No one would accept, in any other national discussion, the level of ignorance seen in the gun debate

I like that they expect people who understand gun things to explain them. You know, what semi-auto means, the difference between a clip and a magazine, etc. But then when people explain it, they're bullying people with their gunsplaining.

My wife had a good response to the original gunsplaining article: there are some semantic battles worth fighting over. The difference between a clip and a magazine is really immaterial to an argument. But the term "assault weapon" is a made-up term that has no actual meaning other than to scare people.

The problem isn’t that the gun grabbers are ignorant, the problem is that they think their ignorance is irrelevant. Gun control is about emotion over fact and no matter what facts you present at the end of the debate the answer from the left will be the same emotional nonsense it’s always been - “Guns are scary”, “it’s for the children “, “if it saves just one life”.

My wife had a good response to the original gunsplaining article: there are some semantic battles worth fighting over. The difference between a clip and a magazine is really immaterial to an argument. But the term "assault weapon" is a made-up term that has no actual meaning other than to scare people.
This. We all know the difference between a magazine and stripper clips/mannlicher clips on here and I've come to take it in any debate with them that they are just referring to feeding devices. It really does come down to choose your battles.
Then again I've never really brought up the clip/magazine argument as it is. Most times if I ever want to explain to somebody it's how harmful the term assault weapon and its arbitrary classifications.
Bayonet lugs and bayonets have been obsolescent since the advent of metallic cartridges and only held on by the skin of their teeth until magazines took hold. Rifle grenades are going to fall under NFA items and are going to be incredibly cost prohibitive (especially after explaining the individual tax needed for each one) And honestly we all know the rest, but if you take the time to explain that to anybody that isn't completely lost to the noise they usually go "Yeah, that makes sense then."
Personally it's about picking your battles though entirely. I'd never allow myself to get caught in an argument with somebody I knew was true blue. That being said I still like the debate over muzzle devices and then proceeding to explain, that's A-OK with me. I'll just hook on the loudest muzzle break/compensator I can find since you won't allow me to have things to make a weapon hearing safe.

It's the same from the Left on Trump, their hatred won't allow them any rational thinking. They're so emotionally attached to their viewpoints and brainwashed you can't use facts and logic in discussions with them. Guns and Trump are evil and that's the bottom line.

Yeah, the headline is wrong. There’s ignorance in every debate. We just notice it with guns because it’s what we care about.

There is ignorance and willful ignorance. In this case, it is willful. They don’t want to know, because knowing isn’t relevant to their emotional position. It actually gets in the way of it.

This is not an uncommon phenomenon. It’s very common and seen everywhere in politics, and NES is certainly no exception. Emotion and bias trump logic and reason more often than not. It’s why we end up with the same type of terrible politicians repeatedly in ever level.

Back
Top Bottom