No School in your town - 3/2/2009

Garys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
72   0   0
My wife was on the way to school when they canceled. I'm on a day off, so I'm home too.

The only down side is that at this rate, the school year will be going to July 3.

M1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Tapped two snow banks going into work. I have 4 wheel drive but my tires are shot. Still on back order 3 weeks now
4WD helps you go, but it doesn't help you stop or turn. I've put snow tires on my 4Runner in the winter. They make a huge difference over all seasons.

Palladin

NES Member
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Dracut closed.
I stayed home to 'work from home"...;)

I'm too old for the bullshit with driving in this stuff.

" Waitress! another JD on the rocks please....and some form of dead animal for dinner!"

45collector

NES Member
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
4WD helps you go, but it doesn't help you stop or turn. I've put snow tires on my 4Runner in the winter. They make a huge difference over all seasons.
I've had my 4runner since August. I love the thing. Big step up from my '98 Blazer! The only things that bug me are the traction control system (If you try to spin the wheels, VSC takes over and will not let the engine rev... [angry]. I'm used to taking corners sideways on slippery roads!) and the less leg room in the front seats than the Blazer. Other than that the 4runner is pissa!

M1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
The only things that bug me are the traction control system (If you try to spin the wheels, VSC takes over and will not let the engine rev... [angry]. I'm used to taking corners sideways on slippery roads!)
If you lock the center differential (X button on lower part of dash to the left of the steering wheel), it turns of electronic spin control. That lets you hang out the back a bit before the traction control shuts you down. Word of caution, however. Doing so turns the 4Runner into a really tail happy beast. I found it far harder to control the tail than in my brother's old 1972 Capri.

The other thing downside to the 4Runner in the snow is that the ABS is very overly sensitive, and I find it significantly increases stopping distances.

M1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
My wrangler with the stock all seasons performs well in the snow.
All seasons tend to be OK when young. After 15-20k miles, the snow traction drops off significantly. But even with new all season tires, they have no comparison to real snow tires, which give far better braking and turning performance.

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
Most schools in our area are closed to day also. The kid is doing homework and I am shoveling/catching up on job stuff and paperwork.

One of the good/bad things about being a consultant and working out of your house is being able to work on days like this. But, it lets me accomplish billable hours.

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I went to Townfair tire to see if I would pass inspection next month. I only have 1/32 tread left. I would say they are pretty bald. Ordered a set three weeks ago....just waiting and slip sliding away

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My wrangler with the stock all seasons performs well in the snow.
I have the BFG AT KO radial all terrains on my 97 Wrangler. It is OK in the snow, but twitchy due to the short wheelbase and the high center of gravity. It will get stuck leaving my driveway almost every time. I live on a hill, and just use 4WD to get started out of the driveway, before switching to 2WD for the rest of the trip.

W

wolf223

Rating - 100%
72   0   0
not me, little man.

[laugh] - it's just another day to me... work from home and be happy. maybe sleep in until 6:00 (when he normally wakes up).

i actually can't believe they closed... but we'll see in the morning.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We won't get the cancellation call until 5:30 am, soonest. I got a feeling, though, that western Mass is going to be cancelled. I'll lick a spoon and put it in the freezer to make sure. And wear my jammies inside out. AND flush an ice cube down the toilet!

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
We won't get the cancellation call until 5:30 am, soonest. I got a feeling, though, that western Mass is going to be cancelled. I'll lick a spoon and put it in the freezer to make sure. And wear my jammies inside out. AND flush an ice cube down the toilet!
Do you remember about 10 (?) years ago when we had a similar forecast? Everything cancelled the night before for an early morning snow. However it did not start snowing until around 5 or 6pm as I recall. One whole day cancelled on a forecast and the snow came late.

[smile]

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I just want to know when they are going to announce NO WORK today LOL ... since that isnt going to happen .. hi ho hi ho.... off to shovel FUC**ng SNOW.

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Just called, my kid's daycare is only delayed till 10am. Thank you, thank you. With my wife and mother both out of town, I didn't know how I was going to get this snow cleared and watch him at the same time.

Top Bottom