• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

non-chromed barrel maintenance

Any of you folks have experience with a yugo ak? I have read that cleaning the non-chromed barrel is burdensome, is this true?

Thoughts or experiences with non-chromed?

Interested in where you read that.

Is the Yugo barrel you have in "sewer pipe" condition? If so, Hoppes, bore brush and patches until it comes clean. If it's pitted it will still shoot.

If not, they're no more difficult to clean and oil than any other AK barrel.

They're "minute of man" shooters, not tack drivers.

I have had a few non chromed barrels. Yugo's as you say. Give them a good scrub. Nothing you do will bring back a polished barrel. Just realize it. Make sure you leave the barrel with a good coat of oil and that's it. I had also tried a little grease as well. No issues with shot placement. It is still fun to shoot. My problem is, I am picky and it bugs the hell outa me not having a "clean" bore. So, now I stay away from the Yugo's. If you can grab one cheap. Go for it. It will make a great beater gun.

ty for your input guys. I read about the hard cleaning on a couple of sites I do not recall now. I typed "cleaning an unchromed rifle barrel" into google search and just went where it took me.

ty for your input guys. I read about the hard cleaning on a couple of sites I do not recall now. I typed "cleaning an unchromed rifle barrel" into google search and just went where it took me.
shoot it. it will sneeze most crap out. just clean it after the range trip if you know the ammo was corrosive, don`t leave it to sit.

Back
Top Bottom