No way VA

As of Jan 1 no more smoking on VA property. !??!

I don't smoke but reallllyyyy? If bullets or bombs didn't take you down and you want to rip butts I'm not gonna stop you. Daddy gov knows best i guess.

This is going to go over real well. The poor veterans who smoke to help cope with PTSD or alcohol / drug addiction are the one's that are really going to be affected. Of course the veterans are going to be offered the patch, gum, or implants but these alternatives do not equal the same strength of nicotine as inhaling cigarette does. Just another example of incompetent management making decisions without having the ability to fully think things through. I hope the VA police just look the other way.

It's a medical center -- given the number of people I've seen at the VA with respiratory issues I don't see an issue with this. Throw in a dip or grab some nicotine gum if you need it that bad.

This.

Smoke somewhere else. I thought we already went through all this about twenty-five years ago... secondhand smoke? Carcinogens that you're pumping into nearby nonsmokers' lungs?

It's a hospital. Been awhile since you could smoke anything in any of those.

It's a medical center -- given the number of people I've seen at the VA with respiratory issues I don't see an issue with this. Throw in a dip or grab some nicotine gum if you need it that bad.
Come on man, for some older Vets a good smoke is all these guys got left. The VA doesn’t give a shit about Veterans, trust me I used to work there.

This.

Smoke somewhere else. I thought we already went through all this about twenty-five years ago... secondhand smoke? Carcinogens that you're pumping into nearby nonsmokers' lungs?

It's a hospital. Been awhile since you could smoke anything in any of those.
VA is way different than a hospital..

Most have smoke shacks so no 2nd hand smoke. If ppl want to smoke in designated areas I don't see an issue.

Designated areas? Fine by me.

Still, times change. I’m sure you used to be able to tie your horse up in front of City Hall, too. People used to light their homes with whale oil. It used to be fine to dump industrial waste in Boston Harbor.

Things are different now. It happens.

Or head to the smoke pit. Willing to bet they have one, even if it’s right in the property line.

Its bullshit.

I have no problem with the facilities going smoke free for employees as a term of employment, because employees are free to leave and get a job else where. Vets who get their care from the VA are promised that care as a term of their service. They should be accommodated and not forced to go stand in a snow bank across the street from the facility.

Its bullshit.

I have no problem with the facilities going smoke free for employees as a term of employment, because employees are free to leave and get a job else where. Vets who get their care from the VA are promised that care as a term of their service. They should be accommodated and not forced to go stand in a snow bank across the street from the facility.
This...and the VA don’t a give a shit. For the Vets who are only allowed to leave the floor for 10 minutes a day they can’t even smoke now...it’s thier last stop in life. They are going to die at a VA facility and the VA says “f*** em, no smoking”...For all you people out there who say good, smoking is for losers anyway...that’s all these old warriors have left.

Or head to the smoke pit. Willing to bet they have one, even if it’s right in the property line.
Nope, no more smoke pits, smoking shacks, u can’t even smoke in your car on a VA campus. They are aggressively telling the VA police to ticket people for smoking. If your a VA employee and u get caught they will AWOL u!

Designated areas? Fine by me.

Still, times change. I’m sure you used to be able to tie your horse up in front of City Hall, too. People used to light their homes with whale oil. It used to be fine to dump industrial waste in Boston Harbor.

Things are different now. It happens.
They VA got rid of all designated smoking areas including smoking shacks

" smoke ' em if you Got'um. . . . their House Their rules . . . . still see a bunch of guys at the back of the J.P. VA. Torch'in up . . . used to be Me . . . a looong time ago . . . .

Receive excellent care at VA. Not a lot of sympathy for smokers. It is a hospital. They can walk out the Heath St gate to smoke if they want.

The military included cigarettes in the rations till 1975 and are partly to blame for creating smokers. "Smoke em if ya got em". I was told long ago that until those generations have passed, smoking would be allowed at the VA. Guess not.

As of Jan 1 no more smoking on VA property. !??!

I don't smoke but reallllyyyy? If bullets or bombs didn't take you down and you want to rip butts I'm not gonna stop you. Daddy gov knows best i guess.
The right to smoke ends when it interferes to my right to fresh air, if someone can't wait a few hours then they have bigger problems.

Maybe, maybe not, but I have had predominantly positive experiences with the Boston system.
Me too. Signed up for VA healthcare when I retired last year. Doc looked through all my files......recommended I file for some disability claims. I didn't even ask......didn't even have intentions of filing.....she told me I should and set me up with a claims rep. Went to 3 Dr apts they made for me......3 months after filing I was rated at 40% for 2 different issues. Easy.

I use the VA for all my healthcare.....no complaints. Apts are scheduled quickly.....my medications are all free and mailed right to my house.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom