Non-pistol purchase: with bad eyesight need advice

I am sure I am not the only one, but we're in the same boat together, i.e. one pair of glasses for working while at the computer and another pair specific for distance and/or driving. I am near-sighted with Astigmatism.

When it comes to hitting the range I wear the distance pair and make the best of it, though at some point I would like to get a third pair specific for shooting.
Goe see Dr. Ginsberg At Natick Eye Assiciates. Get it done.

What is 7.62 Russian?
7.62x54r rimmed/russian a somewhat inexpensive rifle caliber , yet 308 steel cased is about the same money, any ammo is tough to find right now in the popular rifle cals, heck your probably better off buying some straitwall offerings like 45/70
Or 222 rem or 25-06 i see those in stock here and there

7.62x54r rimmed/russian a somewhat inexpensive rifle caliber , yet 308 steel cased is about the same money, any ammo is tough to find right now in the popular rifle cals, heck your probably better off buying some straitwall offerings like 45/70
Or 222 rem or 25-06 i see those in stock here and there
7.62 Russian is a poor descriptor.
7.62x54R (R=Rimmed) is fine, I've got some.

I am sure I am not the only one, but we're in the same boat together, i.e. one pair of glasses for working while at the computer and another pair specific for distance and/or driving. I am near-sighted with Astigmatism.

When it comes to hitting the range I wear the distance pair and make the best of it, though at some point I would like to get a third pair specific for shooting.
It was a game changer, I was blaming my increasing group size on just getting older, but a big part was what I didn't even realize, the target AND sights just weren't clear enough. Age is still a factor but I'll take what I can get. I still practice with my regular glasses, I doubt an assailant will stop and let me change, but I can work on skills and reaction AND see.

Sorry for the confusion...7.62 x 39. As I'm sure you're well aware, that rifle, and I'm guessing no new commercial over the counter rifles are available in 7.62x 54 (R).

I believe the SV-98 and SVD Dargunov are still being made, but I don't believe either is imported into the United States.

7.62 Russian is a poor descriptor.
7.62x54R (R=Rimmed) is fine, I've got some.
I agree it’s a bit vague but if you tell me 762 Russian I’m gonna think 54R versus 762x25 762 2 x 39 and whatever else Russian based 762 mm cartridges might be out there it’s all fun

Sorry for the confusion...7.62 x 39. As I'm sure you're well aware, that rifle, and I'm guessing no new commercial over the counter rifles are available in 7.62x 54 (R).
Yeah your not likely to See a 54 are chambered rifle on the shelf of your local gun store. Although I’m sure companies like sako, tilka, bakail maybe CZ Offer it as it’s quite popular in Europe and other parts of the world just not here. As here in the US we are how do I say it trained to think that the 54 I should be dirt cheap and inexpensive plus there’s so many other cartridges that are probably better

This is also an effective solution for target shooting: EyePal | Get back on the Range with EyePal

I wear contact lenses for distance vision and then just use various magnifcations of cheap reading glasses for close vision. I switch magnifications based on how near or far I need to have near vision. One pair for computer work another pair for pistol.

I have bifocal lenses with strong distance prescription. Had the worst problem focusing on the sights until I learned to lift my head and look down my nose through the bottom of the lens. It went from fuzzy to perfect and my grouping improved dramatically. I’m sure it looks stupid but it was a big improvement and I don’t need a special set of glasses just for shooting.

I believe the SV-98 and SVD Dargunov are still being made, but I don't believe either is imported into the United States.
I stand corrected. I guess I am little disappointed in myself that I didn't think to recommend the new guy buy an unobtainable rifle, that may very well be subject to a confiscation order in the near future, and be certain it was chambered in an obscure caliber.

Lazers are great for short distances, even 100+ yards when it's dim or dark. Green is better for brighter conditions. None are great in the strongest sunlight but indoors or anything less they are easy to spot.

Of course a 2.5x optic or so, calibrated to your vision, with the right prescription involved, is excellent for out to 100 yards (or more for man minute shooting).

20201123_134114.jpg

I have bifocal lenses with strong distance prescription. Had the worst problem focusing on the sights until I learned to lift my head and look down my nose through the bottom of the lens. It went from fuzzy to perfect and my grouping improved dramatically. I’m sure it looks stupid but it was a big improvement and I don’t need a special set of glasses just for shooting.
I cant see doing that for a 80-160 round match, my neck already hurts from your description

I’ve “cured” several problem shooters by identifying which eye is dominant and having them use it. Lots of people are cross-dominant.

My cousin couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with a rifle using iron sights. The first time I handed him a gun with a red dot sight he was suddenly a decent shot. That is when I realized he is cross eye dominant. Recently I was showing my dad my guns and I saw him holding the gun in his left hand and lining up the sights with his right eye. He said he was always a lousy shot and now we know why. He said he will just force himself to shoot right handed.

I am cross eye dominant, with a very lopsided prescription. My left eye is mildly nearsighted (to the point where I am okay doing day to day tasks without glasses, but absolutely need them to see signs driving or back in college to see the board). My right is significantly more nearsighted. I haven’t gotten to the point where I need reading glasses on top of that . A red dot helped me significantly with keeping a small grouping with a rifle. However I have to totally ignore my left eye shooting, even with glasses on.

You can try all kinds of fancy stuff, but a peep/aperture sight like an AR has, added to just about any rifle will help you greatly.

With an aperture sight, you dont' need to "line up" 2 items. You just look through the aperture and put the front sight on the target. Much easier.
There are aftermarket aperture sights for just about any long gun

You can try all kinds of fancy stuff, but a peep/aperture sight like an AR has, added to just about any rifle will help you greatly.

With an aperture sight, you dont' need to "line up" 2 items. You just look through the aperture and put the front sight on the target. Much easier.
There are aftermarket aperture sights for just about any long gun
Also use a blinder on non aiming eye.84351305-5E04-4728-B932-3C85ADFA152E.pngif your just target shooting this can help also shy of getting corrective Rx just for shooting. I found the iris tough to get into position for anything but pistol shooting.

Attachments

• 817349A0-2B36-4223-B9D3-E4AA042357AD.png
    817349A0-2B36-4223-B9D3-E4AA042357AD.png
    154.9 KB · Views: 0
Back
Top Bottom