn't know there was someone specific who approves changes to restrictions. I figure everyone wants to go from restricted to unrestricted.

Called yesterday. Guy on phone who actually was the 'interviewer' during my appt said the woman that approves the changes to the restrictions (employment to unrestricted hopefully) only comes in a couple days a week. He moved my app to the top of the pile so hopefully she'll look at it by the end of the week. Soooooo sloooooow the process this year. I didn't know there was someone specific who approves changes to restrictions. I figure everyone wants to go from restricted to unrestricted.

How often do they come in restricted? I thought they mostly were unrestricted as the whole point is to allow you to carry.

How often do they come in restricted? I thought they mostly were unrestricted as the whole point is to allow you to carry.

While I don't have any specific numbers, I can say that there are good numbers of both restricted and ALP non-resident licenses. Remember that a restricted license does not prohibit carry altogether. Rather, it prohibits carry outside the scope of the restriction imposed by the issuing authority. Unlike some towns, FRB has very clearly defined what the restrictions mean with respect to non-resident licenses.

Well, you learn something new every day. Is there a way you have to go about it to get unrestricted or is it a random thing based on the guy doing the interview that day? At some point I was hoping to get out of this state and would then be stuck with a NR license.

Well, you learn something new every day. Is there a way you have to go about it to get unrestricted or is it a random thing based on the guy doing the interview that day? At some point I was hoping to get out of this state and would then be stuck with a NR license.

If you have had an unrestricted LTC in MA for a few years or more as a resident you should mention this on your application, it will improve your odds considerably of still remaining "washed" when you move out.

-Mike

Outside a couple of anecdotal situations, it is not random. They typically look for articulation of a specific reason why the applicant is subject to some risk greater than that of a typical person. Having held an ALP license as a resident is said to be helpful.

Outside a couple of anecdotal situations, it is not random. They typically look for articulation of a specific reason why the applicant is subject to some risk greater than that of a typical person. Having held an ALP license as a resident is said to be helpful.

It is more of the articulation. I had a MA resident unrestricted for 6 years and had just been renewed for 6 when I moved. I got "sporting" my first two times, then I re-wrote my application letter. Third time was the charm, unrestricted.

Now that no interview is required, when should I apply? I used to apply 6 months before expiration, but 3.5 of that was the wait for the appointment. So should I apply 2 months early instead of 6?

I think I'm going to go with a solid 3 months to give them enough time to renew.

It is more of the articulation. I had a MA resident unrestricted for 6 years and had just been renewed for 6 when I moved. I got "sporting" my first two times, then I re-wrote my application letter. Third time was the charm, unrestricted.

Now that no interview is required, when should I apply? I used to apply 6 months before expiration, but 3.5 of that was the wait for the appointment. So should I apply 2 months early instead of 6?

When I spoke with FRB, I was told to expect a 90 to 120 day turn-around time on renewals. The confirmation letter says 90 days. I sent mine in at ~5 months out to allow for buffer. Worst case is that I get it back early.

Sent in my renewal application on 5/31. Got an e-mail 6/13 stating that I do not need to appear in-person, and noting that they anticipate that it will take 90 days to complete, and to contact them if I have not received the license in 90 days. We'll see what happens...

Renewal app received by FRB on 4/3. Current LTC expired 8/10.
Called at 90 days and 120 days. Both times told it was in final review and would be a few weeks.

Regardless of whether or not they interview you, they're still sitting on applications and waiting. No way on gods green earth does it take this long to process an application, I don't care how many they are getting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Renewal app received by FRB on 4/3. Current LTC expired 8/10.
Called at 90 days and 120 days. Both times told it was in final review and would be a few weeks.

Regardless of whether or not they interview you, they're still sitting on applications and waiting. No way on gods green earth does it take this long to process an application, I don't care how many they are getting.

9/3 - Still waiting.... LTC Expired for over 3 weeks now.

Funny thing - I had my UT, FL and RI licenses come due at around the same time.

UT - Under 2 weeks
FL - Under a month
RI - Almost exactly one month

Back
Top Bottom