Non-marking holster

+1 on Garrett - I have one it is sweet and the Garretts offer outstanding customer service

Garret industries. Kydex on the outside, leather on the inside. The silent thunder is for IBW. During the winter, I do with an OBW And wear longer shirts.

I like the looks of it. I just placed an order. I'm also ordering one from Tucker Gun leather, the DC-1, but it's got a 4 MONTH LEAD! Thanks everyone for the info.

Here is my P229 and the Wright’s Cobra IWB/OWB holster (take off the straps for OWB) after over 2 years of EDC:

IMG_2685.jpg IMG_2686.jpg

The purpose of a carry pistol is to protect my family in the event we cannot flee a lethal threat. Now why the F would I care if such a tool gets scuffed up in a holster. my two carry 92’s look thrashed and they’re straight sexy for it. My suggestion is to intentionally scratch the shit out of your carry pistol so this holster concern will cease to exist.

I don’t have advice to answer your specific question...Your guns gonna pick up more wear from dropping it or using it as a hammer. Holster wear is so minimal. I can’t find the photo. But I’ve got a pistol I’ve carried for 10 years.

It looks better than 95% of the guns on the used market.

Buy yourself a gun without emotional attachment.It’s always possible they’ll get lost, stolen, or run over by a pick up truck
Not to mention if he had to actually use it, it's gonna get tossed into an evidence locker without any protection from rust or scratches, and he may never get it back at all.

The purpose of a carry pistol is to protect my family in the event we cannot flee a lethal threat. Now why the F would I care if such a tool gets scuffed up in a holster. my two carry 92’s look thrashed and they’re straight sexy for it. My suggestion is to intentionally scratch the shit out of your carry pistol so this holster concern will cease to exist.
JFC it's not a concern, it was a want. I said, in my original post, I understand EDCs wear. I was just looking for something that wore LESS. It's not unreasonable to want a decent holster that doesn't scratch the crap out of a gun. I'm not going to NOT draw my gun in a situation because I'm afraid I'll scratch it. I'm not going to take even a crappy pistol and scratch it up so I'm not worried about scratching it up. Hell, I'm worried about dying, I'm not going to stab myself so I'll get over it.

JFC it's not a concern, it was a want. I said, in my original post, I understand EDCs wear. I was just looking for something that wore LESS. It's not unreasonable to want a decent holster that doesn't scratch the crap out of a gun. I'm not going to NOT draw my gun in a situation because I'm afraid I'll scratch it. I'm not going to take even a crappy pistol and scratch it up so I'm not worried about scratching it up. Hell, I'm worried about dying, I'm not going to stab myself so I'll get over it.

1604947376223.jpeg

no scratch!

I don't trust a lot of guns in a leather holster because leather is flexible. Just today I was trying out my new kydex holster and managed to flick the safety off without noticing - at least in a rigid holster the trigger won't be touched but in a leather rig ehh......

I don't trust a lot of guns in a leather holster because leather is flexible. Just today I was trying out my new kydex holster and managed to flick the safety off without noticing - at least in a rigid holster the trigger won't be touched but in a leather rig ehh......
I have both Kydex and leather (and a couple of hybrids) and a well made leather holster is just about as stiff and certainly as safe as Kydex. Now one of those cheap suede holster, I agree with you.

Less than what? Are there any holsters you are specifically referring to that scratch the shit out of guns? Because otherwise, nobody has any idea what you are looking for. Which is why you are getting flak.

I think that the poster is reacting to a lot of the stuff on the web from various people complaining about how this or that holster scratched or damaged the finish on their gun. That being said, I don’t think there is actually a lot to worry about. Get a holster from a reputable manufacturer. You don’t have to pay top dollar for a custom build, but don’t cheap out. Then, take care of your holster. I’ve know folks who meticulously clean their gun after every range session, but never do a thing to their holster. With any decent holster (Kydex, leather, hybrid) what will cause the most damage to your gun is if you let dirt and grim build up in it. You need to periodically clean and condition your holster (particularly true for leather), just like you clean your gun. If you take good care of both your gun and your holster, you'll minimize the inevitable wear.

I think that the poster is reacting to a lot of the stuff on the web from various people complaining about how this or that holster scratched or damaged the finish on their gun. That being said, I don’t think there is actually a lot to worry about. Get a holster from a reputable manufacturer. You don’t have to pay top dollar for a custom build, but don’t cheap out. Then, take care of your holster. I’ve know folks who meticulously clean their gun after every range session, but never do a thing to their holster. With any decent holster (Kydex, leather, hybrid) what will cause the most damage to your gun is if you let dirt and grim build up in it. You need to periodically clean and condition your holster (particularly true for leather), just like you clean your gun. If you take good care of both your gun and your holster, you'll minimize the inevitable wear.

It honestly never occurred to me to clean my holsters out really.

Less than what? Are there any holsters you are specifically referring to that scratch the shit out of guns? Because otherwise, nobody has any idea what you are looking for. Which is why you are getting flak.

I had a first generation Crossbreed holster that put a scratch all down the side of a Ruger P345 that I had. I have not had any problems other than that, though.

I tried a thin pad of moleskin in an old kydex holster and it seemed to create less audible friction when holstering and unholstering, but it was definitely something I’d have to practice with a lot before I got comfortable carry it daily because of the decreased space required more force to do so.

I honestly can’t say if it made a difference to the finish. I know there was a lot more lint on the gun, which was easily wiped off.

You would think that a softer material wouldn’t scratch up a harder material, but it can/will.

I’ve seen (caused) inconel to get all scratched up by lucite. (For some context, the inconel was there to provide wear resistance, and the lucite was there as a sacrificial wear surface)
oil seals wear into steel ,

I like a nice 1911, but with the modern, lighter, more reliable, higher capacity, choices we have today. It's hard to justify carry wise to me.
Holster wear is not something you can avoid, only reduce some with a quality holster.
Keep the pistol and holster clean as mentioned and that helps.

Weight and size are my two killers for a carry gun.
I want it light and as compact as it can be while still having a solid grip on the pistol.
Capacity is an issue after I am satisfied with the above.

Only one of my friends carries a 1911 because he shoots it so well. But he carries it everyday and worries not about the finish.
It's big and heavy and was a reasonably expensive pistol.
I sent him a S&W Shield in 45 ACP for summer carry. Told him to beat the snot out of it and enjoy it's lighter weight and decent round count.

Carry gun holster = gun comes easily out when you want it to, gun stays in holster when you want it to.
WGAF about marring a carry gun?

I actually went the other way, I bought a holster for my pre worn SW 36 , holster should be here friday.
The pistol was purchased from a retired LEO and body side of pistol has some issues.

Just get a Garrett, Kydex frame with leather lining the inside. There'a at least one other company offering leather kydex bonded holsters but I forget who.

I like how quiet it is, hate that kydex sliding sound.

Back
Top Bottom