No Tax on Gun Safes in Mass??

Well said. If it happened to me I'm sure I would be angry. I just hate to send the DOR out there to attach a fellow citizen and gun owner. And attack is what they will do.
Having been in the store I was surprised to hear what had happened. Maybe he was having a bad day? If I had his email I would send him a link to this thread:) Then if he continued charging the tax the gloves would come off.

Here's how the scenario went down.

I bought the safe, he charged tax and I protested. Walter claimed to "know nothing about that" (tax exemption). I told him that I'd Fax him the TIR (DOR document outlining the exemption). I did that.

A week or so later I go back to his shop, ask if he got my Fax. He says part of it came thru then his Fax machine died or some such bullcrap. So I hand him a copy with the pertinent info highlighted. Again he says "I know nothing"! (Sgt. Schultz defense? [thinking]). I tell him that I want a refund of the sales tax and he goes into a rant, trying to lay a guilt trip on me, with other folks in the store (one a former Waltham LEO that I know). I showed him the DOR Email advising how he can get a refund of improperly paid sales tax from the state (it looks like a massive PITA, but I know of another way that's painless and advise him accordingly). When I wouldn't back down, he finally opens his wallet and makes a big production out of it and tells everyone in the shop that it's costing him personally. That was the last time I was in his shop! End of story.

Here's how the scenario went down.

I bought the safe, he charged tax and I protested. Walter claimed to "know nothing about that" (tax exemption). I told him that I'd Fax him the TIR (DOR document outlining the exemption). I did that.

A week or so later I go back to his shop, ask if he got my Fax. He says part of it came thru then his Fax machine died or some such bullcrap. So I hand him a copy with the pertinent info highlighted. Again he says "I know nothing"! (Sgt. Schultz defense? ). I tell him that I want a refund of the sales tax and he goes into a rant, trying to lay a guilt trip on me, with other folks in the store (one a former Waltham LEO that I know). I showed him the DOR Email advising how he can get a refund of improperly paid sales tax from the state (it looks like a massive PITA, but I know of another way that's painless and advise him accordingly). When I wouldn't back down, he finally opens his wallet and makes a big production out of it and tells everyone in the shop that it's costing him personally. That was the last time I was in his shop! End of story.

So you did all the right things and in the end you got publicly insulted and your money thrown in your face.
I can see why you won't go back. It'll make me think twice about going there anytime soon too.
I wonder if he charges tax on safes now?????

Last edited:
I can verify that Dick's doesn't charge sales tax on safes. I got a really nice one on black Friday for an awesome price.
Dick's in Millbury charged me sales tax on a gunsafe when they were a brand new store. I emailed a copy of the applicable MGL to their headquarters and they instructed the store manager to refund me. They didn't know.

Back
Top Bottom