• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Non marring holster

CAESAR

NES Member
Yes I am stupid but I want to carry my collectible gun.
Not interested in opinions about that fact!
Need advice on a holster that wont leave carry signes on the gun. Or maybe it doesnt exist

Gun make and model please...

Also, is it just to carry one place to another, or CCW???

I'm thinking genuine Kydex with a moleskin liner.

Need advice on a holster that wont leave carry signes on the gun. Or maybe it doesnt exist
Your kidding. Right?
Maybe a magnetic force shield kinda rig would work.
If it’s collectible then leave it home and get something you are willing to drop on the ground.

1st what type of gun???

If you want to carry and not mark up the gun I'd say a "Lined" Leather Holster...

After awhile though carrying daily or on a regular basis will most likely cause some wearing on the gun...

I love DeSantis Holsters...

If it's a 1911 they make a few really nice C&L Holsters, if you want a OWB they make some really nice High Ride Holsters...

Check out their Website (below):

DeSantis Holsters

no such animal! anything touching the gun is eventually going to put a wear mark on it. don't matter, all that flexing just in daily carry will show something over time. maybe not tomorrow or next week but it's gonna show up sometime.

no such animal! anything touching the gun is eventually going to put a wear mark on it. don't matter, all that flexing just in daily carry will show something over time. maybe not tomorrow or next week but it's gonna show up sometime.
This. I think leather is easier on guns but I prefer kydex for weight and don't care about holster wear. If I had a collectable I wouldn't carry it.

This.

What is the finish on the gun? How collectable is it?

These days I'm EDCing a 1944 Inglis, so I can relate. But it's a refinish, and that makes all the difference. I admit, I've got guns whose finish is nice enough that I don't think about carrying them.

Leather has never really done anything to my S&W stainless 1911 or my nitron sig p238. It has left a slight mark on my black-t SA compact 1911 tho.... Still love that finish but that is disappointing.

Full size 1911 by Jeffrey custom
P238 by Tucker gunleather
Compact 1911 by Milt sparks

Last edited:
I've gotten good service from a Wilson Combat Practical- leather, kydex, suede laminate, and Garrett Silent Thunder, leather, kydex, glove leather laminate. Both are well made. The Garrett is quite light, but not in a cheesy way.
While lined with soft stuff, either would undoubtedly eventually leave a rub, but then you already knew that.... both hide good, for me anyway, and the Wilson is fast as hell on the draw.
That being said currently it's a Rosen, the off the shelf one, stuffed full of lightweight Commander. Very comfortable to wear.

Leather would be the easiest on the finish... but even then it will eventually wear.

something like a remora holster is also easy in the finish

No such thing as a non-marring holster. Even if the material were as soft a a baby's bottom, lint and grit will fall into it from the air and eventually put marks on your carry pistol. You could try to protect the finish but even the finest, hardest wax (Renaissance micro-crystalline) will rub off from the constant movement of carrying throughout the day.

If your pistol is truly collectible because of limited edition or age, you should keep it safe and carry a modern one just like it. Also consider that if you use it in self-defense, you may not see it again for a very long time, if ever.

Garrett Industries makes kydex holsters lined with leather, keeps your finish and makes the draw quiet. Made in Texas.

Garrett.jpg

lol don't carry it, that simple. Carry guns are tools. Do you polish your hammers?

I'd have no qualms about carrying my $1700 1911 in Kydex. I don't because the gun is too heavy, lol. Any marks it leaves are character, not damage.

Leather is probably your best bet. I recommend Mitch Rosen. Just don't store your gun in the holster.

I store my guns in leather lined holsters, does that do something to the finish? I don't really care about the finish, just curious. I hate the sound of kydex that's why I like the leather lined Garretts, and when they have their 15% off sales the price is pretty reasonable.

lol don't carry it, that simple. Carry guns are tools. Do you polish your hammers?

I'd have no qualms about carrying my $1700 1911 in Kydex. I don't because the gun is too heavy, lol. Any marks it leaves are character, not damage.

Agree with this, guns shouldn't look brand new.

I store my guns in leather lined holsters, does that do something to the finish? I don't really care about the finish, just curious. I hate the sound of kydex that's why I like the leather lined Garretts, and when they have their 15% off sales the price is pretty reasonable.
When being stored if there's any moisture the leather holds it against the gun causing it to rust.

Another thing to think of...

If by any chance you have to use your collectible gun in self defense kiss that gun GOOD BY...
At worst it will be taken for who knows how long and forget about it be "stored" nicely...
By the time you get it back (If your lucky enough) it most likely is no longer going to be a collectible gun...
Plus the "Storage Fees", you will have to pay to get it back, and that's if you can get it back because the Storage House has to follow Maura's Rules and if you can't get that gun in MA the Storage House can't give it back to you...

So if you are thinking about carrying this Collectible Gun DON'T!!!

There is moisture in leather that can cause the gun to rust. It is less of a problem with newer guns, and really bad for anything blued.

What’s the point of owning a collectible gun if you don’t use it?
So someone else has it?
Carry what you want.

I think leather is safest, but I’ve got a bunch of guns that have only been in leather and the blue has worn off. But it wears mush slower than Kydex does.

There are holster makers who make leather holsters with a soft leather lining to reduce wear. It makes the holster a little thicker but would be worth it. Find a good holster maker with a good reputation. The pistol should fit in your holster like daddy into mommy to reduce wear. Then if you get one, treat it with Obenauf's leather oil. It's one of the best things to use on your holster. As said above, if you end up using your pistol for self defense, it will be confiscated... But at that point, your pistol will be the last thing you're thinking about.

So the guy admits its possibly dumb and he gets crapped on anyway.

This is how I look at it:

1) If you are worried about marring your new Gen5 Glock. You are an idiot. A big stupid idiot.

2) If you have a nice old Python/ Model 19 or similar blued revolver and would just like to carry it once in a while - then this is a very reasonable question.

Either way, I'd stick with leather. No kydex.

Ok, ready for it, in 3....2...1...[pics]

To the op.
I would at this point, lie my ass off and say it was an all original,extremely rare, dead head German Luger.
When they ask why I carry that pistol?
I would say it is because it is the only pistol that feels good in your hands and you can't find an appendix holster for it.[smile]
1540DH-DHPrf4W.jpg 1540DH-Lft8W.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom