• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

No wonder why I despise religion...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree that this guy is a blithering moron. But don't lump all religions in because of one idiot.

I don't know much about religions other than Christianity, so I'll remain silent on that.
Christianity does not equal Catholicism. Catholics aren't even the largest group of Christians, they're just the largest here in New England.

Evangelicals, Non-Denominationals and Baptists tend to be very conservative.

The only think my pastor has ever said to me regarding carrying guns in the church is "Thank you".

Agree that this guy is a blithering moron. But don't lump all religions in because of one idiot.

I don't know much about religions other than Christianity, so I'll remain silent on that.
Christianity does not equal Catholicism. Catholics aren't even the largest group of Christians, they're just the largest here in New England.

The only think my pastor has ever said to me regarding carrying guns in the church is "Thank you".
Funny you should say that. My step-son decided just before his confirmation he didn't want to continue in the church (this was before I married his mother). Her attitude was "I'd rather have him be honest than go forward to be confirmed and never step foot in a church".

Fast forward about 7 years (he's in his early 20's now), Until recently he didn't know there were other flavors of Christianity. He thought Christian literally meant Catholic. I had no words. I asked him is her knew there were department stores other than Walmart

What a blithering moron.

"Let’s voluntarily set aside our rights "
it is what church was always about. no one needs those stinking rights, all we need is a good king/shepherd who knows what is good for the flock.
brits even went as far as to combine those 2 into a singular person.

Funny you should say that. My step-son decided just before his confirmation he didn't want to continue in the church (this was before I married his mother). Her attitude was "I'd rather have him be honest than go forward to be confirmed and never step foot in a church".

Fast forward about 7 years (he's in his early 20's now), Until recently he didn't know there were other flavors of Christianity. He thought Christian literally meant Catholic. I had no words. I asked him is her knew there were department stores other than Walmart

Every year, when filling out forms for AP exams, I have to explain to my students (most of whom are academically outstanding seniors, and Catholics) that Christianity includes Catholicism. They routinely confuse the terms "Christian" and "Protestant."

Their indoctrination was very thorough, lol. They have no clue.

Not really religious here... just wondering where in the Bilbe does it say you must join a church or be a member of an organized religion? Can't you just read it and follow the teachings as you interpret them?

one reference is in Matthew 18:20. “For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.” King James Version (KJV)

this is mainly interpreted to pray together as a group and has evolved to gathering in church..

Not really religious here... just wondering where in the Bilbe does it say you must join a church or be a member of an organized religion? Can't you just read it and follow the teachings as you interpret them?

The Bible doesn't specifically say you need to join a church, but when the early believers came together, that WAS church. There was only one. There wasn't even the Bible, yet. But even as early as Paul the Apostle, there were beginning to be divisions and issues where people forced their opinions over what was the true teaching.

My only advice is to watch out for the changed meanings and translations as you read and interpret for yourself. This is where having a church that is led by an educated pastor is very helpful, as he can help with cases of "well this says xyz, but if you look at the way they would have written it in Greek, it translates more as ABC, but if you take into account the Jewish laws, then this is saying LMN" (I hope that made sense.)

Just reading the Bible is still a good start, in my opinion. And you may find you want to learn more and more. Not knowing you, but you being on a gun board, I'd recommend the Evangelical or Baptist churches if you want to go, since like I said they're typically more conservative.

Baptists tend to have the most food.

if you're truly interested in reading the entire Bible, there's an app that guides you through the entire thing in a year. A few chapters every night.. If you try to read it cover to cover, you'll never get past Chronicles.. LOL

The Bible doesn't specifically say you need to join a church, but when the early believers came together, that WAS church. There was only one. There wasn't even the Bible, yet. But even as early as Paul the Apostle, there were beginning to be divisions and issues where people forced their opinions over what was the true teaching.

My only advice is to watch out for the changed meanings and translations as you read and interpret for yourself. This is where having a church that is led by an educated pastor is very helpful, as he can help with cases of "well this says xyz, but if you look at the way they would have written it in Greek, it translates more as ABC, but if you take into account the Jewish laws, then this is saying LMN" (I hope that made sense.)

Just reading the Bible is still a good start, in my opinion. And you may find you want to learn more and more. Not knowing you, but you being on a gun board, I'd recommend the Evangelical or Baptist churches if you want to go, since like I said they're typically more conservative.

Baptists tend to have the most food.
any christian dogma puts a concept of a 'correct belief' on top of anything else, and it trumps everything, good deeds of yours, sinful acts, as long as you comply and 'correct' - anything goes.
with pope to be the singular resource to define what the 'correct' is.

point to be - what that cardinal says plays perfectly in line with what the whole racket is.

H
Hebrews 10:24-25
Yes, Christians are commanded to gather for worship.
The authoritative hierarchy of leadership is where a lot of churches exit faith and replace it with religion

A peaceful person has both the capacity and the capability to commit acts of violence but lacks the desire to do so. It is a choice. Any able bodied person has the capacity. Taking away guns will not eliminate the capability but will make peaceful people less able to defend themselves against those who choose violence.

“Break their teeth, O God, in their mouth: break out the great teeth of the young lions, O LORD.” - Psalms 58:6
David sought to disarm his enemy and destroy their capacity to cause harm to his people. David did not seek to disarm himself or destroy his people's capability to defend themselves.

Last edited:
Just because you're a scholar in one area does not mean you're smart in any others.

You are correct. It does not say anywhere you must join a church. As EMTDAD pointed out, Matthew 18:20. “For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.” It is also stated in Luke 22:36 "and let him who has no sword sell his garment and buy one." i.e. be armed.

Every year, when filling out forms for AP exams, I have to explain to my students (most of whom are academically outstanding seniors, and Catholics) that Christianity includes Catholicism. They routinely confuse the terms "Christian" and "Protestant."

Their indoctrination was very thorough, lol. They have no clue.
I'm quite sure there are members of my family that do know understand the Orthodox churches are Christian and that at one time it was all the same thing. Seems religion is fine...until people get involved

tax the catholic if the want to get into political argument. Also they are the ones getting fed monies ho help illegal imgrants
Yup, I agree. Don't claim you're tax exempt and then offer political opinions speaking to the congregation. Leave that to the unions lol

Also, probably worth pointing out that the Cardinal In Newark doesn't speak for the entire Catholic Church.

Neither the Bible nor Cannon Law says we can't own guns.

Today's news: Another stupid guy had another stupid idea.

Also, probably worth pointing out that the Cardinal In Newark doesn't speak for the entire Catholic Church.

Neither the Bible nor Cannon Law says we can't own guns.

Today's news: Another stupid guy had another stupid idea.
No....but the catholic church leaders overall have gone the way of the democrat, there is no arguing that.

No....but the catholic church leaders overall have gone the way of the democrat, there is no arguing that.
I think there is room for arguing that actually. They are neither and both at the same time.

Saying they're pro life puts them 180 degrees in opposition to most the D in state and federal government, and certainly the platform they've stood by since the 70's.

They've always been against death penalty and pro immigration (legal and otherwise), and I get it that. And I have had my differences with them in those areas.

The D's in MA got the catholic church out of the adoption business wholesale when they required them to allow children to be adopted by same sex couples.

They have stood firmly opposed to same sex marriages and I haven't heard them speak well of many of the "woke" things we complain about here.

The catholic church being opposed to abortion was a huge advocate for adoption and was one of the largest agencies until politics entered the picture.

So yes. They certainly agree on many points with the D's, but they are not solidly in their camp. Socially regarding same sex marriage, adoptions, woke, abortion, they're aligned with the most conservative R's

Well, who's fault is that?

well when the Catholic church gives up its tax exempt status, it can lobby on political issues like 2A

He;ll be begging for gun owners to save his ass once the radical followers of Islam start burning his churches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom