Non-Res MA LTC after moving to NH

RumRunner

NES Member
So looks like my move to NH may be moving forward. Got an assessment of my house here in MA, and numbers look good enough for me to start looking in NH. Started thinking about needing a non-res MA LTC as I will still be spending time in MA and most likely living pretty close to the border. I currently have an unrestricted LTC that I've had for 30 years. Anyone have advice on how to handle the transition? It probably won't be right away, but hoping by the fall to be making the move.

Is there any grace period of when my current LTC will be no good? I'm sure it will take a bit to get things like drivers license, truck reg, etc transferred over. Wasn't sure about LTC, and exactly when I need to let them know I have moved.

I've lived in the same place for many years, so this will all be new to me. Thanks for any info.

MA does not restrict Non Res LTC's,

You can't apply until you get a NH P&R Permit as you need to send a copy in with your application.

You WILL have a NH P&R permit within days of applying.

IMHO IANAL, you notify the MA licensing authority when you close on the house in MA

There is no "grace" period that I am aware of, most people assume their license is not valid once they make the notification that they have moved and the new residential location is out of state.

As soon as you pass papers in NH go register to vote, that will establish residence and make getting your DL, vehicle registrations, etc easier.

And getting a non-res LTC from MA is a PITA. Several threads here but must be renewed eery year, in person ion Cherlsea, and I think $100 per annum.

And getting a non-res LTC from MA is a PITA. Several threads here but must be renewed eery year, in person ion Cherlsea, and I think $100 per annum.

Yeah I read through some of the other threads, most were older. I saw it was every year. Really just curious on how others have done and how long it took and what the timing needed to be as far as when to start the process.

Like Appraiser said, get your NH papers in order. Got my license within days of moving so I could apply for a p&r in my town. That took one day lol 😂 I still have not submitted my non res for mass but the process is straightforward. Download the form and mail it in. No idea how long or how difficult it is to actually get it.

A fair amount of bad info here!

MA certainly DOES restrict NR LTCs unless you have "good reasons". I know NRA instructors who had MA Resident LTCs for many years (unrestricted) and another NR firearms instructor who were restricted and that is relatively recent info.

Assuming you can get into a NH DMV and have proper paperwork (the state website lists everything needed), it took us 2 hrs of waiting our turn and 10-15 minutes for both of us to get our NH DLs. NH P/Rs took me 1 week and my Wife's took 1 day. You'll need your NH DL to register to vote (I suppose other paperwork might work, didn't try).

MA requires that you notify within 30 days of moving by Certified Mail ONLY, FRB and issuing authority. NR LTC - you mail in the application and check and wait for them to assign you a date to show up in Chelsea for your inquisition. It seems to take 3-4 months (pre-COVID) to get and is only good for 1 year from date of issue (not birthday for NRs). Only requires one interview every 6 years but you MUST justify your unique need each year to maybe get unrestricted.

There is NO grace period on NR LTCs nor do those of us >70 yo get a free renewal, it's $100/yr for everyone and a long wait every year. Wisdom seems to be to file for renewal 6 months from issuance each year and you might not have a "gap" where you'd be illegal in MA.

Yeah I read through some of the other threads, most were older. I saw it was every year. Really just curious on how others have done and how long it took and what the timing needed to be as far as when to start the process.

If you care about MA bullshit then you will want to get the process going ASAP because they will set up the interview like, months from now. At least when you renew it can all be done by
mail now, but you will have to go to Chelsea for the first one.

Also keep your old LTC in your wallet. Even after you rat yourself out to EOPS the old expired one is good for some level of immunity at least if you inadvertently stray over the line or otherwise ride dirty. (you can't get prosecuted for unlawful possession as long as your LTC only expired of natural causes, becomes some kind of civil crime instead. )

Also keep your old LTC in your wallet. Even after you rat yourself out to EOPS the old expired one is good for some level of immunity at least if you inadvertently stray over the line or otherwise ride dirty. (you can't get prosecuted for unlawful possession as long as your LTC only expired of natural causes, becomes some kind of civil crime instead. )
Basically true. But I testified in a case where they did charge someone criminally due to an expired FID (gun was SKS), so they aren't supposed to do that, but ADAs get away with murder unless you have a good firearms attorney (he used a public defender who didn't know what a gun was) or hire an expert witness to refute the bogus charges.

If you care about MA bullshit then you will want to get the process going ASAP because they will set up the interview like, months from now. At least when you renew it can all be done by
mail now, but you will have to go to Chelsea for the first one.

This protection also extends to LTCs revoked solely for failure to file a change of address.
There is no "grace" period that I am aware of, most people assume their license is not valid once they make the notification that they have moved and the new residential location is out of state.
An NES declaration that is only supported using proof by assertion - as in "I know", "Someone official told me", "I'd like to see you be the test case", etc..... But never proven by a cite to a statute or case law.

...most people assume their license is not valid once they make the notification that they have moved and the new residential location is out of state.

When I moved out of MA to a free state, I notified everyone by mail as required by law. It's been over three years, and when I check it online I can clearly see that my MA LTC is STILL VALID.

A fair amount of bad info here!

MA certainly DOES restrict NR LTCs unless you have "good reasons". I know NRA instructors who had MA Resident LTCs for many years (unrestricted) and another NR firearms instructor who were restricted and that is relatively recent info.

Assuming you can get into a NH DMV and have proper paperwork (the state website lists everything needed), it took us 2 hrs of waiting our turn and 10-15 minutes for both of us to get our NH DLs. NH P/Rs took me 1 week and my Wife's took 1 day. You'll need your NH DL to register to vote (I suppose other paperwork might work, didn't try).

MA requires that you notify within 30 days of moving by Certified Mail ONLY, FRB and issuing authority. NR LTC - you mail in the application and check and wait for them to assign you a date to show up in Chelsea for your inquisition. It seems to take 3-4 months (pre-COVID) to get and is only good for 1 year from date of issue (not birthday for NRs). Only requires one interview every 6 years but you MUST justify your unique need each year to maybe get unrestricted.

There is NO grace period on NR LTCs nor do those of us >70 yo get a free renewal, it's $100/yr for everyone and a long wait every year. Wisdom seems to be to file for renewal 6 months from issuance each year and you might not have a "gap" where you'd be illegal in MA.

Geesh, that sounds an awful lot like a pain in the ballz!

The in-person appearance is no longer required every year which makes it a bit easier. Initial application requires an appearance then it’s every 4 years or so after that. You can mail it in in between.

Sounds like plenty of good reasons to get the F out of MA and stay out. We venture in only for the occasional Sox game and to grab a sub from Bob’s in Medford.

You can't apply until you get a NH P&R Permit as you need to send a copy in with your application.
I live in NH and I applied for a MA non-resident LTC without a NH P&R permit. It was not an issue. Maybe this is a recent change?

The in-person appearance is no longer required every year which makes it a bit easier. Initial application requires an appearance then it’s every 4 years or so after that. You can mail it in in between.
My application was going to require an interview, but owing to COVID they scrapped it. I had in-person fingerprinting and that was it.

If i have a business in ma. Does that qualify me for a resident ltc?

There was, at one point, a way for local licensing authorities to issue permits to business owners without going thru the non resident permit process.

Are you in a "green " town?

If you are in a Lowell, Medford, Boston or other municipality that either B Rams or restricts to T&H you can forget even writing a letter to the C.O.P. asking if they would consider it.

How much $$ have you donated to the local "relief association" or other Police union slush fund ?

It can be done, but if you live elsewhere in MA the PD is likely to refuse. MGL allows for it, but chief's discretion may work against you.

I live in NH and I applied for a MA non-resident LTC without a NH P&R permit. It was not an issue. Maybe this is a recent change?

My application was going to require an interview, but owing to COVID they scrapped it. I had in-person fingerprinting and that was it.
I should rephrase; you can apply but your application be rejected without a copy of your P&R license

It is listed as requirement #2 on the MA non-resident LTC application.

maybe someone in Chelsea got lazy?

Similar situation as the OP. Considering to move to NH, but would still have to come to MA *a lot*. So looking at the options... I have a MA LTC unrestricted in the town I lived in for 15 years. Also have a NH NR P&R.

I still will have property in MA (second home) but I will not reside there for tax purposes (need to talk to a tax person about that) - does that make a difference? It is in a green town.

Does anyone have practical experience with the business option? If so, what kind of businesses - does renting out a home count?

Any sharing of experience appreciated.

I confirmed first hand with a local PD in a green town that has many part-time residents, that they indeed will issue a resident LTC to a part time resident who owns property in said town / let you keep your LTC if you move your primary residence out of state but keep the property in said town.

So if you have that option, it is worthwhile to call your local licensing officer.

Bumping this thread to avoid starting another one with a similar question.

I currently live in Haverhill. In the near future I plan to move to NH and rent my house in Haverhill.

Does owning the property in Haverhill, Ma despite not living in it, while living in NH change my situation in terms of being legally licensed in MA?

You will not be able to renew in MA.

There are those who will explain your LTC "Self terminates" when you move but they have thus far been unable to cite a case or law, but instead offer such learned opinions as "I know it to be true", "Someone official told me", or the ever present non-sequitor "ok, I'd like to see you be the test case". But, you are required to file the change of address. This may, or may not, get your MA ltc terminated. If you do not, revocation for failure to file a change of address does not void the protections afforded by an expired license (provided you have not been denied a renewal since expiration or become a MA PP).

Bumping this thread to avoid starting another one with a similar question.

I currently live in Haverhill. In the near future I plan to move to NH and rent my house in Haverhill.

Does owning the property in Haverhill, Ma despite not living in it, while living in NH change my situation in terms of being legally licensed in MA?

Did you read Post #10, just above?

Back
Top Bottom