• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Non-NFA Mossberg 500 Cruiser - Mass OK?

If sbs's are on the nfa list because they are so devastating,

how come the consensus here is use a pistol for home defence?

the ATF seems to think a sbs is too Killy for an average person to defend themselves with.

But any pistol under 50ozs is ok,must be deemed not as effective by them?
That ain't the BATFE, that's Congress circa 1934 baby!

If sbs's are on the nfa list because they are so devastating,

how come the consensus here is use a pistol for home defence?

the ATF seems to think a sbs is too Killy for an average person to defend themselves with.

But any pistol under 50ozs is ok,must be deemed not as effective by them?

Find and read the NFA(National Firearms Act) of 1934

Congress imposed a $200 tax on the making and or transfer of short barreled rifles, short barreled shotguns, machine guns and silencers/suppressors.

The BATFE which used to be the Department of the Treasury is the collection and enforcement arm of the law.

Being just an average joe ,living in ma.
I know only no under 18" barrels ect.

I don't mess with nfa things, that the peons aren't allowed to have.

I was just thinking ,that a sbs must be more powerful ,
than any pistol,because they are special listed.

Last edited:

Actually, no, you can have certain SBS' in MA. I believe they have to leave the factory as a short-barreled shotgun though. I've had my eye on a 13.5" 870 Marine Magnum with ghost rings for a while now, comes in the factory box with paperwork and the sticker on the side saying it's a factory SBS.

Peons can have them if their chief will issue the license. Peons can possess machine guns and short barreled rifles. Suppressors and SBS only with 07 or 10 SOT FFL.

Actually, no, you can have certain SBS' in MA. I believe they have to leave the factory as a short-barreled shotgun though. I've had my eye on a 13.5" 870 Marine Magnum with ghost rings for a while now, comes in the factory box with paperwork and the sticker on the side saying it's a factory SBS.

Please post when you have it in hand.

This thing should come with a black leather full-length duster.
It's made for huntin vampires or holding up liquor stores...

RG500.11a1-250x187.jpg
van-helsing-duster.jpg

I was just thinking ,that a sbs must be more powerful ,
than any pistol,because they are special listed.

I've read on other threads, that all handguns were originally going to be NFA, but they couldn't quite pull it off politically(thank God). So originally, any concealable weapon (SBS, SBR, AOW, and handguns) would have been NFA. Because handguns ended up getting exempted (rifled barrels, no stocks, less than .50 caliber) the rest of the NFA (as it applies to concealable weapons) ends up looking pretty silly.

I've read on other threads, that all handguns were originally going to be NFA, but they couldn't quite pull it off politically(thank God). So originally, any concealable weapon (SBS, SBR, AOW, and handguns) would have been NFA. Because handguns ended up getting exempted (rifled barrels, no stocks, less than .50 caliber) the rest of the NFA (as it applies to concealable weapons) ends up looking pretty silly.

The power to tax is the power to destroy, and congress has been destroying things and people for centuries.

This appears to be grouped in with pistols that shoot .410 such as the judge.

I thought the Judge had a rifled barrel? If something in 45 colt has an extra long chamber (so it can fire .410 shotshells) and it has a rifled barrel, I think the only state they are banned in is California, since they specifically ban firearms by the *cartridge* that they fire rather than by whether they have a rifled barrel or not (Federal and most state laws).

This is an interesting thread that I somehow missed during it's original run. There definitely seems to be some gray area surrounding the wording in the law that would in fact allow for this as long as a: the shotgun came from the factory as a pistol grip configuration, AND b: that it still maintains the overall 26.5" length. If that's the case then legally it shouldn't matter if the barrel were switched for that 14" one, but I do see that it wouldn't be advisable to cut your existing one as then it could put you into NFA territory. Am I missing something here?

This is an interesting thread that I somehow missed during it's original run. There definitely seems to be some gray area surrounding the wording in the law that would in fact allow for this as long as a: the shotgun came from the factory as a pistol grip configuration, AND b: that it still maintains the overall 26.5" length. If that's the case then legally it shouldn't matter if the barrel were switched for that 14" one, but I do see that it wouldn't be advisable to cut your existing one as then it could put you into NFA territory. Am I missing something here?

If you are in Mass, you can't have any shotgun that has barrel length less than 18" without an FFL. The MA definition is a little different from the fed one, in that you have to be *both* over 26" in length *and* over 18" inch barrel. All this from earlier in the thread. If you are not in MA -- have fun! :D

If you are in Mass, you can't have any shotgun that has barrel length less than 18" without an FFL. The MA definition is a little different from the fed one, in that you have to be *both* over 26" in length *and* over 18" inch barrel. All this from earlier in the thread. If you are not in MA -- have fun! :D

You are wrong. Factory SBS, DD and AOW are perfectly legal in mass. An FFL is not required. technically, an LTC is all that is required for an AOW. But still need Cleo sign off.

SBS, overall length vs barrel length, grip vs stock....

as my 86yo mom would say..'you're picking flyshit out of the pepper!'

I'd love to get one of these in 20ga, from the factory. But I believe you'd have a hell of a time convincing a cop in this state that it's perfectly legal (not NFA)

You are wrong. Factory SBS, DD and AOW are perfectly legal in mass. An FFL is not required. technically, an LTC is all that is required for an AOW. But still need Cleo sign off.

Sean, can you tell me what "AOW" stands for? I've seen that referenced a couple of times in this thread now and have never heard that abbreviation before. I know what the other 2 are though.

Ah ok. So you can buy a factory sbs but not convert a PGO shotgun yourself? Meaning that you need a tax stamp and etc, which this thread was about avoiding.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Ah ok. So you can buy a factory sbs but not convert a PGO shotgun yourself? Meaning that you need a tax stamp and etc, which this thread was about avoiding.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

I believe this is correct. My understanding of Mass law is that ONLY factory configured SBS and AOW's are legal. And no alterations are allowed from that factory configuration. So, Mossberg AOW, ok if unaltered. Serbu AOW, NOT ok as it was not manufactured by the factory (moss/ mav/remgtn)..

Example, I have a factory Ithaca stakeout (reg AOW) with 14" bbl. But, I can not alter it in any way (send to Serbu to super shorty it). Even though federally, I could, legally, amend the form 4 to reflect a shorter BBL. Mass would consider this a sawed off shotgun.thus, verboten.

I believe this is correct. My understanding of Mass law is that ONLY factory configured SBS and AOW's are legal. And no alterations are allowed from that factory configuration. So, Mossberg AOW, ok if unaltered. Serbu AOW, NOT ok as it was not manufactured by the factory (moss/ mav/remgtn)..

Example, I have a factory Ithaca stakeout (reg AOW) with 14" bbl. But, I can not alter it in any way (send to Serbu to super shorty it). Even though federally, I could, legally, amend the form 4 to reflect a shorter BBL. Mass would consider this a sawed off shotgun.thus, verboten.

This is correct.
In mass factory only aow and sbs. No mods of any kind allowed, no diy, no form 1s.

In mass an aow is considered a smooth bore pistol. As it came from the factory as a pistol, it was never manufactured or registered as a shotgun. That is why Serbus are not allowed, as he uses rem and moss receivers.

I have a Ithaca stake out too.. Miserable sucker to shoot, but good for putting into the hands of people you don't like to watch the pain...

Last edited:
Factory 14" barrel model now available from Mossberg

802 Traders is selling for a Mossberg with the Shockwave grip and 14" barrel pre-installed. Mossberg no longer is willing to sell the conversion parts to the public.
After Mossberg stopped sales, Shockwave began to ship their "Raptor Lug", a $40 part for people willing to take a hacksaw to their barrel.

Update: Mossberg changed their mind; hiked the price by 30% and resumed selling 14" front ends (Part #92514) to the public.

2017 Update: Mossberg now sells this as a factory non-NFA firearm, the "[thread=326606]590 shockwave edition[/thread]". Does leaving the factory with the 14" barrel make this MA legal?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom