Non Leathal Options i.e. Mace

I would like to get my girl mace because she is working second shift for the time being. I know it’s a restricted FID. My question is when she fills out the application at the police station, how long does it take for it to come in? What mace or pepper spray options are currently available in the state? I found the Kimber guardian on-line and it seemed like a good option.

Who sells them?

The security folks at her college told her to get a mini flashlight. They claimed if she was attacked and shined it in there eyes. They would flee because she say there faces. Cant fix stupid.

And NO its not the poodle girl, and a LTC is out of the question right now.

I would like to get my girl mace because she is working second shift for the time being. I know it’s a restricted FID. My question is when she fills out the application at the police station, how long does it take for it to come in? What mace or pepper spray options are currently available in the state? I found the Kimber guardian on-line and it seemed like a good option.

Who sells them?

The security folks at her college told her to get a mini flashlight. They claimed if she was attacked and shined it in there eyes. They would flee because she say there faces. Cant fix stupid.

you need permission to carry OC on a college campus.

All FID's are "shall issue;" a mere spray FID is $25 instead of $100 and does NOT require a safety training course, still less the "X number of letters, proof of residency, signed release(s), DNA sample, etc. She should have her FID/D fairly quickly.

Who sells them?

Gun shops sell pepper spray. Mail order is verboten in Republik of MA.

I carried OC once. I was foolish, and tested it (breaking its safety seal). It then went off in my pocket at the BEGINNING of a work day. The pain, of course, was significant. A change of slacks was not available. Guns are safer. [wink]

I just talked to her. She had another problem at work, and it is highly disturbing to me. The issues are mounting at this time and I worry about her.

What can I get her with out the FID restricted?

Processing a Restricted FID is likely to take as long as a LTC procedurally. That means, depending on the town, it could be a couple of weeks or a couple of months . . . or anything in between.

In this state, good health ins and a life ins policy. [thinking]
What is happening that is causing concern? ie; specific person or a general issue?

General issue. She works in a Hotel second shift by herself at night. The hotel attracts alot of odd people.

General issue. She works in a Hotel second shift by herself at night. The hotel attracts alot of odd people.

Than the personal alarm isn't a terrible choice. A dedicated stalker type wouldn't be deterred by something like that but a random attacker would be more worried about attracting attention.

I have heard stories about people using small cans of aerosol hair-spray. Though you won't get the distance that you would with a good pepper spray, and it's not as effective, it may give her enough time to simply run away.

The biggest puzzle to me is in most areas of the state one can carry a knife (which could be a lethal self defense tool) all day long but one would need a permit to carry less than lethal spray hot sauce... [rolleyes]

Mini Aerosol Hair Spray Can and a lighter. That or a swift kick in the nuts. Realistically see if she would consider carrying a knife and combine that with some OC when you have a chance. I mean realistically if she gets assaulted having to deal with spraying someone with OC will be the least of her worries.

And she'll be the the one going to jail.[thinking]

In this state she'll go to jail if she even resists while the assailant is going to town on her. I mean realistically if I were her I'd be sure to stay on lit walkways and be alert. When all else fails someone is going to get knifed and sprayed til the problem dissappears.

A small can or hornet/wasp spray is legal to own/carry without FID or LTC. Get something similar to Raid "Yard Guard" with a fogging nozzle. The effect is like a hose nozzle set on "spray" rather than "stream", so it would be easier to score a good hit to the face while under stress. This type of spray is very nasty and can cause serious or permanent injury. She can expect to face AB/DW charges if she actually uses it against an assailant in this liberal hellhole state. At the end of the day, she would be much better off as a live defendant in criminal court than a hospitalized or deceased victim.

What about her carrying one of the flashlights that are so intense that the can temporarily blind someone? I know I've seen ads for one or two.

The biggest puzzle to me is in most areas of the state one can carry a knife (which could be a lethal self defense tool) all day long but one would need a permit to carry less than lethal spray hot sauce... [rolleyes]

One cannot carry a knife in Massachusetts. MGL 269 10(b) or municipal ordinance prohibiting the carrying of knives.

Pepper spray, hair spray, knives and everything else mentioned are nothing more than tools. Someone who's unwilling to seriously consider getting an LTC is also unlikely to had the determination necessary to use one of them as quickly and as aggressively as needed to do the job. Until she is willing to step up and take some responsibility for her own protection, the best recommendation (unfortunately) is the good medical and life insurance mentioned above. Anything else is just playing make-believe.

Ken

One cannot carry a knife in Massachusetts. MGL 269 10(b) or municipal ordinance prohibiting the carrying of knives.

NO.

MGL c. 269, s. 10(b) prohibits switch blades , ballistic knives (longer than 1.5") and holsters that open a knife as it is drawn. It does NOT constitute a blanket prohibition on carrying knives.

(b) Whoever, except as provided by law, carries on his person, or carries on his person or under his control in a vehicle, any stiletto, dagger or a device or case which enables a knife with a locking blade to be drawn at a locked position, any ballistic knife, or any knife with a detachable blade capable of being propelled by any mechanism, dirk knife, any knife having a double-edged blade, or a switch knife, or any knife having an automatic spring release device by which the blade is released from the handle, having a blade of over one and one-half inches, or a slung shot, blowgun, blackjack, metallic knuckles or knuckles of any substance which could be put to the same use with the same or similar effect as metallic knuckles, nunchaku, zoobow, also known as klackers or kung fu sticks, or any similar weapon consisting of two sicks of wood, plastic or metal connected at one end by a length of rope, chain, wire or leather, a shuriken or any similar pointed starlike object intended to injure a person when thrown, or any armband, made with leather which has metallic spikes, points or studs or any similar device made from any other substance or a cestus or similar material weighted with metal or other substance and worn on the hand, or a manrikigusari or similar length of chain having weighted ends; or whoever, when arrested upon a warrant for an alleged crime, or when arrested while committing a breach or disturbance of the public peace, is armed with or has on his person, or has on his person or under his control in a vehicle, a billy or other dangerous weapon other than those herein mentioned and those mentioned in paragraph (a), shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than two and one-half years nor more than five years in the state prison, or for not less than six months nor more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction, except that if the court finds that the defendant has not been previously convicted of a felony, he may be punished by a fine of not more than fifty dollars or by imprisonment for not more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction.

Note that an assisted-opening knife is not a "switch blade," as it requires physical input from user to open. I have demonstrated a Kershaw assisted-opening knife in front of:

1. An Assistant Attorney General,

2. TWO EOPS attorneys;

3. A Chief of Police; and

4. A State Police lieutenant.

At no time did anyone faint, nor was I seized, arrested, detained, charged or otherwise interfered with. And I never left without the knife.

SOME cities and towns may have ordinances, most likely prohibiting sheath knives and/or knives over a certain length.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom