non-NY resident and a few questions

I am a CT resident with a pistol permit, and know I can bring a rifle into NY to shoot as long as it's unloaded in a locked container separated from a locked ammo container. What about a handgun though? My assumption now is that it is out of the question for simply going to the range (there are exceptions like if it were a competition in NY and I was a registered competitor). Is this actually the case?

basically just want confirmation of what I assume is the law.

The only provision for a non-resident who is not special (LEO, diplomatic passport w/immunity, etc.) is NY penal code 265.20-13(b) that allows unloaded carry in a case for an NRA or IHMSA recognized competition, with a time limit of +/- 48 hours surrounding the competition. You are correct in your understanding that it does not cover simply going to the range.

With new gun laws, has this changed the ability of a non-resisdent to bring in a compliant long gun into the state? Maybe a dumb question, just looking for confirmation. I want to bring a Mosin into NY to go shooting for the weekend and just want to make sure I'm legal to do so.

Back
Top Bottom