non mass compliant firearm

I did a search on the forum here and couldn't find a similar situation so here goes. A friend of mine moved to Massachusetts from the southwest about 10 years ago. He had a 9 mm Ruger but did not go through the proper channels to get it transferred here. He has never bothered to get an FID or LTC here nor has he even shot the firearm. It has just sat in a box in his house. He has offered to give it to me as I just recently got my LTC. I'd like to take it but I don't know how or if it is even possible at this point to take ownership. I have looked it up and it is not Mass compliant so that is another strike against it. I believe he bought it in about 2000 so it would not be pre-ban either. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I did a search on the forum here and couldn't find a similar situation so here goes. A friend of mine moved to Massachusetts from the southwest about 10 years ago. He had a 9 mm Ruger but did not go through the proper channels to get it transferred here. He has never bothered to get an FID or LTC here nor has he even shot the firearm. It has just sat in a box in his house. He has offered to give it to me as I just recently got my LTC. I'd like to take it but I don't know how or if it is even possible at this point to take ownership. I have looked it up and it is not Mass compliant so that is another strike against it. I believe he bought it in about 2000 so it would not be pre-ban either. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Most Rugers are on the EOPS Roster, he can send it to your FFL who can then transfer it to you.

Thanks. He lives in Massachusetts now though. And the gun is in Massachusetts. I forget the model number but I looked it up a while ago and it was not on the approved list. Am I out of luck?

Thanks again.

Thanks. He lives in Massachusetts now though. And the gun is in Massachusetts. I forget the model number but I looked it up a while ago and it was not on the approved list. Am I out of luck?

Thanks again.

If he actually had gotten his license he could have just FA-10ed it to you (without involving a dealer) but the only way he can transfer it to you legally now is through a dealer, which is likely going to be a pain in the ass depending on its status.

-Mike

Thanks Mike. He came from out in New Mexico where it sounds like there are no gun regulations at all. So I think he either didn't think to get his license or didn't care to jump through the hoops needed. He lived in a city at the time and I hear it is more difficult to get anything in urban areas(unless you are a theif, then you steal it).

If he actually had gotten his license he could have just FA-10ed it to you (without involving a dealer) but the only way he can transfer it to you legally now is through a dealer, which is likely going to be a pain in the ass depending on its status.

-Mike

Mike, if he legally owns it (even though he does not have an LTC), could he still transfer it via FA10? I know he can't legally leave his home with it (ie. carry) without a license, but he did presumably purchase it legally in his previous state of residence, so why can't he legally sell/transfer it? I know the laws are effed up here, but it seems there should be some loophole for someone who came from another state where no licensing was required.

Mike, if he legally owns it (even though he does not have an LTC), could he still transfer it via FA10? I know he can't legally leave his home with it (ie. carry) without a license, but he did presumably purchase it legally in his previous state of residence, so why can't he legally sell/transfer it? I know the laws are effed up here, but it seems there should be some loophole for someone who came from another state where no licensing was required.

In order to transfer on an FA10, you have to be able to legally own what you are selling. He is currently in illegal possesion of a handgun, so he can't legally sell it to an LTC holder.

In order to transfer on an FA10, you have to be able to legally own what you are selling. He is currently in illegal possesion of a handgun, so he can't legally sell it to an LTC holder.

would that also apply to a new resident who falls under the grace period for not having a ltc?
for example: some poor schmuck with a great firearm collection gets stuck living in the PRM. he decides the ltc hassle is not worth it and wants to sell his guns after being in the PRM for a week. is he not allowed to sell because he doesn't have a license, even though there is a grace period for new [STRIKE=]serfs[/STRIKE] residents?

Back
Top Bottom