• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Non Res MA LTC ?

MJM

discussion with a friend recently. i recently received my "Mass Non-Resident Class A Large Capacity Temporary License". i was under the assumption based on what i have read and what the license explicitly states that i can carry any capacity magazine and i am not limited to the 10 round magazine. His position is that despite what the license says i can only carry with pre AWB high cap or limited to a 10 round magazine. Any clarification on this?? thanks

...His position is that despite what the license says i can only carry with pre AWB high cap or limited to a 10 round magazine.

He's right. Possession of a post-ban large capacity magazine is a felony.

got it. thanks for the clarification. time for this NH boy to get some 10 rd mags [sad]

got it. thanks for the clarification. time for this NH boy to get some 10 rd mags [sad]

Either that or get a gun like a Glock, Sig, Beretta, or some others that can take preban mags, get prebans and stop worrying when driving over the border.

-Mike

thanks for the info gentlemen. i did find this:

Chapter 140, Section 131FA
(v) temporary license issued under this section shall be marked “Temporary License to Carry Firearms”, shall clearly indicate whether it is Class A or Class B and shall not be used to purchase firearms in the commonwealth as provided under section 131E. Neither a large capacity firearm nor large capacity feeding device therefor may be carried unless such person has been issued a Class A license; provided, however, that the colonel may permit a Class A or Class B licensee to possess large capacity rifles or shotguns or both, and such entitlement shall be clearly indicated on such license.

if i am reading this correctly this pertains to long guns and not pistols???? there is no mention of pistols. can someone point me to the specific law regarding pistols and "Non-Res Class A high capacity LTC" for this only specifies large cap rifles and shotguns.

Last edited:
thanks for the info gentlemen. i did find this:

Chapter 140, Section 131FA
(v) temporary license issued under this section shall be marked “Temporary License to Carry Firearms”, shall clearly indicate whether it is Class A or Class B and shall not be used to purchase firearms in the commonwealth as provided under section 131E. Neither a large capacity firearm nor large capacity feeding device therefor may be carried unless such person has been issued a Class A license; provided, however, that the colonel may permit a Class A or Class B licensee to possess large capacity rifles or shotguns or both, and such entitlement shall be clearly indicated on such license.

if i am reading this correctly this pertains to long guns and not pistols???? there is no mention of pistols. can someone point me to the specific law regarding pistols and "Non-Res Class A high capacity LTC" for this only specifies large cap rifles and shotguns.

Not sure what you are asking. If you have a class A nonres LTC you can carry/use/possess anything a resident with the same class license can carry. I'm not sure what that weird distinction is printed in the law there, but the on the ground reality is it's meaningless.

-Mike

You need to read the MGL definitions of terms which, for most sections of law, defines a "firearm" as a handgun. Only in MA would a rifle or shotgun not be a firearm (for the purposes of most sections of MGL, which is why you see reference to firearms, rifles and shotguns as three separate items)

It means you can possess and carry pre-ban high capacity magazines.

More precisely, it means you can carry "large capacity firearms", "large capacity weapons" and "magazines therefor".

Ch. 140, sec. 131(a) (partial): "A Class A license shall entitle a holder thereof to purchase, rent, lease, borrow, possess and carry: (i) firearms, including large capacity firearms, and feeding devices and ammunition therefor, for all lawful purposes, subject to such restrictions relative to the possession, use or carrying of firearms as the licensing authority deems proper; and (ii) rifles and shotguns, including large capacity weapons, and feeding devices and ammunition therefor, for all lawful purposes; provided, however, that the licensing authority may impose such restrictions relative to the possession, use or carrying of large capacity rifles and shotguns as it deems proper."

Note that in the statutory provision quote, "firearm" means what we would consider "handgun." Ch. 140, sec. 121.

If you do not mind me asking ? What reason did you give to carry a firearm in MA.

Back
Top Bottom