• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Non-22 budget target rifle

I will toss this into the mix....... questions
What range do you expect or would like to shoot accurately at?
do you plan to go optics or irons. I'm no skilled shooter but I'm rather shocked at how I shoot my AR @ 600 yards with iron sights. I only get better each time also.
How do you plan to feed your "accurate" rifle?
Also one of your post said m1 garand was far out of reach and not practical yet you mention m1a
Cmp service grade m1 is roughly 660$ shipped right to your door. Ammo is 62 cents per round shipped right to your door. "Accurate" maybe not by definition but fun out to 600 yards or so.
Anything you get you might want to consider reloading also.

If you end up looking towards a AR give Peter Southwick a call @ AR15sales.com he has some good deals and is in southern NH.
I have the RRA national match AR 15 and have no complaints. Its a touch more than your budget though. I think you should just save a few more bucks. All the while really figuring out what you really want from your next rifle.

Don't discount 22lr either there are some great older model 22s out there that are very accurate. For the most part bolt actions. My Remington 553 speedmaster surprises me everytime I use it.

Last edited:
Why not just order .22LR online and have it shipped to you?

Well I live in an apartment, and I work 8-5 every day so anything I have shipped has to come to work, and I am not trying to have ammunition comming in to work for me all the time haha. I have the same issues with ordering a gun online, it just seems weird to me and I am the type of person who has to have a good look over it and make sure it feels right in my hands before buying it. I treat firearms shopping like I do car shopping, with the exception of test driving haha.

I will toss this into the mix....... questions
What range do you expect or would like to shoot accurately at?
do you plan to go optics or irons. I'm no skilled shooter but I'm rather shocked at how I shoot my AR @ 600 yards with iron sights. I only get better each time also.
How do you plan to feed your "accurate" rifle?
Also one of your post said m1 garand was far out of reach and not practical yet you mention m1a
Cmp service grade m1 is roughly 660$ shipped right to your door. Ammo is 62 cents per round shipped right to your door. "Accurate" maybe not by definition but fun out to 600 yards or so.
Anything you get you might want to consider reloading also.

If you end up looking towards a AR give Peter Southwick a call @ AR15sales.com he has some good deals and is in southern NH.
I have the RRA national match AR 15 and have no complaints. Its a touch more than your budget though. I think you should just save a few more bucks. All the while really figuring out what you really want from your next rifle.

Don't discount 22lr either there are some great older model 22s out there that are very accurate. For the most part bolt actions. My Remington 553 speedmaster surprises me everytime I use it.

I would actually like to use iron sights for a little while before getting an optic. Yes I will want one farther down the line, but I will want something that is fun to shoot with iron sights as well.

I looked into the CMP garand and, as I said above, I like to have something i can feel out before buying it. Thank you for the reference though. I would really prefer to keep my purchases in-state to keep things less complicated.

It seems like I may go with an ar15 or something similar depending on what I can find for what price. I just dont see much for under $1000 that isn't 90% plastic/poly. The other thing is if I went with an AR15 I would deff go 5.56NATO because I have read plenty about using 5.56 in a .223 chambered gun not working out well. And 5.56 is safe with both rounds. I guess the problem I have with AR's is the hundred or so companies that make them.

I really like the mini-14's as well, though I would have to find one for the right price.

Last edited:
Well I live in an apartment, and I work 8-5 every day so anything I have shipped has to come to work, and I am not trying to have ammunition comming in to work for me all the time haha. I have the same issues with ordering a gun online, it just seems weird to me and I am the type of person who has to have a good look over it and make sure it feels right in my hands before buying it. I treat firearms shopping like I do car shopping, with the exception of test driving haha.

You cant really go wrong with m1 garand from the cmp...far better than almost anything you will get your hands on. Plus you could just take a trip to the north store

It will be a lot cheaper driving around for 22 LR than shooting almost any center fire, having said that buy what you want. AR's are a great choice and can be as accurate as most anybody needs. They are also relatively easy on the wallet to shoot. I am have no issue with recoil, but find myself shooting 22's or light recoil guns way more than my heavy guns. I love my M1A but shoot my 1894 lever gun more often, not to mention one of my 10/22's or bolt guns. A great bolt 22 is the CZ 452, and can be had way under your budget. A nice bolt center fire is the savage with the accu-trigger. My buddy has one in 223 and it is a blast to shoot all day long. My Rem 700 in 308 is fun, but I don't enjoy shooting more than 20-40 shots.... Definitely consider a lever gun a blast to shoot. Can scope them, and plenty accurate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I only saw one comment about an sks and I really like them as well. wondering if there were any other opinions on an sks? Or why I should/shouldn't rule one out? Also for range I am looking at 300-400 yards so medium, but I would like to get out to a buddies place up north, he has about 800 yards but that wouldn't be my regular shooting and as stated earlier a lot of ranges are closer than 300, so something suitable for a range is still important.

Well I live in an apartment, and I work 8-5 every day so anything I have shipped has to come to work, and I am not trying to have ammunition comming in to work for me all the time haha.
No relatives or friends that you trust in NH that you could have it shipped to? It just seems like you're making a bigger deal out of this somewhat simple problem, you live in Free Hampshire, take advantage of it and order it online. Happy shooting!

If you really want a target semi-auto for 100yds that you can tinker with, for under $700, here's the deal. You want a 10/22 - any model - as cheap as possible, ditch the stock and barrel. Get the Volquartsen target hammer kit and put it in the trigger group. Get a better barrel (Green Mountain, etc.), and a nice wood stock, and tack on a decent 4-12x scope. Total about $700. Meet me, my spouse, and my friend in Hookset the Saturday after you get all that together (PM me, really), and we'll visit Shooters' and Riley's and we'll be "bearers" for your ammo (all the places do the limits per person present, not per buyer). It's not one box per person lately - worst case it is 200 rds per person (50x4) and some weekends it's more like 500/person per shop. Depends on what they have. You'll leave with 1600-4000 rds of target ammo for around .08/rd.

Just a thought. Otherwise, I think you are definitely talking the lower-end of eastern bloc rifles for the cheaper ammo (perhaps soon to change) or a CMP Garand (with ammo not all that inexpensive except through CMP). .22 is coming back. The spazout is winding down.

Then save up for the 600yd rifle. Get a nice one.

Mosin Nagant for sure. 150 for the rifle 110 for 440 rounds and then however much you want for a scout optic. If you want a target rifle (shooting slowly at distance for accuaracy) traditionally you will want a bolt gun. I am in my 20's and love the AR's and modern hardware... but there is something special about a bolt gun

It sounds like you want a semi-auto rifle that can do everything - long range, medium range, short range. Up until recently, there wasn't much you could do to address this situation. As a result, folks would buy multiple rifles to address all the various scenarios.

But an AR is different - it is modular. You can change out uppers, switch the furniture (even go with wood stocks if that floats your boat), and change it from a fun range plinker to a long-range shooter or anything in between. You can even get a .22LR upper once that ammo starts to show up locally. Keep the military trigger for fun, then switch it out with a match trigger for long range. Hang a bunch of accessories off it - red dot sight, tactical flashlight, vertical grip - and turn it into a home defense gun.

The good news is that you can put together a basic gun for under $700, and then add things over time.

There have been a number of fun guns mentioned already, but each will fail to meet at least one of your criteria. Go with the AR and turn it into a gun that meets multiple requirements.

If an AR just doesn't do it for you, go with the M1 Garand. Your grandchildren's children will thank you.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Well hmm you want semi auto that can shoot pretty darn well out to 600 yards. Iron sights with possible scope opptions.... something like this http://rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=226 NM A4 full floated barrel comes with detach carry handle and can mount a scope.
Has the wylde chamber and can handle any 223/5.56 factory ammo out there.
Good thing is you can go shoot nra service rifle with it or even take the clinics they have @ Nashua.... out of the 10 variants of the AR I have/had this is my favorite( I have A2 model) I recently built more of a varmint style for scope fun.
Remember if you decide to go RRA or LMT give Pete at ar15sales.com. a try ....prices are very good.

Good luck have fun and post what you end up doing.

Last edited:
I collect and shoot regularly Swedish Mausers, Swiss K31's & Yugo Mausers. Have a Remi 700 & Ruger Gunsight Scout.
2 preban AR builds.
What's my favorite and in my opinion the best all around rifle:
My Armalite M15A4 Target with 20" Wylde SS Barrel. With the right 223 match round, 400-600 yards all day.
I mostly shoot 100-300 with straight up federal Brown & White Box 55gr.

Bottom line!!!!! You have no idea what you want right now!!
Put that $700 aside and add more $$$ to it as you go. Use your shotty and use your pals 22lr til you figure it out.

IMO. I agree with mac1911. The best all around would be a target/varmit type AR such as Armalite, RRA, Bushmaster, LMT and your very near Windham Wepaonry!!!

Good luck and Slooooooow Dooooown!!!!! It will click soon enough.

Thanks for the input jester, I am in agreement with you guys at this point that an AR is probably the way to go because I can make it however I want. Anyways, I am not looking to make an immediate purchase or anything, I just needed some guidance/a direction to go in as I am looking at buying something in the next 2-4 weeks or so. So I will be doing much shopping. I noticed that most of the AR's are at a 16 inch length for the barrel which is fine to start with, however is that legal? I was under the impression that a rifle "long gun" had to be 18" or longer and I have read conflicting things on the subject now. I am assuming SBR's are held to the federal 16" length since the 16" seems to be so common. I have researched all the laws possible but this one gets a bit confusing. Anyways, if any1 could clear that up that would be great.

p.s. I am in NH for any1 just looking as this now that didn't look under my name.

And I will be sure to come back with an update when I do buy something [smile]

Last edited:
Thanks for the input jester, I am in agreement with you guys at this point that an AR is probably the way to go because I can make it however I want. Anyways, I am not looking to make an immediate purchase or anything, I just needed some guidance/a direction to go in as I am looking at buying something in the next 2-4 weeks or so. So I will be doing much shopping. I noticed that most of the AR's are at a 16 inch length for the barrel which is fine to start with, however is that legal? I was under the impression that a rifle "long gun" had to be 18" or longer and I have read conflicting things on the subject now. I am assuming SBR's are held to the federal 16" length since the 16" seems to be so common. I have researched all the laws possible but this one gets a bit confusing. Anyways, if any1 could clear that up that would be great.

p.s. I am in NH for any1 just looking as this now that didn't look under my name.

And I will be sure to come back with an update when I do buy something [smile]

If your looking to reach out there go with a 20" barrel on the AR. A good barrel. Most likely wont see a 20" national match model on the shelf at most shops. 16" isxvery common as the need for a "tactical, home defense, SHTF " gun.
You seem to be leaning heavily on "target " gun and accuracy....
Why don't you head to a local cmp clinic and shoot a garand @ 200 yards. Some clubs even have ARs to use? Shoot some guns while you save.

I noticed that most of the AR's are at a 16 inch length for the barrel which is fine to start with, however is that legal? I was under the impression that a rifle "long gun" had to be 18" or longer and I have read conflicting things on the subject now. I am assuming SBR's are held to the federal 16" length since the 16" seems to be so common. I have researched all the laws possible but this one gets a bit confusing. Anyways, if any1 could clear that up that would be great.
The NFA defines these (18 USC §921) and yeah, it can get confusing. Rifles must have a 16" or longer barrel, and the rifle as a whole must be 26" or longer. If either case is not met, and it started life as a rifle, it is an SBR. For shotguns, the barrel must be 18" or longer and the shotgun must as a whole be 26" or longer. If either case is not met, and it started life as a shotgun, it is an SBS. In either case, rifle or shotgun, length is measured with any stock fully extended.

There are confusing side cases - for just one example smooth bores that never had a buttstock - but the above is the basics for keeping a long gun out of the NFA tax-stamp universe.

NH's laws that touch on such matters are merely definitional ("Pistol or revolver, as used herein, means any firearm with barrel less than 16 inches in length.") and there is to my knowledge no NH state law prohibition or regulation based on length except for the peculiarity that, while you can't have a loaded rifle or shotgun in a vehicle (RSA 207:7), if you have your P&RL you could in theory have a loaded SBR (assuming it is federally legal but, again, NH doesn't care about that; of course, the feds DO) since it would be for NH law purposes a handgun, not a rifle.

S&W m&p 15, Nikon optic, done. The farther you want to accurately reach out, the more $$$ it'll cost. You can easily spend almost the money of a cheap AR on just a precision barrel. Buy according to your skills. If you go with an AR, you can modify and improve the weapon over time, as your skillset grows.

I just bought a Ruger American in .308. with a vortex crossfire 6-18 scope and rings, it was about $550. First time shooting 100 yards saturday and shot great for me as a newbie. Not semi auto though. The Ruger Gunsite is semi auto.

NO. The Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle is NOT semi-automatic. It's bolt-action.

6803.jpg

Buy a Reminton 700 in .223.

You'll use less ammo and shoot more precisely, plus it can be upgraded as there are TONS of accessories for it.

I know you said you want semi-auto, trust me, if you like shooting precision, you won't regret the Remington.

eta, unless you're going AR in a semi there really isn't a lot to choose from if you want a tack driver, not that's available in calibers other than .308 at least (M1A) or 30.06 (Garand)

Last edited:
OP, not sure if you have answered this already, but "why" does it have to be semi-auto? I ask mainly because ARs, M1s, etc, are pretty damn accurate, but I definitely don't categorize them as precision rifles, especially at longer ranges. I also don't see the point in having semi-auto for your stated purpose. If you want an all around range plinker that still has respectable accuracy, AR is the way to go, and as mentioned it can be upgraded as you can afford, but if you are looking for a precision, long range rifle, you will be hard pressed to find something better than good Savage, or Rem 700 bolt gun. I like to think of it as having the right tool for the job, so you really have to make up your mind exactly "what" that job is, and buy your tools accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom