Non-Cruiser motorcycle riders?

Mountain

NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I've had some high speed tank slappers back in the day on dirt bikes. Had one on a CT-90 but LOL not sure that classifies as a motorcycle and of course not at high speed. Had an old Yamaha MX-250 set up as a desert sled with tall gearing and a big tank. IDK what the top speed was but it was up there and that bike was the source of my biggest Oh F, F, F! tank slappers.

pupchow

NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I've had some high speed tank slappers back in the day on dirt bikes. Had one on a CT-90 but LOL not sure that classifies as a motorcycle and of course not at high speed. Had an old Yamaha MX-250 set up as a desert sled with tall gearing and a big tank. IDK what the top speed was but it was up there and that bike was the source of my biggest Oh F, F, F! tank slappers.
I rode dirt for years, ignoring the need for a Scotts. My wife had a KDX200, and installed a WER steering damper on it for her. She liked it. Then a time came when I had to ride her bike through some gnar gnar, and DAMN that thing was like cheating. A Scotts went on my YZ250 immeditately, and I raced a scramble at Freetown. I was kicking myself so hard for not installing that damper sooner. It was like those babyheads were magically turned into carpet.

pupchow

NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Just to provide a contrary viewpoint, I rode one of those in RI rider's ed. I would never buy one. If someone's looking for a 200-300cc dual sport, I'd instead suggest the XT225/250.
Yes, the high floatation has its limitations. Cool for slogging, not so much for railing berms. Kinda like one of those three-wheeled contraptions on the street. If I had to...

garandman

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 87.5%
7   1   0
Just to provide a contrary viewpoint, I rode one of those in RI rider's ed. I would never buy one. If someone's looking for a 200-300cc dual sport, I'd instead suggest the XT225/250.
] Didn’t say “capable” said “fun.” Top speed is 55. Using it for cornering drills on pavement must be awful. It’s great in the Spring on mushy trails.

if you say “Capable” and can handle the seat height the WR250R is an amazing bike.

Last edited:

garandman

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 87.5%
7   1   0
Feeling nostalgic.

A friend of a friend just came and picked up the CRF100F. His son is 15 and they’d been searching high and low for a dirt bike for him. A new CRF125F is now $3,499 MSRP! He will be the 4th owner. We had the Certificate Of Origin, original keys, manual etc. Such a great little bike! It’s kick start only but very light, easy to pick up and pretty indestructible.

When my son was 7 he was struggling in school. For a writing exercise he wrote the following.

We told him,”If you get all A’s and B’s, we will get you a dirt bike.” Never underestimate the power of motivation! Luckily Ted Duncan was selling his 94 XR100R. Of course we lived in South Boston at the time and had a back yard about 25’x25’ but a friend let us ride out at his place in central Mass.

He didn’t get to ride it much, and then we got one of the Razor electrics, so he used that a lot more. At one point three kids in the neighborhood had them so Karen was unhappy.

In 2014 he was again struggling with classroom and he again responded with a stellar effort, leading to the purchase of a 2012 CRF100F. We took a trip to the campground in Abbott, Maine and rode around for three days, including a trip to Moosehead and back.

The trip we took to Maine was one of the highlights of our relationship. Then we got a place near Sunapee with plenty of opportunity to ride. But that 5’2 kid kept growing, and started grabbing the WR250R whenever he could. He’s 6’2 and 190 now, so time for the CRF to move on.

Mountain

NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Feeling nostalgic.

A friend of a friend just came and picked up the CRF100F. His son is 15 and they’d been searching high and low for a dirt bike for him. A new CRF125F is now $3,499 MSRP! He will be the 4th owner. We had the Certificate Of Origin, original keys, manual etc. Such a great little bike! It’s kick start only but very light, easy to pick up and pretty indestructible.

When my son was 7 he was struggling in school. For a writing exercise he wrote the following.

We told him,”If you get all A’s and B’s, we will get you a dirt bike.” Never underestimate the power of motivation! Luckily Ted Duncan was selling his 94 XR100R. Of course we lived in South Boston at the time and had a back yard about 25’x25’ but a friend let us ride out at his place in central Mass.

He didn’t get to ride it much, and then we got one of the Razor electrics, so he used that a lot more. At one point three kids in the neighborhood had them so Karen was unhappy.

In 2014 he was again struggling with classroom and he again responded with a stellar effort, leading to the purchase of a 2012 CRF100F. We took a trip to the campground in Abbott, Maine and rode around for three days, including a trip to Moosehead and back.

The trip we took to Maine was one of the highlights of our relationship. Then we got a place near Sunapee with plenty of opportunity to ride. But that 5’2 kid kept growing, and started grabbing the WR250R whenever he could. He’s 6’2 and 190 now, so time for the CRF to move on.
Awesome! I grew up riding dirt bikes with my Dad, so this is really special to me. We lost Dad at a very young age, but I still have the dirt bike memories.

Mountain

NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0

pupchow

NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
While we're talking about lights...

One of the wondrous things about modern LED headlights on cars, is that they can change focus on the fly to light as much of the road as possible, yet dim in the direction of oncoming drivers, even in curves. They're really automatic, unlike the old auto-dim feature.

Modern bikes also have LED headlights, but they do something cars don't: they lean.

Does anyone know of any current or potential future bikes that will have aiming LED headlights that account for curves, lean angle, and oncoming traffic?
I noticed BMW now has the adaptive headlights on some of their lightweight bikes (900).

"The adaptive headlight of the F 900 R switches on automatically at a lean angle of 7°. Separate LED elements in the main headlight ensure the best possible illumination of the inside of the curve. For more comfort and safety in every curve. "

moojpg2

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hope nobody is buying a new bike right now in MA. Can't register them unless you can prove its your primary mode of transportation to essential employment...

Wonder if the cops will like a cardboard license plate?
Been riding mine anyway with an old plate on it, I'm insured, mailed in the RMV-1, been waiting ever since. f*** em

Top Bottom