• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Non-resident CCW?

Appointment Scheduled Feb 23
Appointment on April 27
Unrestricted Non-Res LTC Received 6/10

Still can't believe it's a four month process

Appointment Scheduled Feb 23
Appointment on April 27
Unrestricted Non-Res LTC Received 6/10

Still can't believe it's a four month process

Congratulations on your process being so efficient. I wonder what the rhyme/reason is behind scheduling time-frames.

I submitted my renewal a little before you and ended up with an appointment next week....about 4 months out.

Congratulations on your process being so efficient. I wonder what the rhyme/reason is behind scheduling time-frames.

I submitted my renewal a little before you and ended up with an appointment next week....about 4 months out.

Feb 23 is the day that I got the email with my appointment. I mailed my stuff in probably two days before that, Priority mail.

Hoping for unrestricted this year. If not, I'm going to pm you, lol. I have a friend looking to get his non resident ltc. He's on the border, so hopefully he can get it. I noticed the boxes this year to check off of for unrestricted, sport, employment, etc.

Also, remember the civil offense for an expired LTC is $100 - $5000, but carry outside of restrictions is $1000 - $10,000. See Mass General Law Chapter 140 Section 131(m).

You will likely need to hire an attorney if you carry on an expired LTC, but will prevail - probably before trial.

An expired LTC is not valid if revoked for any reason other than failure to file a change of address; if you have applied for a renewal or new LTC and been denied; or if you have become statutorily ineligible.

What about the calculus of one vs the other? Is carrying against restrictions even arrestable? (nobody's ever been able to verify this). I've also never heard of someone even getting fined for this, either. (not that it can't happen, just seems improbable, because getting your LTC canned is worse than that anyways. )

-Mike

Mike,

I can confirm:

- NOT arrestable.
- Courts will not hear civil fine cases period! I've been told this by POs from Cape Cod to Lee, MA to the North Shore, so I think that you can take this to the bank.

I had my interview today. Really nice guy interviewing me. He confirmed and gave me a paper confirming that after 2020-2022 depending on your birthday, you only have to come in once every 6 years. So for instance if you bday is Jan- April your next interview would be in 2020, May-August 2021, and Sept -Dec 2022. You're following interview would be 6 years from that. Moving in a better direction, and hopefully I'll get unrestricted this year!

I had my interview in July and received an unrestricted in August. I did not receive any such paper or letter in regards to the interviews.

Any chance you could post it (of its not personal in nature)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was a stack of them, maybe this is very very new?? I'll post it when I get home (if I find the time!)

Found some time, here it is.

20160928_172408.jpg

Sorry it's sideways, sent from phone.

Last edited:
Thank you for posting! That is certainly welcome news, and an improvement to the system.

I assume the personal interview was the major hurdle creating a backlog. Here's hoping this creates more of a reasonable waiting time!

Thank you for posting! That is certainly welcome news, and an improvement to the system.

I assume the personal interview was the major hurdle creating a backlog. Here's hoping this creates more of a reasonable waiting time!

Lowers their annual costs per LTC but still brings in the $100/yr Government at it's finest.

84a9183b84197378af5adfba21e10bba.jpg

I rotated the pic for you. Hope you don't mind. That's awesome news for those of us trying to get out of MA.

It'll be a quasi victory as they will still be processing all those applicants annually, only the annual in-person interview is waived and done every 6 years. Net result is more people will apply that refused to due to the travel burden every year.

Let's hope the paperwork processing speeds up for NRs.

Glad to hear that this is real. After this renewal, I won't have foreseeable need for a personal day again until 2022.

MA LTC Slowness for non-residents

Applied on 03/31/2016.

Got email with appointment date within a few weeks.

Interviewed and fingerprinted on 08/09/2016.

As of today 09/29/2016, I'm still awaiting my LTC.

This was a renewal of an unrestricted LTC. Not sure why the long holdup but it's never taken this long before. I was told during the interview that they have had an uptick of applicants that has caused a backup but that it should go right through now, since there were no changes and it was a renewal. My LTC expired the end of June so this is frustrating. It's bad enough that they make you drive to Chelsea and pay $100 every year but to have such ludicrously long delays and no grace period is ridiculous. Hopefully, the new one expires a year from when I receive it and not a year from when my previous LTC expired because I've been without it for 3 mo. already.

Feb 23 is the day that I got the email with my appointment. I mailed my stuff in probably two days before that, Priority mail.

Applied on 03/31/2016.

Got email with appointment date within a few weeks.

Interviewed and fingerprinted on 08/09/2016.

As of today 09/29/2016, I'm still awaiting my LTC.

This was a renewal of an unrestricted LTC. Not sure why the long holdup but it's never taken this long before. I was told during the interview that they have had an uptick of applicants that has caused a backup but that it should go right through now, since there were no changes and it was a renewal. My LTC expired the end of June so this is frustrating. It's bad enough that they make you drive to Chelsea and pay $100 every year but to have such ludicrously long delays and no grace period is ridiculous. Hopefully, the new one expires a year from when I receive it and not a year from when my previous LTC expired because I've been without it for 3 mo. already.

Last year I had to send an email because it was probably 6 weeks since I had my interview and nothing got sent. They 'resent' it after I sent the email and I came quickly after that. I'd send an email to the guy that schedules the interviews. If you got the guy I had this year, he gave me his card so I'd just email him.

I am super surprised they are actually willing to streamline the process.

Dont get me wrong. I'm happy...just really surprised.

Speaking of which, IIRC I expire in December. Time to renew!

There was a stack of them, maybe this is very very new?? I'll post it when I get home (if I find the time!)

Found some time, here it is.

View attachment 178307

Sorry it's sideways, sent from phone.

This is huge. Now a non-resident permit is a practical consideration for people who don't have time to do an interview every year.

I am super surprised they are actually willing to streamline the process.

Dont get me wrong. I'm happy...just really surprised.

Speaking of which, IIRC I expire in December. Time to renew!

IMHO this is because people grew a pair and started getting these licenses and hammering on the renewals every year instead of being limpwrists about it. So basically gun owners caused this by creating an administrative nightmare for them to deal with. This was the only smart way for them to deal with that without the law actually changing. It should have been that way from day one.

-Mike

IMHO this is because people grew a pair and started getting these licenses and hammering on the renewals every year instead of being limpwrists about it. So basically gun owners caused this by creating an administrative nightmare for them to deal with. This was the only smart way for them to deal with that without the law actually changing. It should have been that way from day one.

-Mike

This is an improvement but the license itself should be valid for 5 years like the LTC for residents. What other state makes you renew every year at $100?

This is an improvement but the license itself should be valid for 5 years like the LTC for residents. What other state makes you renew every year at $100?

I don't dispute that the $100/yr thing blows, whatsoever. That's gonna require a law change, though... more than just administrative fiat.

-Mike

My license expires in early 2017. So if I sent in my renewal application on Jan 1, what are the odds of receiving a replacement prior to expiration?
I would wager 0% and the ~6month wait is still in effect.

My license expires in early 2017. So if I sent in my renewal application on Jan 1, what are the odds of receiving a replacement prior to expiration?

Mine expires end of November, I sent the renewal this week. My Interview end of February. Probably 4-8 week wait after the interview. Send the renewal 6 months ahead of time or you will be sorry!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It might happen sooner now that they're not requiring interviews for renewals anymore.

Back
Top Bottom