• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Non-Resident, AG Office & need

Hi All,

I just a conversation with a woman at BCI (Bureau of Criminal Id).

I asked her about the 'Proper showing of need' and when I asked about protection of life & property she laughed and said "If protection of life & property were a valid need, then everybody would need one". Yeah, duh?

Also, since when does the Unit Chief & Deputy Chief of the BCI get the authority to deny a permit.

I also love that their actual policy states the following:
If an individual is able to demonstrate a proper showing of need, the Attorney General then has discretion to issue or deny a pistol permit. The Providence Journal Company v. Pine, No. C.A. 96-6274, (R.I. Super. Ct., June 24, 1998). No one in the State has a right to obtain a pistol permit. A pistol permit is a privilege left to the sound discretion of the Attorney General.​

I live close to RI and travel though quite often. I just can't stop for any reason. This is insane!

Lastly, can someone define: sound discretion?

I wish I had the money for a lawsuit!!

David

Last edited:
Hi All,

I asked her about the 'Proper showing of need' and when I asked about protection of life & property she laughed and said "If protection of life & property were a valid need, then everybody would need one". Yeah, duh?

Being the perverse bastard that I am, I would have replied, "Well, seeing as protection of life is the only valid reason for legally using lethal force, and it's not good enough, just what might constitute a valid reason?"

Ken

Hi All,

Also, since when does the Unit Chief & Deputy Chief of the BCI get the authority to deny a permit.

I also love that their actual policy states the following:
If an individual is able to demonstrate a proper showing of need, the Attorney General then has discretion to issue or deny a pistol permit. The Providence Journal Company v. Pine, No. C.A. 96-6274, (R.I. Super. Ct., June 24, 1998). No one in the State has a right to obtain a pistol permit. A pistol permit is a privilege left to the sound discretion of the Attorney General.​

I live close to RI and travel though quite often. I just can't stop for any reason. This is insane!

Lastly, can someone define: sound discretion?

I wish I had the money for a lawsuit!!

David

That is very odd. I looked up projo v. pine and the cites I can find, can't find the actual case, appears to suggest the ruling does not say that. It was an open records case and all they said was that regardless of it's specific status as a "privilege, grant, vested right, or entitlement", it could not be considered a benefit since drivers licenses are not considered a benefit and they are easier to get than ccw licenses. I would love to see this ruling.

There, the public body involved contended that a gun permit was a “benefit” under § 38-2-2(4)(i), and therefore, the records on file pertaining to those permits were not public record. Id. at *17-22. In Pine,
the Court clarified that whether the permit or license was adjudicated a privilege, grant, vested right, or entitlement did not automatically classify it as a “benefit” under the APRA. Id. In that case, the Court highlighted the fact that not even a driver’s license could be considered a “benefit” under the APRA, as the information given in that application is routinely made public. Id. at *20-21. The Court held that because the entitlement of a driver’s license is often given more protection than a gun permit and yet
is not a “benefit” under the APRA, then a gun permit could not rise to the level of a “benefit.”
Providence Journal Co. v. Pine, No. C.A. 96-6274, 1998 WL 356904, at *1 (R.I. Super. June 24,
1998)

Politically connected.

I know a fellow who has a RI non-resident. He sells audio equipment to nightclubs. He visits them at night, often gets paid in cash, and in the past was beaten badly enough to have been hospitalized.

I don't think he is politically connected.

Please don't think that I'm in any way defending the RI AG -- I think CCW permits should be shall-issue.

Back
Top Bottom