No Youth Steel Shooting allowed at Westwood Gun Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

rep308

NES Member
This is to inform the members and potential members of Westwood Gun Club of a recent ruling that forbids youth steel pistol shooting, especially the course of fire prescribed by the Scholastic Pistol Program

Background: After seven years of coaching a Scholastic Clay Target Program shotgun team another coach and a quieter member of this board and I decided to form a Youth Steel Pistol Team under the Scholastic Pistol Program, sponsored by the National Shooting Sports Foundation. The Medfield Sportsman club is our sponsoring organization and we have received great support from the people at GOAL. We have gotten support from Glock, Smith and Wesson, Federal Ammunition among others. The other coach is also a member of the Westwood Gun Club and took a couple of the teen age members of the team to the range to practice during a weekday afternoon

We have a borrowed set of targets thanks to GOAL and they were set up in the prescribed course of fire that can be found here. During this slow day at the range 3 team members were practicing, one at a time, when an older gentleman (note: I’m 54) told them it was ‘unsafe’ and ‘not allowed’. Not wanted to cause a scene they left the range and we looked at the range rules. We could find nothing in the handout and asked the board for clarification. We were informed that they would look into it, and we began to prepare a presentation to explain the program.

Well, this week we were informed that youth steel shooting in the manner prescribed by the Scholastic Pistol Program is NOT ALLOWED, we were not asked to present. I understand the concept of ‘their house, their rules’ and we will follow them accordingly.

I am just posting this as a public service announcement for members and potential members of the Westwood Gun Club to make them aware of this recent event

Ridiculous. NSSF and Midway wouldn't be backing this so strongly if it were dangerous. If the targets are set correctly and the kids draw and engage the targets correctly there shouldn't be any issues.

Just some minor functionary feeling more important than he is, or ever was.

One more club that I will never join and will also dissuade others from joining.

Well, this week we were informed that youth steel shooting in the manner prescribed by the Scholastic Pistol Program is NOT ALLOWED, we were not asked to present. I understand the concept of ‘their house, their rules’ and we will follow them accordingly.

Not trying to piss anyone off here. Just curious as there are two sides to every story and we just got a very one sided argument. I don't belong to the gun club so couldn't care less one way or the other beyond morbid curiosity....

Was there more to their explanation other than just saying it is not allowed? Why is it not allowed? So the old guy said it wasn't safe...that's all we have from the Westwood side....what was the board's rationale?

No explanation was given, simply a NOT ALLOWED was passed to the member coach. They are a private club and get to set their own rules, I am simply reporting the facts as given.

No explanation was given, simply a NOT ALLOWED was passed to the member coach. They are a private club and get to set their own rules, I am simply reporting the facts as given.

I hear you. I get that. It's sad that's how they feel. You would think as a shooting club they would support as many types of shooting events as they can handle. even so, you would expect some kind of explanation that they were not willing to give.

Gotta love fudds. if it is not trap/skeet or bullseye they dont like it.

The club I belong to is a different story. only members are allowed to shoot. outdoor hours are ok but vary on time of year (so no shooting under the lights) and a few other things.... however SSC pistol has been embraced there. even looking into getting into the newer rifle format also. even have new pits being built for action type shoots.

sadly though a neighbor and an order, and the rules changes deemed necessary at the time keep the club from holding matches at this time.

on a good note another club let them to use their pits to host a match out here. now if more clubs in western ma could field some teams.

Another Gun Club afraid of guns?

This pretty much sums it up. I love how even when you follow the rules there's always someone demanding you "respect their authority "
This type of person is So smart. It falls in the same category as "i respect the second amendment, but.."

My favorite one is "hay you can't shoot steel with a rifle" followed by how their on the board and you should read the rules..
Which they aren't a current board member and it say no such thing in the rules...
But this "good old boy" has pull and can cause trouble for you..because clearly guns are bad. Yet these same people feel the same Written rules don't apply to them because they are the authority on safety.

#it'sforthechildren
/end rant

Ridiculous. NSSF and Midway wouldn't be backing this so strongly if it were dangerous. If the targets are set correctly and the kids draw and engage the targets correctly there shouldn't be any issues.

It has nothing to do with the format. I belong to a club where "drawing" from a holster and engaging targets are just not allowed. There is also no "practice". They have a simple steel plate shoot once a,month I think but I believe it's all low ready style ?
There is still a good amount of dis like for "children" at clubs. If its beyond 22 or air rifle shooting it causes problems. Some clubs are more social meeting spots vs shooting.
I have read the rules of another club I belong to, it does not have a "age" children or Jr's requirement to shoot on the line. Clearly only says all Jr's shall be accompanied by an adult who is a standing member and must observe all Jr shooters at all times...I have been approached several times by FUDDS saying my daughter is to young....I carry the rule book and ask them to point that rule out. Lots of funds don't like the girls there either. It comes down to club rules and politics.

The club I shoot at, I got some 3" thick plates, welded them to some solid bars to be installed in the at the 100 and 200 yard. Figure they would be like a gong at the club in Sutton, but they never installed them and I never got them back, lol.
I guess some people don't like steel.

Jason.

Fudd's gotta

hortelinomp.jpg

Remind the grumpy old guys that the kiddo's will be paying their Social Security, so they should be nice to them! ;)

Remind the grumpy old guys that the kiddo's will be paying their Social Security, so they should be nice to them! ;)

We want to save the second amendment and pass on the shooting interests to younger people and these old farts are telling kids 'No'. Not very productive if this is their position....

Sounds like some bluehair ******* with suspenders here derring everything...

show me a club within 30 miles of my house where no-one has ever had a complaint about fudds or board members and i'll join tomorrow

oh!!! they don't exist

It sounds like a team was using the club to practice with a coach/trainer and non-member students/team members. Most clubs don't allow walk-on instructors/coaches to hold classes/trainings/practices without prior permission--particularly with non-member shooters.

Is there any club you can just show up with your team of non-members and expect a happy reception?

Also, how many clubs let you bring your own steel targets to be shot at pistol range?

I don't speak for the club but I'm a member and it's a great club. I also don't know ANYTHING about this other than what the OP posted.

But I do know WGC is not anti gun or anti youth shooting by any means. They're hosting an annual boy scout shoot and GOAL Women on Target Event again this year. The club did two WOT events last year and there were many members on hand to let newbies shoot their pistols, rifles, and shotguns with plenty of tacticool to be had.

Last edited:
This is to inform the members and potential members of Westwood Gun Club of a recent ruling that forbids youth steel pistol shooting, especially the course of fire prescribed by the Scholastic Pistol Program

Background: After seven years of coaching a Scholastic Clay Target Program shotgun team another coach and a quieter member of this board and I decided to form a Youth Steel Pistol Team under the Scholastic Pistol Program, sponsored by the National Shooting Sports Foundation. The Medfield Sportsman club is our sponsoring organization and we have received great support from the people at GOAL. We have gotten support from Glock, Smith and Wesson, Federal Ammunition among others. The other coach is also a member of the Westwood Gun Club and took a couple of the teen age members of the team to the range to practice during a weekday afternoon

We have a borrowed set of targets thanks to GOAL and they were set up in the prescribed course of fire that can be found here. During this slow day at the range 3 team members were practicing, one at a time, when an older gentleman (note: I’m 54) told them it was ‘unsafe’ and ‘not allowed’. Not wanted to cause a scene they left the range and we looked at the range rules. We could find nothing in the handout and asked the board for clarification. We were informed that they would look into it, and we began to prepare a presentation to explain the program.

I am just posting this as a public service announcement for members and potential members of the Westwood Gun Club to make them aware of this recent event

I'm a member at Westwood (not that I have been to any meetings lately) and I kind of wish that you guys can reach out to other members and members of the board. I have no idea what this Scholastic training is or why it was denied and what is the process to get this reviewed. I hope that there is a reason and probably there is. You may not like it, but some things can be changed. Kids+guns doesn't automatically means yes from a club.

In terms of rules, I have no idea why the old timer called out unsafe behavior, but it is useful to read the range rules (not that I know them all) Sometimes old timers are wrong and grumpy, but sometimes they are right.

Here is the deal, if you don't know the range rules and choose to walk away to "Not wanted to cause a scene", you forfeit your right to bitch about it. Know the rules, argue your cause. Want to change the rules go to a meeting. If your other coach is a member he can show at a meeting and speak his mind.

There has been times at the pistol range, with the old club steel targets where lead or copper came back from targets. There are safety rules that is NOT FUDDERY DUDES. was this Man RSO ? Some of theses targets that u can by on the Internet are not angled downward to deflect into the dirt. Also the 4 rules apply, with metal targets supplied by others especially know what's behind your target in the event of a miss. Generally unless ground targets are set up Right in front of a backstop its a no go. Don't know what the safety problem is but let's not beat up other gun owners Dudes.

Yes folks there is two sides to every story. As the President of WGC I am going to put my two cents worth in. Unlike a lot of the posts I have read, I am going to give you first hand knowledge. When I am done, I hope the authors of uninformed posts will have enough self respect to retract their negative statements about WGC. You know nothing about the club or its members

Our club supports the advancement of all gun related activities, WHEN DONE SAFELY!!
NRA sponsor
GOAL Silver sponsor
Woman on target
Boy Scout shoots
RSO classes
Basic Pistol Classes
multiple rifle matches
Shotgun events
We shoot steel on our pistol and rifle ranges, steel is fun to shoot. We have about 20 various size steel targets. all steel targets are placed at the proper distances to minimize anyone being injured from jacket fragments. First mistake the two experienced coaches made. The minimum distance in any course of fire for plate placement in the SSP handbook is 24 feet. The set up being used was at the 21 foot mark. That plate placement put our MEMBERS on the firing line at risk of being hit with fragments. Did I mention the damage to the range that was taking place? Bullet holes in the baffle, misses not impacting the impact area? Hmm something wrong here??

Two of the concerned members that spoke to me about the plate placement are very knowledgable and distinguished military marksmen, one being a holder of many honors. Yes, their opinion mattered to myself and the Executive Board. In our Range rules and procedures it clearly states that if you disagree with a ruling you are invited to take the matter up with the Executive Board, no one exercised that right. We held an E-Board and regular monthly meeting a week later. Instead this individual went on a smear campaign from behind a key board. We have another rule.. that only the shooter is to be forward of the ready line, I personally observed kids at shooting stations loading magazines while the two coaches were observing another youth shooting. I could go on and on with what this so called experienced coach did wrong. But I won't, I said I would only give my two cents worth. There is so much more I could add.

One more thing, we never said youth programs would not take place at WGC. We plan on discussing youth programs in the near future. Safety being priority.
Based on our observations and input from MEMBERS, We made a ruling that this individual would not be allowed to run youth programs at the Club. Our suggestion is that he run the program from the club where he registered the team. Why wouldn't you?? Is there a reason?? If anyone would like to discuss this matter with me feel free to contact me through the club website. I prefer to discuss my actions/ decisions in person, not from behind a key board.

Mark Gentile
President
Westwood Gun Club

First mistake the two experienced coaches made. The minimum distance in any course of fire for plate placement in the SSP handbook is 24 feet. The set up being used was at the 21 foot mark.

can you show where it says this is the handbook (rulebook?)
I'm on a phone and having a hard time viewing the stage diagrams, but I remember some stages have plates at 7 yards.

We have another rule.. that only the shooter is to be forward of the ready line, I personally observed kids at shooting stations loading magazines while the two coaches were observing another youth shooting.

I'm not sure I understand. Simply loading a magazine isn't cause for concern. Where the kids loading magazines also handling a firearm?

WestWood Gun Club is one of the most shooter friendly clubs around. If someone is called out on something it's because they are doing something that is not safe.I was the president of that club for five years,and worked very hard to make it a fun and safe club to shoot at.As president Mr Gentile has worked very hard to keep the club a fun safe place to shoot at.If someone called you out on something I have no doubt you were doing something wrong.

Thank you Mark. Westwood is my club too and I agree it's one of the most shooter friendly clubs in MA and FAR from a Fudd club.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom