• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

no space to reload

Get a cheap tool chest that will fit in a closet. Sears or Harbor freight should have one to fit the bill for under $200.00, Add a wooden top (2 by or double 3/4 ply) to bolt the press onto. All the tools and components can go in the drawers and the whole thing can slide into the closet under your hanging clothes. Pull it out to reload and put it away when company is coming.

Got a kitchen table? A lot of us got started there. Just make everything removable, and clean up your mess or the better half will let you know.

Workmate 125. Still use it sometimes.
c5325e60-6967-44b2-846a-1f1c8e814585_400.jpg

Workmate 125. Still use it sometimes.
c5325e60-6967-44b2-846a-1f1c8e814585_400.jpg

This.

Saw a nice setup at the GOAL reloading class using a B&D Workmate. There is room for what should be there, and not room for all the clutter and crap that seems to find its way to my reloading area. I think it was the 225 workmate. [wink]

I started out reloading 300 win mag with a Lee loader one at a time 35 yrs ago. Saved a lot, learned a lot and enjoyed it. If you really want to you will find a place.

When I started reloading, back in the early 70's, I lived in a small apartment in Sturbridge, MA. The ONLY place I had to reload was the kitchen table. I bolted my press to a board, and clamped that to the table. Reloaded there for a few years like that.

There's ALWAYS a place to reload!

I too started that way with a Lyman single stage press. There are plans, and you can make a mount that is quite small, and angles the press slightly. Just used C clamps on the kitchen table. Reloaded thousands of rounds of 38 spl when I was in grad school and very poor :)

Similar to the above posts.... for years, I used a Lyman Handi-press. If you have a chair to sit in, you can reload with one of these. Granted, full length resizing of rifle cases might be more of a chore with a hand-held press versus a sturdy bench-mounted device, but you can still produce quality reloads. Beyond that, a small area to place a scale is about all you'll need, unless a simple scooper does the trick for you (once you know what the scoop holds you can be consistent enough to even eliminate the wasted space for the scale).
Good luck.

there's always a place to reload. I know one friend who has the smallest reloading area I have seen. The space under the stairs to his small partial basement.
he has his press mounted to a pedestal stand for a grinder, bolted to the floor . actual space is aprox
5'H 4'D 6'L. he stores all his reloading stuff under the lower stairs.
my space is not much bigger, all my stuff from tools to reloading,fishing and golf is in a small part of my basement. actual reloadind area is a 3'x2' area of a short version of the reloading bench plan from thr nra/reloaders association/rifleman

Last edited:
I started on this with a Dillon RL550B:

155024-main.jpg

It fit perfectly inside my wall locker so that I could lock it up for inspections.

Last edited:
I feel your Pain. I live in an apartment, the place comes with a 30' x 20' storage room in the basement and I do have a work bench down there but, I need to use it for other stuff so don't have the luxury of a permanently mounted set up currently. I reload 45 Colt, so its a bit simpler and doesn't require the oomph for bottle neck cases.

I can reload two ways currently.

A Lee Loader [smile], I use an arbor press instead of a hammer or with a Huntington HDS Compac Tool and a Lee 4 Die Set.

They and all the assorted accouterments like a Lee Hand Primer, dippers, funnel, loading blocks, scale, and etc all fit in an average size carry tool box. Well, except for the arbor press but, I figure an old bottle capping press would, just waiting to come across one at a garage or rummage sale one of these days to try that idea out.

Is fast as a progressive? No, but it's not awful either, thus far I've come to enjoy the process. Its like Zen meditation [laugh], after a frantic work week its nice just to take time doing something that isn't complicated or rushed.

Either makes good ammo, it works for me, and being a new reloader its great to get up close and personal with the process, and it works for the space I've got currently.

Before you run out and spend the $130.00 on a Compac Tool keep an eye on the auction sites, you can pick them up for half that, I got mine on gun broker for $50.00 or you could get the Lee hand press also.

Last edited:
Only thing I would caution about reloading in your kitchen, most lead found in people is ingested!! Probably another place would be better if you have children..

Back
Top Bottom